• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

June 2023 Heritage Signature Auction #7340
4 4

566 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2023 at 6:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

For anyone who may have missed it, a huge Disney animation auction is starting today on HA and some of the material is amazing... if you are a Mary Blair collector, this is your auction. 

I am watching something but I suspect it will go too high

On 6/23/2023 at 12:47 PM, Brian Peck said:

The Oversized Silver Surfer #1 color recreation hammer was $41K bloody crazy.

SS#4 was the cover John recreated the most and SS #1 was probably 2nd most recreated cover by him.

image.thumb.png.e06b7dac243c8f0728c9923a68a7af6c.png

Anyone else here old enough to have been collecting when the original pen and ink cover to SS #1 sold for $40k? 

On 6/23/2023 at 10:55 AM, comix4fun said:

Anyone else here old enough to have been collecting when the original pen and ink cover to SS #1 sold for $40k? 

I still own the DVD with the scan of the SS cover Ha sent with the printed catalogs.

On 6/22/2023 at 3:42 PM, Carlo M said:

Kamandi at 24k is "only" 1k off its 2020 price, right? That would confirm the market cooling off but certainly not crashing.  For sure I think Byrne UXM page would have gone hjgher one / two years ago. Congrats to the buyer, it is a great page.

Well, $25.2K in 2020 probably means a theoretical peak value of low-to-mid-$30Ks at least (since that sale was a bit later in 2020 with some price appreciation already behind it), and then coming back down to $24K. So, yes, down 5% from 3 years ago but probably down 20% or more from the theoretical highs of 2021/22. 

On 6/22/2023 at 5:05 PM, NinjaSealed said:

Overall market is down about 35 percent compared to the absolute peak in prices from 1st Half 2022(I know that sounds crazy but just go take a look through the HA archives). There are however still quite a few hot sectors, especially from art from the last 20 years or so.

The Hush cover would have sold for double a year ago.

The lol of today for me was the Bane pages. 

I know the Hush cover was far from the best in the run, but, I agree - $55K seems VERY light. I don't think it would have done double a year ago, but, certainly higher than $55K. It went so low that one of my deep-pocketed friends - who has no interest in Jim Lee Batman art, but, knows a good deal when he sees one - almost swooped in to bid at the end as it seemed too cheap to him. 

Regarding the best Bane page, I heard from various sources that it was offered by Nolan directly for either $100K or $200K (it sold for $90K). 

That Frank Miller DKR statue art seemed well bought to me at $15.6K, though, I was told that there are other versions of it (depicting different angles). 

The Daredevil #169 page was...unfortunate. Pretty sure that one will go down in the record books as one of the biggest hits someone has taken on a blue chip, mainstream piece of original comic art. :sorry:

I used to own the Kirby Avengers #5 page - that one went higher than I thought it would. 

I thought the McSpidey Marvel Tales cover would go for more. Same with the Byrne X-Men page yesterday. But, I guess the market is becoming more discriminating on pieces not deemed to be top-level. 

I thought the Watchmen #1 and ASM #22 pages yesterday went about as expected, maybe slightly on the lower end but really only because we've grown accustomed to being surprised to the upside.

The Bolland Superman Annual cover seemed like a bargain compared to where Dredd covers are nowadays!

I know of numerous sales both yesterday and today where the consignors are not happy. As one auction house honcho told me a couple weeks ago, he's seen clear weakness in B/C level art, to the point where consignors are grumbling about it, being stuck on 18-months ago pricing. Probably will hear more grumbling after this HA auction I suspect (I'm already hearing it talking to people who have consigned to this auction!)

Overall, I think the market is still very firm for the best stuff, but squishiness is definitely seeping in as you go down in quality. I think that is a very realistic assessment of where we are now (with the caveat that there will obviously be exceptions).

Edited by delekkerste

On 6/23/2023 at 1:05 PM, Brian Peck said:

I still own the DVD with the scan of the SS cover Ha sent with the printed catalogs.

Me too....was just thinking about that. lol 

On 6/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, comix4fun said:

Me too....was just thinking about that. lol 

I was sad when they stopped including a DVD with auction scans. I did finally contact all the auction houses and requested them to stop sending printed catalogs. I never read them, they just go into recycling. website are so easier to use for checking out what is in the auctions.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, delekkerste said:

That Frank Miller DKR statue art seemed well bought to me at $15.6K, though, I was told that there are other versions of it (depicting different angles). 

There is one other Miller DKR statue original out there. 
It was a different angle. 
I sold it last year.