• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Damage
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I just received my ASM 300 back from the Todd McFarlane signing.  I had the book CCS pressed and am extremely happy with the 9.6 grade.  Unfortunately the book came back with a slight tear at the bottom of the spine that wasn’t there when I submitted it. Can this tear be pressed back down to its original position and how much will it affect the grade?  Is it even worth the grade drop? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

76FFFE59-E993-4999-A1B6-7E6EA1ADE164.jpeg

C15F08E6-D966-458A-B3FA-0D6B23FC3B92.jpeg

Edited by Miketimus_Prime

If it was graded after it was torn, just folding the flap down won't make any difference; the grade is the grade because of the tear, and the tear will still be there even if you fold down the flap--so theoretically, reholdering the book with the flap down instead of up should make no difference in the grade.

If the book was torn during encapsulation--after it was graded--then there is a likelihood of the grade going down if it is regraded--on top of the normal everyday risks that are assumed by sending your books on vacation in Florida for the summer.

Edited by Axe Elf

On 3/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, Axe Elf said:

If it was graded after it was torn, just folding the flap down won't make any difference; the grade is the grade because of the tear, and the tear will still be there even if you fold down the flap--so theoretically, reholdering the book with the flap down instead of up should make no difference in the grade.

If the book was torn during encapsulation--after it was graded--then there is a likelihood of the grade going down if it is regraded--on top of the normal everyday risks that are assumed by sending your books on vacation in Florida for the summer.

Probably it will be the same grade if you use the mechanical error submission.   I am currently waiting for my Bone #3 CGC 9.6.  Debris trapped between the case and inner case and the book may be damaged.  I hope they correct it then keep the same grade.

looks like encapsulation damage to me. I have a Planet Comics I submitted that had a small slight tear that became monstrous after grading during the encapsulation.

Really disappointing considering how hard these canadian editions are to find in decent shape. It used to be a 5.0 :(

Bottom right corner also now torn off.

20230324_195257.jpg

20230324_195235.jpg

20230324_195228.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 3/24/2023 at 8:51 PM, Artboy99 said:

looks like encapsulation damage to me. I have a Planet Comics I submitted that had a small slight tear that became monstrous after grading during the encapsulation.

Really disappointing considering how hard these canadian editions are to find in decent shape. It used to be a 5.0 :(

Bottom right corner also now torn off.

20230324_195257.jpg

20230324_195235.jpg

20230324_195228.jpg

That's a really old comic book!

On 3/24/2023 at 8:57 PM, JollyComics said:

Probably it will be the same grade if you use the mechanical error submission. 

Jolly's right. They'll probably keep the grade. But it'll be CYA grade....no way would that receive a 9.6 if you submitted it raw.