• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Directed by James Mangold
1 1

25 posts in this topic

They have my attention

Star Wars Announces New Films Including Dawn of the Jedi from Logan Director

Addressing Dawn of the Jedi, Mangold described the movie as a "Biblical epic" that examines the origins of the Force-using peacekeepers 25,000 years before any canon Star Wars story. In particular, the film will follow the first Jedi to truly harness the Force. "When I first started talking to [Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy] about doing one of these pictures, what occurred to me was thinking about what kind of genre of movie within Star Wars I wanted to do," the filmmaker said. "And I thought about a Biblical epic, like a Ten Commandments, about the dawning of the Force. Where did the Force come from, when did we discover it, when did we learn how to use it?"

While details are still slim, one of these is already titled Dawn of the Jedi and will be directed by James Mangold. While a specific release date has yet to be revealed, Lucasfilm confirmed it was aiming for December 2025. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Per Variety, Mangold noted of his upcoming project, Dawn of the Jedi, "It's a chance to tell the entire story of its own, the birth of the Force." Mangold explained, "When I first talked to Kathy Kennedy about it, I just said, 'I just see this opening to make kind of a Ben-Hur or The 10 Commandments about the birth of the Force.' The Force has become a kind of religious legend that spans through all these movies. But where did it come from? How is it found? Who found it? Who was the first Jedi? And that’s what I'm writing right now."

While Mangold's Dawn of the Jedi will be set in the "deep past" and explore the origins of the Force as a religion unto itself, Filoni's project will act as a "climactic" event that will effectively crossover between The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka.

Of everything announced, this is the one I am looking forward too. This is exactly where I think they have needed to go for awhile.  Far enough back to tell original stories that are not tied to the Skywalkers.  Even far enough back they do not effect the Old Republic stuff from the EU. Plus a good director.

I hope the Mandoverse picks up, so I can be invested in that movie (is that a streaming or big screen film?).  Seeing Rey again, just does very little for me. She is not a Skywalker, and the sequel trilogy was a massive letdown. 

On 4/8/2023 at 6:23 AM, bentbryan said:

Not the move. We absolutely do not need to know about the birth of the force. What happened to mystery? It’s actually a thing and it works in story telling.  One good example would be the scariest parts of Jaws are where we don’t see the shark.  After you see it, it’s not so frightening.  2c

I agree. Hannibal Lecter was ruined with the whole “let’s see how it all started!” Prequel movie.

Additionally, they crapped on LoTR with their prequel show, as it was about as exciting as being forced to listen to emo poetry for 8 hours. Not a fan of pulling back the curtain. 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:51 AM, drotto said:

I hope the Mandoverse picks up, so I can be invested in that movie (is that a streaming or big screen film?).  Seeing Rey again, just does very little for me. She is not a Skywalker, and the sequel trilogy was a massive letdown. 

Agreed.  rather watch baby yoda on big screen then Rey.  

On 4/8/2023 at 2:22 PM, WolverineX said:

Agreed.  rather watch baby yoda on big screen then Rey.  

That is the rumor that this will be Rey as the teacher with Baby Yoda as thr first student.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:23 AM, bentbryan said:

What happened to mystery? It’s actually a thing and it works in story telling.

Like the Kessel Run in Solo?

They just want to ruin any mystery with whatever half-cooked explanation they can come up with. It really blows. Takes half the fun out of discussing any media.

With Star Wars the problem are the big characters Luke, Leia, Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Han Solo and Chewbacca. Mangold should be able to make a good film without too much interference from Disney because this one don't have any of those characters. I wonder why they did not make a Old Republic film but maybe EA also owns some of those characters.

Hey there! Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a big Star Wars fan, so I'm always excited to hear about new projects. This one sounds particularly intriguing - a Biblical epic exploring the origins of the Force? Count me in! Speaking of the Force, have you ever checked out the Best Yoda Quotes? As a huge Yoda fan, I recently stumbled upon them, and they are so inspiring. ""Do or do not. There is no try"" has become my personal motto. Anyway, I'm new to this forum, but I'm excited to chat with other Star Wars enthusiasts. May the Force be with you!

Edited by JaidynWaters