• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best (or favorite) documentary about Pulps?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

What good pulp documentaries have you seen or would you recommend?

I'm a college professor who teaches a class on sci-fi, fantasy, and horror in media, and I have to do a LOT of heavy lifting when it comes to explaining what pulp magazines were and how important they were in popular culture in their heyday. I show photos of newsstands from back in the day, and my students are amazed at the sheer number of titles available for sale in any month.

But they get tired of listening to me drone on, so I'd like to assign a film or video essay. I found a pretty good one on YouTube that focused on sci-fi pulps, then focused almost exclusively on L. Ron Hubbard, and...yeah. I'd prefer something more balanced.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you might have.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:51 AM, Northwest said:

Hi here is one documentary to consider. You'll want to screen it prior to ensure it's age appropriate 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0485978QSZwaWQ9QXBp

Yes, definitely screen it beforehand, especially it you are a college professor in Florida!

Pulp: a film about life, death & supermarkets. This a great movie that is rated by IMDb and rotten tomatoes on a high level. And it’s also pretty easy to mark some useful pieces in scenes for your students. I'm also a teacher and I use movies and allow them to find materials from writing bros for example. It's great to find new ways of teaching. Try it!

Edited by Riposte