• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 4.0 - worth it?
6 6

58 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2023 at 3:04 PM, lou_fine said:
On 4/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 4/12/2023 at 2:52 PM, Badlands said:

Based on the comments and advice, I think I'll take a pass on this copy. Big thanks to all of you, I appreciate you!

A lot of this is all based on individual's preferences.  Some don't like marvel chipping, some don't mind it because they can get it for a significant discount compared a non chip copy.

Only problem here is that from the price given, it doesn't sound like much of a discount is being factored in at all for this rather large and clearly visible fugly Mavrvel chipping.  :p  :sick:

Yea that's true too. I'd offer $25k lol

On 4/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 4/12/2023 at 3:04 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm OK with C/OW pages on books from this era. 

But what about potential buyers down the road?  I think you gotta go ow/w minimum if you’re investing in the book.

My personal cut-off for PQ with silver age Marvel books is offwhite pages, DC cream-offwhite..

Golden age is cream-offwhite, but if it's truly a huge grail and/or a very tough book to find, I will go as low as slightly brittle

The book in general seems to generate a LOT of grades with CR-OW paper.  It seems to be an even more common quality in the grade you are looking to buy. 

I agree with the marvel chipping that it is a qualifier where if you can find a better presenting copy at the same price than pull the trigger there. 

However, I would not let the page quality be so much of a detractor as again, that seems to be common around that grade range. 

There is also the mindset that a straight resubmit can turn a book with CROW pages to OW-W.  I have had that personally happen to me.  The graders are not consistent when it comes to page quality. 

You can't "fix" marvel chipping. 

Like many said, it’s personal preference. For me, it’s too much chipping. I could stand going for the C/OW as well because of the overall presentation. 

That being said, I agree with @Pantodude and think this book had a great colors and presentation otherwise. Spidey looks really good, with nice background colors, which is tough to find. If you could get for 30k, I would say go for it! I understand you wanting to hold off too. It’s a lot of dough in one book. Spidey is king though. 

On 4/12/2023 at 5:38 PM, Buzzetta said:

The book in general seems to generate a LOT of grades with CR-OW paper.  It seems to be an even more common quality in the grade you are looking to buy. 

I agree with the marvel chipping that it is a qualifier where if you can find a better presenting copy at the same price than pull the trigger there. 

However, I would not let the page quality be so much of a detractor as again, that seems to be common around that grade range. 

There is also the mindset that a straight resubmit can turn a book with CROW pages to OW-W.  I have had that personally happen to me.  The graders are not consistent when it comes to page quality. 

You can't "fix" marvel chipping. 

Same experience with me too on a few books

On 4/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, piper said:

(shrug) That seems like a great price for a 4.0. In the long run, I think you would do well…

I was thinking the same.  If I had a NMC copy with the colours and presentation of this one it sure wouldn't be 33k.  I think the price suits the book, you can always upgrade find a different copy down the road and best thing is that you'll have a copy so should the book decide to take off (like it has a few times in the past) you won't have to settle for a 2.0 next time.

On 4/12/2023 at 11:05 PM, WolverineX said:
On 4/12/2023 at 10:11 PM, piper said:

(shrug) That seems like a great price for a 4.0. In the long run, I think you would do well…

+1.  Cr/ow is not as bad for silver and gold for some buyers.  You won't be getting a White pages for 33k.  There will be a significant premium.

What kind of premium do you figure?   I’d take a 3.5 W over this 4.0 C/OW for even money

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 4/12/2023 at 11:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

What kind of premium do you figure?   I’d take a 3.5 W over this 4.0 C/OW for even money

I don't think there are many W AF15s...I know someone paid about a 50% premium for a W copy (especially in lower grade) they just don't happen.