• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours: I tripple dog dare you to show just one of your treasures that is not posted anywhere else
4 4

95 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2023 at 7:07 AM, vodou said:

Ian Gibson, early Dredd.

image.thumb.jpg.58451ce3bdcf3bcbaddbb8ab280fdafc.jpg

Covers are wonderful, but sequential art really means panel pages.

It's probably too late for me to get an OA page. But if anyone wants to send me a copy of Judge Dredd: The Ian Gibson Collection for Christmas, I'll leave my address!! That's an outstanding piece Voudo. Exceptional.

Edited by grapeape

On 4/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, davidtere said:

I'll take the tripple dog dare. I've had this for several years now. The previous owner who sold it to me had it posted on his CAF page, but I haven't done that (so still within the Grape-ish ones rules).

This is one of the original designs by Steranko for Harvey Comics in 1966. Later on he did other more detailed variations. 

IMG_2976.jpeg

Absolutely within the rules. Really stellar example, love that futuristic vibe that's also a blast from the mid sixties past.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:37 PM, Bill C said:

Guardians of the Galaxy (1990 series) #43 cover commission for my fan fiction run of #28-54. Pencils/inks by Mitch Ballard (my layout, that Mitch tweaked a bit). Yes, the robots are (ahem) heavily influenced by Fugitoid (I tweaked the head design):

GOTG 43 cover (inks).jpg

This is a special piece with a personal touch from our esteemed boardie. It's an honor to have it hang on the walls of our thread.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:47 PM, GreatEscape said:

Folks know I'm a fan of 1970s Treasury comics.   Here's a cool half-splash from the 1978 DC Treasury “Superman vs. Shazam”, the epic battle between DC's most powerful superheroes! Superman and Shazam (Captain Marvel) appear together in four panels along with Lois Lane.  Beautifully drawn by Rich Buckler and D. Giordano.

DCTreasuryC-58SupermanvsShazamp66(1978)BucklerGiordano.thumb.jpg.1a3179cdf5d5128a9866e79b81cec0b2.jpg

Weren't we just talking about the greatness of Treasuries today my friend? As they encounter each other here, bottom page, I can only think of how much collateral destruction would take place. Historic and worthy of praise. :manhero:thanx for sharing it here.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, thethedew said:

Oh, all right.  For YOUR sake, Grape, I'll do one.

Probably not much of a surprise that I have this page, but hasn't been publicly confirmed before now.

m7.jpg

Worthy. This is. I'm not. But thank you thank you thank you.

U N F R E A K I N G  

B E L I E V A B L E

:golfclap:

On 4/17/2023 at 5:00 PM, Will_K said:

I KNEW it !!! ! ! !  Actually, I didn't.

OK, here's a big "get" in my collecting niche.  Alex Ross' character design for Black Canary III from Kingdom Come, The figure really is that close to the bottom of the paper.  I was an underbidder for a great page featuring the character, maybe I'll get another shot some day.

bcross.jpg

The Underbidder. That's a great name for a WWE wrestler. Always a bridesmaid never a bride. Until one day, in Madison Square Garden of course, record pay per view, THE UNDERBIDDER SHOCKS THE WORLD AND PULLS THE UPSET.

I'll tell you what, THE UNDERBIDDER would be a fan favorite for most of us art collectors rooting for the underdog.lol

Alex Ross has a bit of talent yes?

Lovely Black Canary so congrats to you for acquiring and caging this bird in a nice frame I'm sure.

I hope you get a page someday to complement this.

On 4/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, Fischb1 said:

I haven't had this for too long, but I haven't posted it anywhere either (though it was seen briefly in a flip I did for Bill). Keith Pollard drawing a great Mephisto vs Thor scene. 

THOR #310 p23 (1981) Thor vs. Mephisto by Keith Pollard and Gene Day.jpeg

I love Pollard's art on Thor. With your help we are defeating the Gollum that hides its Precious away from the world. Looks like Thor is doing great job on his own kicking Mephisto sideways silly with his mighty hammer.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:47 AM, fsumavila said:

you guys are posting some great pages! I've shown most of my art but don't think I've posted this Aquaman/Mera splash from Action Comics #518 ... so hard to find a nice Bronze Age Aqua splash. and while it doesn't have him swimming with dolphins, I love that it's from a story titled after one of my favorite disaster movies.

Aquaman_Splash.jpg

We don't get enough DC love so this is great to see coming into the light, Probably a pretty good story too based on the fact J.M. DE MATTEIS is credited.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:03 AM, Hekla said:

THUNDER Agents, Dan Adkins pencils Wally Wood inks. 

Thunder Agents 13.jpg

I have so much respect for both of these artists. This is a tremendous page. I mean, it's a clinic on how to use panels. Great use of shadowing. Excellent simulation of movement from the team running right off the page. I truly thank you for this pleasure.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, Rick2you2 said:

For those of you who aren't aware of it, one of the artists on the 4th series of Phantom Stranger runs was none other than Brent Anderson. Well, at one of those early conventions, I asked him to do a sketch for me. I still remember him saying this was the first time anyone had ever commissioned the Phantom Stranger from him. Who knew what fate had in store? If you compare it to his modern work, it is amazingly different (and the paper is a little worse for wear).  By the way, the woman is Cassandra Craft, the character's sometime love interest.

17BAnderson-sketch.thumb.jpg.ea65b1be908ff99ef2607860aab0604c.jpg

I'm a Brent Anderson nut so seeing him work on your favorite character brings joy to my heart. I  think its really well done. The shadowing under foot. PS pointing straight at ya Rick. + Cassandra too!!! Thanx you my friend. I love it.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:35 PM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I can play this show something not posted anywhere else game. 

John Bolton Books of Magic 1 page 1.  I used to own it in the early 2000s but sold it for whatever reason, and then got it back a couple of years ago with a free frame!  ^^

IMG-2767.thumb.jpg.eb4a44aa391e4d00d8b8449c7449f083.jpg

I'm so glad you joined in. NO better story than losing the one you love and than getting them back :-) John Bolton is absolute solid gold. Everybody knows that. Or at least they should.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Only because it's you, Mike.

This is a page I picked up in 1980-1981 at a Comicon in New York (before they were called Comicons). It's from Swamp Thing Annual No. 2, and for those who don't recognize the artwork, it is from the special run by Tottleben and Bissette. As I recall, it was $40. Some of it may look familiar to you because the giant image of the Spectre sometimes shows up on the internet. Now you know where the original has been hiding.

25Bissette-Tottleben.thumb.jpg.ca9f55370dee4d4ff1fef6d7dfe463e9.jpg

I understand how hard it is to share something so personal. I am beyond appreciative that you would show this to all your friends here. I mean, wow! the art style definitely recognizable. The days of buying art like this for two Andrew Jacksons is sadly behind us. Let's just enjoy the art, for art sake.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:51 AM, ThothAmon said:

Was told Bill Finger signed this Batman daily proof sheets.   Signature looks good!?! Third photo is pulled from the web for comparison  

DF141222-6D21-4A9F-87B4-4E568DDEF254.jpeg

6F559A31-9884-4E51-A4D6-B3FB9C5B7BDE.jpeg

9687F5DF-67E9-488E-A030-45DB69514D24.jpeg

Bill Finger. Legend. Credit so long overdue. Its coming now but he deserved to hear the praise during his living years. The signatures look good though I'm far from an expert. Those daily proof sheets are a part of our collecting history. They belong here, out of the shadows. What magic to behold. I'm so grateful to you and to everyone for sharing.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:35 PM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I can play this show something not posted anywhere else game. 

John Bolton Books of Magic 1 page 1.  I used to own it in the early 2000s but sold it for whatever reason, and then got it back a couple of years ago with a free frame!  ^^

IMG-2767.thumb.jpg.eb4a44aa391e4d00d8b8449c7449f083.jpg

I’m curious about this, particularly since I was one of the early bidders who dropped out. But it looks like the center strip of page 1 without other scenery on top and bottom with Tim Hunter. Did Bolton do overlays of 3 pieces which were combined in print? Any idea where the other parts went?