• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dirtcheap31 said:

They felt that way but I mean the first appearance pages have a unique market I think 

I was bidding on a few but stopped at 15k.One sold last year for 84k. It's interesting because they went for 90k- 30k depending on the page.

bane.png

On 6/22/2023 at 2:39 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Compared to other first appearance prices the results are pretty silly for a B+ ish level Batman villain IMO and would not be my choice, but I kind of get the premium on Batman’s Rogues gallery as it is probably the most popular as a whole.

I love Bane so he is a A for me lol. 

On 6/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Compared to other first appearance prices the results are pretty silly for a B+ ish level Batman villain IMO and would not be my choice, but I kind of get the premium on Batman’s Rogues gallery as it is probably the most popular as a whole.

These were consigned by the artist after first attempting to field offers on CAF. He did well giving them to Heritage as I didn't think he'd reach his minimum number on the first appearance page for example. 

On 6/22/2023 at 5:30 PM, comix4fun said:

Comparing this Hush covers to other Hush covers that sold I see a gap between them. Better ones have sold for much more but it's not a straight math equation to move down to chain.

If I would have seen anything at a 35% discount today, in a platinum session, I would have been a likely bidder/buyer. 

Any particular pieces you noticed down 35%? And what comps are you using? I always struggle with this type of analysis because moving one issue or a few months for a title or artist is going to produce dramatically different results in demand and price. This platinum session had a few unicorns that defied comparison, that added to the difficulty.  

I think everyone struggles with that type of analysis - and it’s one reason that a bit of an uptick or, especially, a bit of a correction can go unnoticed.    

If things are up, people notice it’s up.   

If things are flat, people only notice the segments that are up.   

If things are down, well, people notice that the comps weren’t direct and conclude  one can’t tell. 

That may come across a bit more sarcastic than I mean it to… as I think we all do this to one degree or another, particularly in the segments we like best. 

Edited by Bronty

On 6/22/2023 at 5:00 PM, Bronty said:

I think everyone struggles with that type of analysis - and it’s one reason that a bit of an uptick or, especially, a bit of a correction can go unnoticed.    

If things are up, people notice it’s up.   

If things are flat, people only notice the segments that are up.   

If things are down, well, people notice that the comps weren’t direct and conclude  one can’t tell. 

That may come across a bit more sarcastic than I mean it to… as I think we all do this to one degree or another, particularly in the segments we like best. 

Yeah I can see that. It's easier if there's a sale that's up from previous sales to call it a surging market unless it's a dramatically better piece than anything that sold before. That's likely because a higher sale price on a similar or even lesser piece only points to one conclusion. 

It's when you get really into the weeds, like noticing how much of a particular artist has hit the market recently, to see if there's something temporarily flattening or depressing results for those artists whole others continue to rise. 

I think it was easier in the old days when (for example) a ton of Kirby would hit a couple of auctions and then look cheap as a result and people would see them as a bargain compared to, say, Ditko art....then Kirby would surge and folks would be "Ditko looks cheap". The rising tide raises all boats thing. Now everything seems priced up and the speed and frequency of auctions makes the analysis harder for some reason. So much white noise. I don't blame people for having back to back posts claiming both an up and down market in almost the same breath. 

On 6/22/2023 at 6:17 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

One less bidder = price difference.

not much difficulty in resolving the variance

That could be, but it’s only a mid level Kirby ultimately.   The ‘one less bidder’ thing explains price variance really well on unique or high priced pieces but poorly on inexpensive or run of the mill pieces.     In other words, some things like low end kirby are going to sell in the same tight range whether you add a couple bidders or take a couple bidders away because the page at auction will be indistinguishable from many others, creating substitutes, essentially.   

This particular kirby is mid range, so that might be the reason, but it also might not. 

On 6/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, Bronty said:

That could be, but it’s only a mid level Kirby ultimately.   The ‘one less bidder’ thing explains price variance really well on unique or high priced pieces but poorly on inexpensive or run of the mill pieces.     In other words, some things like low end kirby are going to sell in the same tight range whether you add a couple bidders or take a couple bidders away because the page at auction will be indistinguishable from many others, creating substitutes, essentially.   

This particular kirby is mid range, so that might be the reason, but it also might not. 

Bronty, do you get paid by the word?  🤣🤣🤣

On 6/22/2023 at 5:19 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Speaking of Kirby... Anthony tried to shop this for 18000 on CAL around a month ago. Don't know whether it is going to close that 15K gap by tomorrow...

chrome_screenshot_1687475806882.png

Personally I think it is pretty weak.  At $18k I would take a hard pass.  Probably even pass at $5k

On 6/23/2023 at 1:33 AM, Bronty said:

My prediction was that it was tough to write a 6m check right now and that there was only one party who would bid at that level, and that it would end at $6m with no further bids.    Remind me what happened?  :kidaround:

You really went out on a limb with that prediction! 

That's right up there with my prediction that Wembanyama was going to be picked #1 in the NBA draft! 

:baiting:

On 6/23/2023 at 8:10 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Im not sure if Kieth Sandman underperformed or if prices are leveling off. 

image.jpeg

It shows how hot Sandman pages have been recently that $40k for an interior page is now considered kind of disappointing.  

On 6/22/2023 at 2:57 PM, Bronty said:

How about the other first appearance page?   (Howard the duck ;) ) .

Great page.  Sets up the premise, etc.  Much more important and appealing imo than the #1 page, which I believe went for more.  As a character the duck has so much unrealized potential.  High on the list of the best as yet unexploited by the MCU.

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 6/22/2023 at 8:24 PM, Bronty said:

The only button I pushed during the Frazetta lot was "Disable Live Bidding."   :insane:

Not all platforms have this option. Was watching a Sotheby's auction the other day because there was a lot I was interested in and as they rolled through the 6.5 million Francis Bacon I felt a twinge of nerves about moving between tabs on my browser.

On 6/22/2023 at 11:39 PM, tth2 said:

You really went out on a limb with that prediction! 

That's right up there with my prediction that Wembanyama was going to be picked #1 in the NBA draft! 

:baiting:

Right, and I even said it wasn’t exactly a huge leap, and yet it was still a debate somehow 🤔