• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting "Wizard: The Comics Magazine" #83. Is it a comic or a magazine?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm looking to submit issue 83 of "Wizard: The Comics Magazine" for the Adam Hughes signature series.  Based on the measurements, it appears to be more appropriate to submit as a comic.  However, when I use the comic lookup, I only see 8 options for Wizard: The Comics Magazine (as seen below).  None of the options are #83.  Am I selected the right category here (comics rather than magazines)?  And if so, is this just something I'll need to manually add in myself?

image.thumb.png.be2567dd381547d0419e36b2c270ecd7.png

Looking at the CGC Census, it appears that there aren't any graded copies of issue 83 and that's probably why you aren't finding it in the drop down. You'll most likely need to manually add the information.

If you've measured it, and it's a standard comic size, then you should be good to go with submitting it as a comic. (thumbsu According to their website:

CGC grades most comic books that fit within the following dimensions: 10-1/2" tall x 7-5/8" wide x 1/4" thick (except comics with hard covers or jeweled covers).

Also, according to the CGC website: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8474/cgc-magazines/

In 2009, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), the world’s leading comic book certification company, introduced grading and encapsulation services for magazines, starting with Sports Illustrated and Playboy. Today, CGC Magazines certifies most of the industry’s best-known titles, including Newsweek, Time and TV Guide, as well as comic magazines such as Wizard, Marvel magazines and Vampirella.

I suspect -- but don't know for sure -- that Wizards might have been allowed to fly as comics before CGC started grading magazines, but nowadays they're most likely going to be required to be classified as magazines.

Also: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10392/Adam-Hughes-Signing/

Note: If you want to submit magazines, please group them together on their own private signing form separate from comic submissions.

The Adam Hughes deadline is April 14, 2023, so @1337pino has probably already submitted by now. I personally think Wizards should be allowed to be submitted as comics, but it would be nice if @CGC Mike or someone else in authority could provide a definitive answer.

All comics are in fact magazines anyway and Wizards aren't genetically different enough from something like Marvel Age to merit being forced through the separate magazine process, IMHO.

Edited by SlabSeeker

On 4/9/2023 at 11:29 AM, SlabSeeker said:

Also, according to the CGC website: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8474/cgc-magazines/

I suspect -- but don't know for sure -- that Wizards might have been allowed to fly as comics before CGC started grading magazines, but nowadays they're most likely going to be required to be classified as magazines.

Also: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10392/Adam-Hughes-Signing/

The Adam Hughes deadline is April 14, 2023, so @1337pino has probably already submitted by now. I personally think Wizards should be allowed to be submitted as comics, but it would be nice if @CGC Mike or someone else in authority could provide a definitive answer.

All comics are in fact magazines anyway and Wizards aren't genetically different enough from something like Marvel Age to merit being forced through the separate magazine process, IMHO.

Since I was in a rush for answers before the Adam Hughes deadline, I ended up making a second thread in "Ask CGC" (https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/520009-what-wizard-title-do-we-use-for-a-submission/?do=findComment&comment=12739700 ) and got the following CGC response from @MattM CS

On 3/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, MattM CS said:

Thank you for your patience.

Wizard Magazine is unfortunately a mess in our census. This stems from during its long run, Wizard changed its subtitle several times (The Comics Magazine, The Guide to Comics, etc.) and also changed format from comic-size to magazine-size. The way the census is reporting currently is correct at this time. I am sorry for the inconvenience. If you ever would like to submit one of these books, please submit it as a comic with a title as close to what you can find on the submission form. Our team will update this accordingly once it has made it to the graders. Thank you for understanding!

Based on that advise, I submitted this issue as a comic submission since it fits that size slab and CGC is still working out the issues with the census.

Yay, that's great! :banana: I didn't realize they increased the trim size later in the run because it was still comic-sized when I quit buying it. I've got a few early issues still in the polybags that I've been thinking about getting graded but didn't want to pay the higher magazine fees in addition to having a longer turnaround time. I need to dig them out and take a closer look at what I've got now. 

For sure.  A big part of the issue for me wasn't just the ambiguous size, but as I mentioned in the other thread, the census has multiple titles listed that appear to be the same issue of Wizard BUT they have differing census counts for the number of graded books:

On 3/17/2023 at 10:04 PM, 1337pino said:

Hi, in the census, there appear to be multiple listings for Wizard (aka "Wizard: The Magazine of Comics, Entertainment and Pop Culture", "Wizard: The Guide to Comics", and "Wizard: The Comics Magazine") in the CGC census.  How do I know what title to use when submitting?  There even appears to be some duplication in the issues between these titles (I highlighted a couple below and added links to their census pages...they seem to be identical with the exception of the census counts).

1. Wizard: The Comics Magazine (publisher = Wizard Entertainment).  This listing has issues 100, 133, 134, 147, 149, 152, 154, and 155.
  2. Wizard (publisher = Wizard Entertainment).  This listing has issues 0, 25, 78, 80, 81, 84, 86, 91, 92, 94, 95, 97, 102, 106, 119, 121, 129, 136, 139, 144, 154, 159, 164, 165, 181, 185,186, 187, 198, 203, 206, 210, 211, 213, 215, 217, 218, 221, 228, and 232
  3. Wizard (publisher = Wizard pub.).  This listing has issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 22, 26, 28, 30, 31, 32, 37, 39, 40, 44, 50, 53, 55, 60, 62, 63, 64, 66, 70, 72, 77, 84, 86, 89, 121, 122, 131,153, 172, and 178
  4. Wizard: The Guide to Comics (publisher = Wizard pub.).  This listing has issues 6, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24

That's going to be the important thing for them to sort out first.