• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying first graded book purchase
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Just a bit of a rant:

Bought my first ever comic book (cgc slabbed) on ebay this week. It arrived today and the seller put an invoice inside the protective sleeve that the slab was in. The ink from the invoice ran all over the slab and it was covered in ink.

Was so excited to get my first book. Has anyone else had this happen?

It seemed to mostly wipe off, and maybe I'm being too precious, but decided to return it.

Rant over. Hoping my collecting experience goes up from here!

* Want to add that this seller was very understanding, apologized, and immediately offered a return if I wanted it. 

Edited by lowball

On 3/31/2023 at 5:18 PM, lowball said:

Just a bit of a rant:

Bought my first ever comic book (cgc slabbed) on ebay this week. It arrived today and the seller put an invoice inside the protective sleeve that the slab was in. The ink from the invoice ran all over the slab and it was covered in ink.

Was so excited to get my first book. Has anyone else had this happen?

It seemed to mostly wipe off, and maybe I'm being too precious, but decided to return it.

Rant over. Hoping my collecting experience goes up from here!

Any pics of what the slab looked like before or after?

On 3/31/2023 at 8:25 PM, fastballspecial said:

Really thats an oddball. Ive never heard that one before, but I always put the slab in 
some plastic of some sort to help seal it. I would not put the invoice in with it.

That's what I would have thought too. It's probably just a fluke

Edited by lowball

On 4/1/2023 at 12:32 AM, Lightning55 said:

Rookie move on the seller's part, clueless. But returning it sounds like an overreaction. I would think the printer ink is water soluble, don't know of any that aren't. Spraying with window cleaner should handle it. 

Is cleaning slabs with window cleaner a normal practice? Never really thought about it

Edited by lowball

On 4/1/2023 at 12:45 AM, ExNihilo said:

When people complain about light scuffing, I'm like 'I don't get, but ok, whatever.'  The book is undamaged, the case has done it's job.  It's not something I fuss about.  When people complain about Newton Rings, I'm like 'yeah, I wish CGC would do something to fix it.'  But ink rub off an invoice is a new one.  Especially when it seems like an easily fixed solution.  And returning the book to top it off.  I imagine there are a few sellers in the ebay blocked list thread that would block you instantly just to avoid future issues.

Most times I side with doing whatever makes a person happiest.  I get there are some flaws that people can't overlook and that they demand perfection.  But this feels a bit much.

I wish there was a list of sellers who think ink on a slab was ok so I could avoid them too :)

But in all seriousness, admittedly I am probably overreacting. This was my first comic purchase and I just thought it was a weird way to receive a book.

Edited by lowball

On 4/1/2023 at 9:12 AM, lowball said:

Also just want to add that this seller was very understanding, apologized, and immediately offered a return if I wanted it. 

A bit of over reaction, sure (thumbsu as your "1st experience?" it could be discouraging.

Just thought I'd post, that rest assured, this isn't a common occurrence :) 

On 4/1/2023 at 12:32 AM, Lightning55 said:

Rookie move on the seller's part, clueless. But returning it sounds like an overreaction. I would think the printer ink is water soluble, don't know of any that aren't. Spraying with window cleaner should handle it. 

On 4/1/2023 at 10:07 AM, lowball said:

Is cleaning slabs with window cleaner a normal practice? Never really thought about it

It's not normal practice, not something that usually needs to be done. But you have a unique situation. You have to use some judgment,  case by case basis.

I'm presuming It's a comic you wanted. The seller screwed up, but the easy fix is to just spray some window cleaner on a cloth and clean it up, like you might do to clean a TV screen or monitor. Or use the wipes made for that purpose. Probably take you much less time and effort than packing the return up and getting it to the post office. And waiting for your refund. 

Unless you are having buyer's remorse. Then it's a good excuse to return it.