• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading guarantee?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2023 at 5:37 AM, Nevah said:

Look up SCS, Shaken Comic Syndrome.

Isn't this a CGC problem? If their cases can lead to SCS, shouldn't they take note of this and try to improve their cases to prevent SCS?

Wait. I have an idea. Just have the entire comic placed inside a lucite holder. :jokealert: You would never be able to read the issue. However, my guess is that the people who open their CGC slabs are in the minority. 

Angle view of Lucite® Badge Embedment with probation officer service badge cast inside clear acrylic.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 3/29/2023 at 6:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Common" does not mean "on every copy". It means that it's common enough of a MFG defect that it's not held against the grade, outside of keeping it from Mint/Gem Mint.

It would seem logical that a grading company would note on the slab or in grader notes of any acceptable MFG defect.  Maybe that's asking too much.  (shrug)

Edited by SpiderParker

On 3/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, SpiderParker said:

It would seem logical that a grading company would note on the slab or in grader notes of any acceptable MFG defect.  Maybe that's asking too much.  (shrug)

That's an idea that I would be on-board with. I generally don't have a clue which issues have acceptable MFG defects, and that would help explain right away rather than having to ask the boards/etc.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:39 AM, Nevah said:
On 3/29/2023 at 5:31 AM, SpiderParker said:

I get your point but PCGS also guarantees paper currency the same as coins.  

Comic books have pages inside!

Yeah, there's no comparison to be made there. The things that were graded before comics are essentially two-dimensional objects. Comics are multiple sheets of paper, usually attached with staples, and much heavier than those other things (with the possible exception of some coins).

Since nobody has posted it yet, this is the CGC Guarantee. That's it.

On 3/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, Lazyboy said:

Then stop complaining, because nothing is going to change. (shrug)

Change comes from new ideas and essentially complaining and coming up with solutions to problems.  Having the attitude of "this is how it is, deal with it because nothing will change" gets nobody anywhere.  

Edited by SpiderParker

On 3/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, SpiderParker said:

Change comes from new ideas and essentially complaining and coming up with solutions to problems.  Having the attitude of "this is how it is, deal with because nothing will change" gets nobody anywhere.  

Change comes from willingness to change. You just said you were unwilling to change, so how can you expect it from CGC? Why would they change with no incentive?

On 3/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Change comes from willingness to change. You just said you were unwilling to change, so how can you expect it from CGC? Why would they change with no incentive?

You guys expect me to stop collecting slab books because of this?  :roflmao: I'm just careful of what I buy.  Getting them to want to change has to start somewhere sitting there and taking it is not the answer.