• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ooopsie.

21 posts in this topic

I was handling a old marvel silver age that was brittle and I was careless and the top part of the spine split about 1/4" from the top. It was previously around a 3.5 grade I'd say. How much does this new damage drop the grade? Any thoughts. 

Brady

On 3/31/2023 at 12:20 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Oops indeed! Bad luck. I would say adding a quarter inch spine split to a VG minus still leaves it at the same grade, but I would question whether a brittle comic is worthy of that high a grade to begin with. 

It wasn't that brittle. It's more that I was careless. But it was a CGC 3.5 that I cracked for the purpose of improving. So I know it was a 3.5 by their standard. I'm sure it's less now and lesson learned. 

I doubt it has dropped as I'm sure a small split is allowed at 3.5 so why not post some pics in the Buddy can you spare a grade section? Just remember not to reveal the original grade as it's a blind grading exercise. Just describe the main flaws if not readily apparent. Be interesting to see what other board members make of it. 

On 3/31/2023 at 12:31 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I doubt it has dropped as I'm sure a small split is allowed at 3.5 so why not post some pics in the Buddy can you spare a grade section? Just remember not to reveal the original grade as it's a blind grading exercise. Just describe the main flaws if not readily apparent. Be interesting to see what other board members make of it. 

I might. It's a valuable book so I think I'm just trying to avoid the judgement of others lol. 

You can have a 1/4" spine split in a 6.0 and a 1/2" spine split in a 5.0, so you're not hurting your 3.5 grade any.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

On 3/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I once accidentally knocked a tiny corner off a very high grade ASM 34, but I learned to love it again afterwards. So I feel your pain, but it will pass. There's always counselling. 

I once put a 6 inch long slice into the back cover of a F copy of Shock Suspenstories 6 putting it back into the mylar.

Mylar can be sharp...be careful.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:07 PM, Artboy99 said:

you could resubmit it even with the additional defect and see a grade bump. (shrug)

I was doing a HOP treatment to get some stains out and I was successful with that actually. But the overlay stuck to the cover and I was not careful enough peeling it off and the cover tore. So maybe I could still get a bump....lol That wold be hilarious. 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:36 PM, Brady Smith said:

I was doing a HOP treatment to get some stains out and I was successful with that actually. But the overlay stuck to the cover and I was not careful enough peeling it off and the cover tore. So maybe I could still get a bump....lol That wold be hilarious. 

Why would you ever need an overlay on a book?

On 4/1/2023 at 10:56 PM, Bob Lobblaw said:

I assume he's talking about open top Mylar4s. The Mylar2s with flap don't carry the same risk.

yes, it was an open top rigid mylar, I *hate* using them now and voraciously replace any I see on any books. 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, Brady Smith said:

HOP treatment

overlay stuck

peeling it off

cover tore

On 4/2/2023 at 7:06 AM, joeypost said:

👍 I assumed it had to do with whatever a HOP treatment is. 

I googled HOP treatment comics and found:

Heat Overlay Press Stain Removal

Edited by Artboy99

On 3/31/2023 at 1:57 PM, Brady Smith said:

I was handling a old marvel silver age that was brittle and I was careless and the top part of the spine split about 1/4" from the top. It was previously around a 3.5 grade I'd say. How much does this new damage drop the grade? Any thoughts. 

Brady

You "should" be able to structurally repair it with archival glue and end up with a book that won't fall apart the next time you touch it. CGC'a policy that any repair is a form of restoration should be reconsidered. People don't want to conserve their books because of the purple label. Meanwhile, fragile books continue to deteriorate and sustain more damage during handling. Sealing splits and tears should be acceptable in higher grades than now allowed if professionally executed.

-IMO