• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Allegations of Plagerism Against Roy Lichtenstein
2 2

54 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, Nick Furious said:

Saying that the value of a Lichtenstein belongs to the original comic book artists is like saying that Silicon Valley, Hollywood and the much of the Aerospace Industry should be credited to Mexico because it once owned California.  

This, I’m afraid, is a false analogy.

While analogies can never be “exact”, by their very nature, this is very far from that.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:50 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Look at this album and see how many "one or two panels" add up considerably: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deconstructing-roy-lichtenstein/

But each of his paintings is considered a separate work for infringement purposes. Listen, I am not sure if the sampling defense works here either, but it is an argument. I've defended and prosecuted copyright infringement cases, but it has been a while, so I am fuzzy on some of this stuff. I had this defense in my last case (the plaintiff claimed a graph from her book was copied), but we settled on terms that were favorable enough it was not worth litigating.

Warhol loses the copyright case in Federal Supreme Court (by 7-2).

Wonder what this means, if anything, about the possibilities of DC claiming their copyrights were infringed by Lichtenstein ... ??

(Elena Kagan went so far as to create a distinction between Warhol's use of the Campbell Soup Cans vs. his use of the Prince photographs, saying that Warhol's purpose with the Campbell Soup cans was "orthogonal" to the Campbell Soup ads' purpose BUT that Warhol's use of the Prince photographs was NOT!)

https://www.reuters.com/legal/warhol-estate-loses-us-supreme-court-copyright-fight-over-prince-paintings-2023-05-18/

On 5/6/2023 at 11:19 AM, jpepx78 said:

Here is an interesting video that takes “nerding out” to an extreme level. This guy combines art and engineering to build a robot that creates paintings that look like Lichtenstein paintings.

Wow.  This guy is amazingly clever in working out all the equipment he designed and constructed, as well as compensating for each setback.  What a joy it must have been for him to finally see it at work!  Now Im curious about the dots.  Does anyone know how Lichtenstein painted them?  Spray through a screen? Or meticulously by hand?

Edited by Aman619
typos!!

On 5/18/2023 at 3:04 PM, Aman619 said:

Now Im curious about the dots.  Does anyone know how Lichtenstein painted them?  Spray through a screen? Or meticulously by hand?

He couldn't be bothered by dots, he would hire the very comic artists whose work he swiped to do them for him.

I suppose I could find out reading a book, or even searching the internet…. I’ll do that at some point I guess.  My take would be he drew a very light grid, and dabbed the dots with something like pencil eraser head at each intersection point.  He’d then Kate to erase the lines. ( or not erasing the canvas might be messy, seeing the canvasses up close today they may still be visible.).   Seeing how the source material was not his, the execution of the work was very important.