• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great collection.

44 posts in this topic

We talk about collectors so desperate to get a comic they'll run over grandma, and now we've found him.  I'm surprised no one has started a fund for his statue.

I posted this video in one of the threads about this find in the General forum, but for those that haven't watched it already, here's Regie from the Regie Collects Comics YouTube channel interviewing the guy who is selling the comics off (the son).  Just hit play, it's cued up (but if it isn't, the interview starts at the 14:05 mark)  :

Edited by Telegan

On 3/29/2023 at 7:47 AM, Pantodude said:

I don't know why, but I can't help but dwell on the contrast between the way this discovery of a family-owned and special hoard was brought to the public and handled since, and the way the Promise collection continues to remain a mystery in numerous respects.  It gives me pause about the authenticity of the whole Promise story (not of the books, but of the circumstances surrounding the books, including whether it was just a single "regular" family who owned them as opposed to a group of scheming collectors/dealers who figured out a way to cash out big).  Of course I hope it was/is legit!  But this is why, for me at least, transparency is so important in this hobby.  For example, to this day, not one interview with a family member relating to the Promise stuff, and everything about it was controlled by the auction house?  And no more details of the location of the books since the announcement of the find?  Is that right?  Please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll revise this  specific post accordingly). 

I would much prefer to restore my faith in that find, as it affected the pricing of many non-Promise books along the way, and to this day. The inclusion of Promise sales on GPA/GoCollect inevitably continues unduly to affect how one prices the books in surrounding grades of the same issue.  Because the Promise stuff included formerly obscure and dollar bin GA books that now went for a lot more (sometimes A LOT more) due the Promise label, it also likely affected the pricing of numerous formerly unremarkable run books.  Someone less experienced with the hobby surely made the mistake, at least temporarily, of thinking all GA books were valuable due to being uncommon/old after seing that Promise result in GPA or GoCollect, etc.  I recall some examples of the really crazy prices fetched by not just Promise books, but non-ped versions of formerly unremarkable books since the Promise event. Some of those were posted here by boardies.  That the Promise event caused this wide-reaching price distortion is unfortunate for the unwary, but it likely would have happened regardless of the authenticity of the circumstances of the Promise books.  So while also troubling, the wide-reaching distortion would be easier to accept if I could at least be less suspicious of the alleged circumstances/story of the Promise find, and relatedly, its initial valuations. 

With the Promise Collection, we figured out a long time ago that the original owner, Armand, was Armand Mezzopera, who did die during the Korean War. I don't think that Heritage ever acknowledged his ownership, but the evidence was overwhelming.