• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bringing books back into Canada...million dollar book 0o

6 posts in this topic

I recently went and picked up a box of 30 slabs (comic books i owned already, did not purchase) i sent into CGC. I pick-up in Detroit when they are done to save time. When i crossed back in to Canada, i declared i had the books. They were very clearly in a box front seat at my side. The lady had

NO IDEA what was going on as, when i explained how they put them in a protective cover, she replied, why would you do that, now you cant read it? 0o ...sigh, i KNEW i was in trouble then. While in secondary, (sigh) the border guard explained how they have the right to charge my duty on the value of the book as well as the cost of the grading >!?!>0o

So, if i send a $2000 book to get an autograph,that i paid $30 for years ago, they are going to hit me with a duty of $2500 ( the new value after it being signed as they dictate) when it gets shipped back. If i then send that same book to get graded, they going to charge me duty on a book now worth the $2500 PLUS the cost of the grading. And finally i can afford to get it slabbed and they, again charge me duty on the SAME BOOK they already charged me twice for...what kinda scam is that?? I play with small amounts..but, lets say you have a $250,000 golden age set. You send that out a few times...its gunna be worth millions ...smh...fo real >???

THAT has to be illegal>???

On 3/19/2023 at 9:24 PM, Tyler :) said:

I recently went and picked up a box of 30 slabs (comic books i owned already, did not purchase) i sent into CGC. I pick-up in Detroit when they are done to save time. When i crossed back in to Canada, i declared i had the books. They were very clearly in a box front seat at my side. The lady had

NO IDEA what was going on as, when i explained how they put them in a protective cover, she replied, why would you do that, now you cant read it? 0o ...sigh, i KNEW i was in trouble then. While in secondary, (sigh) the border guard explained how they have the right to charge my duty on the value of the book as well as the cost of the grading >!?!>0o

So, if i send a $2000 book to get an autograph,that i paid $30 for years ago, they are going to hit me with a duty of $2500 ( the new value after it being signed as they dictate) when it gets shipped back. If i then send that same book to get graded, they going to charge me duty on a book now worth the $2500 PLUS the cost of the grading. And finally i can afford to get it slabbed and they, again charge me duty on the SAME BOOK they already charged me twice for...what kinda scam is that?? I play with small amounts..but, lets say you have a $250,000 golden age set. You send that out a few times...its gunna be worth millions ...smh...fo real >???

THAT has to be illegal>???

@greggy

I’m not sure what the answer is, but bring/print out all the documentation of everything including proof of ownership, proof of submission and cost, how much you paid, the current market value, and any research you have done ahead of time.

honestly I would call a comic dealer near the border and see if they have insight, or call customs directly and ask

But I would generally carrying high value anything back and forth over a border is gonna be a hassle, potentially a costly one

Just let Fedex  bring it back for lesser value books. Problem solved.

I'll probably never see the light of day when I'm bringing a 250k-1 million dollar book back across the border myself and godspeed if you are ;-) Not quite sure in that instance but for the smaller stuff it's normally good.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

I thought that there was paper work that you could fill out that allowed you to send books to CGC; get them graded; and then allow them to be sent back to Canada without having to pay duty - on the book portion anyway.  Ask CGC.  Failing that, let's see what follow Canadian collectors have to say.  Failing THAT, contact Customs.

You may well have to pay tax on the grading portion.  I seem to remember that if you have your car repaired in the US you could be liable for tax/duty on that so paying tax/duty on grading would be a logical extension.