• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there an App for cataloging graded comics?

17 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 12:38 PM, cd4ever said:

One where you simply scan the barcode or enter in the serial number and, boom, it's cataloged. Complete with all label information and maybe a value from covrprice or something.  

If there was one that did all of this I would definitely pay for it. 

On 3/31/2023 at 11:55 AM, Stefan_W said:

If there was one that did all of this I would definitely pay for it. 

Seems like low hanging fruit to me. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:56 PM, cd4ever said:

Seems like low hanging fruit to me. 

We started down this road a few years ago...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/399686-scanning-the-cgc-bar-code/#comments

I built an Excel front-end using this data but never ported it to a smartphone app. The biggest issue was with CGC limiting the amount of data scraping - believe the old limits have since been lifted or at least increased when they made graders notes free. Back then, you could only do about 10 searches per session before they locked you for some time.

The QR codes are a step in the right direction, but with millions of older slabs out there, the only consistent source has been the barcode.

There's quite a bit of untapped value-added services that could be offered to members from the data CGC has amassed which would further separate them from their competitors (a.k.a. a competitive marketing advantage).

-bc

On 3/31/2023 at 1:20 PM, bc said:

We started down this road a few years ago...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/399686-scanning-the-cgc-bar-code/#comments

I built an Excel front-end using this data but never ported it to a smartphone app. The biggest issue was with CGC limiting the amount of data scraping - believe the old limits have since been lifted or at least increased when they made graders notes free. Back then, you could only do about 10 searches per session before they locked you for some time.

The QR codes are a step in the right direction, but with millions of older slabs out there, the only consistent source has been the barcode.

There's quite a bit of untapped value-added services that could be offered to members from the data CGC has amassed which would further separate them from their competitors (a.k.a. a competitive marketing advantage).

-bc

How is there not a CGC app that does all this?  

One thing I have noticed is that Heritage is linking/tapping external data sources (including CGC) in their auction listings. This has to be done "programmatically" because of the manual labor this would require for even a regular weekend auction.

Picked a random book in the current auction and here's all the data HA offers:

1. You get the CGC information (typically found on the label) & basic census data in the description

image.thumb.png.57802041133f619d11a1680617b6c3c6.png

2. You get the Graders notes from CGC (and a direct link to them)

image.png.b68f729aea58d8dfaa91b7383cd2886e.png

3. You get detailed CGC Census data

image.thumb.png.6e30efa9363fa9c82b4789462e2d61bd.png

4. You get a pricing perspective

image.thumb.png.8f4c2efc0bf4422a09024d3b17a5a9b0.png

For those who subscribe to CGCDATA, there's a link for that as well as to GoCollect.

This should all be part of a "CGC App" as well as the simple ability to save scanned books into a personal database (like a Custom Set in the Registry which already includes user provided data and security access).

Seems like low hanging fruit is dying on the vine,

-bc

Edited by bc
typo

On 3/31/2023 at 11:11 AM, cd4ever said:

Their new owners...buttstone or whoever.....should be all over that. Yearly sub...19.99 or something. 

Buttstone...., I like it.

CLZ does this but you need to add the SN manually. It provides a link to the cert look-up once you do.

2023-03-31_14-48-26.thumb.jpg.0170661637233605ec674ba730c40bcd.jpg

On 3/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, lizards2 said:

App? What are you, under 50?

No but I have a 15 year old daughter.  You should see my tik tok page! 

On 3/31/2023 at 1:53 PM, universal soldier said:

CLZ does this but you need to add the SN manually. It provides a link to the cert look-up once you do.

2023-03-31_14-48-26.thumb.jpg.0170661637233605ec674ba730c40bcd.jpg

You still need to scan the barcode of the comic or enter it in manually if there is no barcode, correct? And then you can enter the certification number. Or am I high? 

On 3/31/2023 at 3:10 PM, cd4ever said:

You still need to scan the barcode of the comic or enter it in manually if there is no barcode, correct? And then you can enter the certification number. Or am I high? 

You are correct sir. The scanner works well with new comics, I haven't tried it with any newstands or the like. 

am I high? 

hm :peace:

The slab cert# is a subset of the full 26 digit barcode:

Barcode : 00048291692162110101377004

Cert#: 0101377004 (or the last 10 digits of the barcode)

Cert# = Invoice#  (0101377) + InvoiceItem# (004)

-bc

On 3/31/2023 at 2:10 PM, cd4ever said:

I think there may be some confusion in the thread about the functionality being requested here.  The Collectorz/CLZ app allows you to enter the CGC certification number, but that won't get you the information about the comic book (like the name, artists, publisher, etc.).  There's just a placeholder to record the certification number.  After you enter the comic book, you can click that certification number and it will take you to the certlookup page on CGC's site.  That functionality doesn't give you all the info about the comic, like the title, artists, plot, publication date, etc.

However there is functionality in the CLZ apps that if it's a more modern comic book with a barcode (not the CGC barcode, but the comic's barcode/UPC label), you can scan it with your phone and, assuming it's in their database, it will add all the info like title, artists, plot, publication date, etc. into the software/app without you having to type it all.  But like I said, it's great for more modern comics, but for older comics that don't have barcodes/UPC, that functionality obviously isn't there.

But the CLZ apps do allow you to type the name of the comic series or the name and issue number of the comic and search their database for it and basically just hit "add" and it enters all the aforementioned data.  No way in hell I would use Excel again after using apps like this to enter and maintain a comic book database.  Not to mention you can link your comics to CovrPrice and it will update the comic's value with CovrPrice's estimated value (or you can enter your own value).  The only issue people may have is you have to pay for the apps. lol.  But like I said, for me it's been a life and time saver.

Edited by Telegan