• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Affect of Beginning Staple Rust and Page Discoloration?

6 posts in this topic

So I've tried looking on the forums regarding the staples but it seems a bit fuzzy. 

The book is Malibu Sun 13 and I finally got one. The cover and back of the book are in ~9.4-9.6 range.  That said when I received it I noticed some staple discoloration. After running a paper towel across it some light discoloration came off. I checked the pages and outside of tiny rub dots on the cover there's nothing inside. From everything I've seen it seems like maybe only a minor effect but wasn't sure. 

Regarding paper color is this just off-white pages or is this foxing? Also would this be something that could be cleaned? And if yes would that be too big a risk with the staples?

Sorry for the 20 questions. 

20230406_172942.jpg

20230406_172948.jpg

20230406_172914.jpg

The patches of light rust you see on the top staple and the toned halo you see on the ow-wh centerfold are both due to oxidation.  The most likely reason for the staple oxidation is atmospheric moisture, and the most likely reason for the paper oxidation is exposure to light.  In short, less than ideal storage conditions.  Neither can be reversed via a non-restorative dry cleaning.  I don't think either defect is severe enough to keep the book from receiving a 9.2 or 9.4, provided the book is otherwise pristine.  :foryou:

The top staple is showing some discoloration from rust, my old eyes cannot really see the staples as shown in the centerfold.

Keep in mind that a book is graded in it's entirety with each defect affecting the grade, to what extent?, depends on the amount and severity of the defects, as far as staple color.

NM/MT 9.8 - Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust.

NM+ 9.6 - Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration

NM 9.4 - Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration.

NM- 9.2 - Staples may show some discoloration.

VF/NM 9.0 - Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed

As far as page whiteness, there appears to be page tanning on the edges.

Dust Shadow - Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and was exposed to settling dust particles. Also see "Oxidation Shadow" and "Sun Shadow."

Foxing - Defect caused by mold growth which results in a spotting effect usually at the edges of comic books.

Sun Shadow - Darker, usually linear area at the edge of some comics stored in stacks. Some portion of the cover was not covered by the comic immediately above it and was exposed to the sun. (Also see "Dust Shadow" and "Oxidation Shadow").

I agree with the above diagnoses.

From what I can tell, this book does appear to have some light staple rust and some light "age-toning" to the pages.

It seems pretty minor at this point, but I'd definitely try to keep it from getting any worse by protecting it with archival quality materials and storing it in a cool, dark, climate-controlled environment...

Edited by The Lions Den