• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP ME FIND IT: "light multiple stain on top of back cover"
3 3

32 posts in this topic

Am I going blind?

I recently received a 26 book submission back from CGC.  All the grades were spot on (+ or - a grade or two here and there) as I expected...... 

Except for one grade I am baffled by.  Thankfully, it wasn't a high dollar book, but it is a book I'd like a high grade copy of in my PC.

I was expecting a 9.4, possibly 9.6 on a good day, and it ended up receiving a 8.0.  

The (only) Grader's note states:  "light multiple stain on top of back cover" 

I am moving up in age and my vision isn't what it used to be........ I just don't see the stains!!!

I do notice something peculiar going on over the "I" in Zinger, however it doesn't look like staining and may even be inner well touching the book? The marks in the white space to the right of the ad seem to be shadows from the scuffed case. 

Can anyone notice the stains? If so are they likely cleanable? and lastly do these stains warrant an 8.0?

Thanks!

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

Edited by eastriver400

On 3/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, Stronguy said:

Upper right seems to be suspect as does the spot about 2" from the left.  There is also a price "125" that appears to have been partially erased.

image.png.3bf64cf3f72313399dc3a96e6b534117.png

Thank you! 

I just checked again.

-The upper right is definitely shadows from the scuffed cased. 

-The spot two inches from the left is tiny and barely visible (i needed to take the photo and zoom to see it) and i am still not certain its a stain. I thought pencil mark for a second, but it looks more like the inner well is just stuck to the page there.

-Now that "125" WOW. it is absolutely impossible to see except for in your photo. (and if that was erased, would they call it a stain?). I don't seem to think so. 

Im baffled.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:13 PM, Stronguy said:

A lot of time the stains are not entirely visible on the outside cover but really show up on the inside where the acid from the pages could have made it worse.

Thats a good point.

Here is a better close up of the top left, AND also a picture of the top right without the shadowing from the scuffs. 

top left.JPG

top right.JPG

On 3/8/2023 at 5:34 PM, Stronguy said:

Maybe here?
image.png.e91cb0fb7cce7e19b1bf94474fec2eb2.png

I think you are right. Thats all I could imagine. I guess I will  take a look at the inside cover as you suggested. 

I hate to think I sent the book in without examining the inside cover, but who am I kidding? It wouldn't be the first time. 

Quick question, if a stain isn't present in the inside cover do you think the 8.0 makes sense based on that tiny mark alone?

Thanks so much for your input. 

I don't see ANYTHING!  Just pencil marks which are not big factor.  My strongest suspicion is those graders may be deceived by the inked area on the inside back cover that may be transparent on the back cover as the stain(s).  When I looked at the back cover, I saw the shadows as i thought it was the stains but I realized it was the printed area from inside. I believe they had a bad day upon your books.

Otherwise, the graders may find the "invisible" stain that is hard to see.  I suggested you to turn your book toward the light and find the stain on the surface.   If you don't find it, they may screw up.

Edited by JollyComics

On 3/8/2023 at 10:47 PM, JollyComics said:

I don't see ANYTHING!  Just pencil marks which are not big factor.  My strongest suspicion is those graders may be deceived by the inked area on the inside back cover that may be transparent on the back cover as the stain(s).  When I looked at the back cover, I saw the shadows as i thought it was the stains but I realized it was the printed area from inside. I believe they had a bad day upon your books.

Otherwise, the graders may find the "invisible" stain that is hard to see.  I suggested you to turn your book toward the light and find the stain on the surface.   If you don't find it, they may screw up.

I’ve turned it toward the light and every which way I could. Still don’t see a stain!! Maybe as suggested above, it’s in the inside cover. I’m going to have to crack it open this weekend. 

thanks for your input. 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, eastriver400 said:

I’ve turned it toward the light and every which way I could. Still don’t see a stain!! Maybe as suggested above, it’s in the inside cover. I’m going to have to crack it open this weekend. 

thanks for your input. 

:eek: (yikes!) but :wishluck: (good luck on your finding!)

On 3/8/2023 at 5:13 PM, Stronguy said:

A lot of time the stains are not entirely visible on the outside cover but really show up on the inside where the acid from the pages could have made it worse.

This right here

You get those tiny yellow stain marks from the acid on the inside edges. If that’s not it then you got a very harsh grader (possible) or someone putting the wrong notes and grade for your book (equally as possible)

Ok here we go. I had to crack it. 

INSIDE BACK COVER: No stain whatsoever on the inside cover. There is red ink bleeding from the Zingers ad on the back cover. Again that isn't staining. 

BACK COVER UNSLABBED: Looks even less like a stain of any sort, however at the right angle under direct light, I do see what looks like scraping? 

Would love to hear your opinions now. @Stronguy @Funnybooks @JollyComics @theCapraAegagrus @comicginger1789 @joeypost

Thanks so much. Im obsessing. 

Interior.JPG

UNSLABBED .JPG

• Administrator
On 3/9/2023 at 1:26 PM, Funnybooks said:

it's a beautiful copy. I would trust your instincts and consider sending this copy back with a note asking the graders to point out exactly where they see the defect(s) that would knock this copy down to an 8.0.

@CGC Mike

what's the recourse Mike?

Let me check with the team.