• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great collection.

44 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I did hear about the collection I just never saw the books on video. I also had No idea that the Batman 1 above was from this collection Thanks Peter.

Apparently, this collection is being broken up and sold already. I bought this one and a few others from Harley at WonderCon on Friday. No notation or mention of the collection. I was just buying the books. After I paid, he asked me if I wanted the COA? He filled it out and slipped it behind the back board. So now I guess I’m part of the new hype…

8488DB15-15A4-4F95-8C89-6767C33242F0.jpeg

C84D2112-8562-4B27-81B5-53B2903C37F6.jpeg

On 3/28/2023 at 5:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Apparently, this collection is being broken up and sold already. I bought this one and a few others from Harley at WonderCon on Friday. No notation or mention of the collection. I was just buying the books. After I paid, he asked me if I wanted the COA? He filled it out and slipped it behind the back board. So now I guess I’m part of the new hype…

8488DB15-15A4-4F95-8C89-6767C33242F0.jpeg

C84D2112-8562-4B27-81B5-53B2903C37F6.jpeg

I hope they keep a few good ones because the cash goes very fast.I think it is nice just to have a piece of history and an Everett cover to boot :bigsmile:

On 3/28/2023 at 7:48 PM, comicjack said:

I hope they keep a few good ones because the cash goes very fast.I think it is nice just to have a piece of history and an Everett cover to boot :bigsmile:

Well.......cash does go fast if you spend it fast. I'm thinking from what I just saw were looking at at least 20 milllion dollars but who knows except for them at this point. It's a lot. Hats off to that man for saving all that stuff. Really incredible.

After thinking about it for 2 more minutes I think at least 50 million would be a safe bet.

https://www.sellingsuperman.com/

Too bad they chose to use a name like FANTASTIC collecton instead of naming it after the person who collected it. Everything has to be so commercial now. 

Edited by Professor K

Great collection indeed! Truly a 1/1 type of collection that each of us would love to discover, or in this case inherited. 

I was reading comments about other people's viewpoint on different social media platforms and it seems that there are two sides/groups that are happening.

On one side of the group are people who are pissed off with the ex-wife (she divorced him because of hoarding all this stuff around the house) and the son (for not entirely interested with anything and resented his dad for amassing the collection) because of the $$$ signs they see after selling Dale's (the father) collection.  Now that he has passed away, they are both on board and are praising him for the collection because they are reaping the rewards.

On the other side, there are those who emphatize with the family because as JollyComics mentioned above, Dale placed his collection above his own wife and son and not telling them exactly what he was doing. Everything was kept a secret and that no one is allowed to see exactly what he was buying. Yes that can put a strain to the marriage and father/son relationships. 

But anyways, to each there own. Would've been great to hear Dale's side of the story, but unfortunately that won't happen.

Also what I gathered is that Dale was a regular at his lcs Kingdom Comics ij Detroit back in the late 70's and early 80's. Must've been the time he picked up some of these treasures.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:44 AM, Dark Knight said:

Great collection indeed! Truly a 1/1 type of collection that each of us would love to discover, or in this case inherited. 

I was reading comments about other people's viewpoint on different social media platforms and it seems that there are two sides/groups that are happening.

On one side of the group are people who are pissed off with the ex-wife (she divorced him because of hoarding all this stuff around the house) and the son (for not entirely interested with anything and resented his dad for amassing the collection) because of the $$$ signs they see after selling Dale's (the father) collection.  Now that he has passed away, they are both on board and are praising him for the collection because they are reaping the rewards.

On the other side, there are those who emphatize with the family because as JollyComics mentioned above, Dale placed his collection above his own wife and son and not telling them exactly what he was doing. Everything was kept a secret and that no one is allowed to see exactly what he was buying. Yes that can put a strain to the marriage and father/son relationships. 

But anyways, to each there own. Would've been great to hear Dale's side of the story, but unfortunately that won't happen.

Also what I gathered is that Dale was a regular at his lcs Kingdom Comics ij Detroit back in the late 70's and early 80's. Must've been the time he picked up some of these treasures.

I think that the guy had uncanny foresight to build a veritable life changing gameplan, and while I can understand that this caused a divide in the family, I too share the opinion that now that  his "craziness" is gonna translate into a truckload of cash, that he passed from "obsessed loser to hero" in a heartbeat and gained all kinds of newfound "love and admiration". If his collection would have turned out to be worthless, he'd still be that "obsessed loser"

Edited by Gotham Kid

I don't know why, but I can't help but dwell on the contrast between the way this discovery of a family-owned and special hoard was brought to the public and handled since, and the way the Promise collection continues to remain a mystery in numerous respects.  It gives me pause about the authenticity of the whole Promise story (not of the books, but of the circumstances surrounding the books, including whether it was just a single "regular" family who owned them as opposed to a group of scheming collectors/dealers who figured out a way to cash out big).  Of course I hope it was/is legit!  But this is why, for me at least, transparency is so important in this hobby.  For example, to this day, not one interview with a family member relating to the Promise stuff, and everything about it was controlled by the auction house?  And no more details of the location of the books since the announcement of the find?  Is that right?  Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll revise this  specific post accordingly). 

I would much prefer to restore my faith in that find, as it affected the pricing of many non-Promise books along the way, and to this day. The inclusion of Promise sales on GPA/GoCollect inevitably continues unduly to affect how one prices the books in surrounding grades of the same issue.  Because the Promise stuff included formerly obscure and dollar bin GA books that now went for a lot more (sometimes A LOT more) due the Promise label, it also likely affected the pricing of numerous formerly unremarkable run books.  Someone less experienced with the hobby surely made the mistake, at least temporarily, of thinking all GA books were valuable due to being uncommon/old after seing that Promise result in GPA or GoCollect, etc.  I recall some examples of the really crazy prices fetched by not just Promise books, but non-ped versions of formerly unremarkable books since the Promise event. Some of those were posted here by boardies.  That the Promise event caused this wide-reaching price distortion is unfortunate for the unwary, but it likely would have happened regardless of the authenticity of the circumstances of the Promise books.  So while also troubling, the wide-reaching distortion would be easier to accept if I could at least be less suspicious of the alleged circumstances/story of the Promise find, and relatedly, its initial valuations. 

Edited by Pantodude

The most interesting thing to me in the video was the storage container rooms. I’m assuming they were buried on the property next to the foundation of the house then accessed through the basement. Wonder what kind of permits were needed for that. (shrug)

On 3/29/2023 at 8:53 AM, Jayman said:

The most interesting thing to me in the video was the storage container rooms. I’m assuming they were buried on the property next to the foundation of the house then accessed through the basement. Wonder what kind of permits were needed for that. (shrug)

Wow, so you think they are storage containers like the ones they use for overseas shipping that are buried underground? Like these? 

largest-shipping-container-manufacturers.jpg

On 3/29/2023 at 12:19 PM, Professor K said:

Wow, so you think they are storage containers like the ones they use for overseas shipping that are buried underground? Like these? 

They look like it to me, my wife’s ex father-in-law bought a used one for on his farm a couple of years ago to store his tractors in. His is just plopped on his property and looks very much like the ones from the video, doors and all.

On 3/29/2023 at 12:53 PM, Jayman said:

They look like it to me, my wife’s ex father-in-law bought a used one for on his farm a couple of years ago to store his tractors in. His is just plopped on his property and looks very much like the ones from the video, doors and all.

Ok. Ive heard of people even turning them into homes. I wouldn't want to live in one. Must have cost a lot of money setting all that up. They must have began the work right after Dad passed to get all that done. 

So they are making a documentary on this. I wonder how popular it will be. Good points Pantodude on the difference between the marketing of the two