• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours: I tripple dog dare you to show just one of your treasures that is not posted anywhere else
4 4

95 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 6:50 PM, drdroom said:

I post almost everything on CAF, but I do have a piece acquired in my first year of serious OA collecting (2009-2010) that I've always kept for myself. It's an unused pencil cover for a book that made an early impact on me, and when I saw it it provoked an ineffable sense of possibility, the forking paths of comics history--the dream books that might have been. The published cover was by Romita, & it's pretty solid, but I give the edge to Big John.

SilverSurfer5coverweb.jpg

Dr Doom, of course it’d take an evil genius to land this stellar piece such as this! Pure Big John pencils WOW!

On 5/7/2023 at 7:05 AM, Axelrod said:

Technically, this drawing is visible in another post I made in the "Show us your comic book room" thread, but it's kind of in the background and you can't see it close up.  So, here it is, my one and only piece of "original" art. 

Simonson convention sketch from 1985.

IMG_0922.jpg

"Nobody does it better, makes me feel sad, for the rest."

"Nobody does it, half as good as you. Baby your the best."

---Carly Simon, obviously singing about Walt Simonson.:bigsmile:

On 5/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, drdroom said:

I post almost everything on CAF, but I do have a piece acquired in my first year of serious OA collecting (2009-2010) that I've always kept for myself. It's an unused pencil cover for a book that made an early impact on me, and when I saw it it provoked an ineffable sense of possibility, the forking paths of comics history--the dream books that might have been. The published cover was by Romita, & it's pretty solid, but I give the edge to Big John.

Very tight pencils by Big John. Of course John's brother Sal inked Romita's published cover. This one is perfect just the way it is. and it better conveys the serious hurt being put upon our cosmic hero.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:05 PM, rlextherobot said:

Years ago I got Steve Rolston to do this sketch in my volume 1 Queen and Country hardcover. Never posted anywhere for pretty obvious reasons.

PXL_20230503_230255055~2.jpg

I tried to find a better Steve Rolston drawing than yours after you posted this here. Couldn't find one I liked better. Sometimes, you find yourself in the right place, at the right time. The man really came through for you. Cheers!(thumbsu

On 5/5/2023 at 4:50 PM, drdroom said:

You outbid me for that one.  I thought it should be worth more than it went for, but was overly influenced by people who say that unused or prelims are not "investment" pieces, which I have to remind myself is code for "I don't have any, and only what I have is valuable"

On 5/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

You outbid me for that one.  I thought it should be worth more than it went for, but was overly influenced by people who say that unused or prelims are not "investment" pieces, which I have to remind myself is code for "I don't have any, and only what I have is valuable"

You’ve cracked the code. 😂 

Sometimes you have to trust your gut. I’ve found the hobby can at times be somewhat of an echo chamber. You may need to forge your own way forward and the masses will catch up. If you like something, there is a reason you do. It’s likely there are others who will feel the same way but may not yet realize it. 

On 5/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

Salute! The good old days, eh. I was prepared to go higher, was quite pleased with the price. Lucky I didn't consult anyone about it!! I've since shown it to a few people who seemed less impressed with it than I am, so I guess it's in the right collection. To me it's a treasure, but I have to admit, the market value is slight compared to a published cover from the run, even one of the less interesting later ones. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:10 AM, art4comics.com said:

This is the splash of an 8 page story I have.  Weird Science #9 by Wally Wood.  I have not posted it on line anywhere.  The last time this was seen was when it sold at Russ Cochran in the 70's and then it disappeared for almost a half century.  I recently got this as part of a large deal which included a lot of art that had not been seen in many decades.  I have shown it to a few friends in person but never posted before.   It will eventually get posted with the rest of the story on CAF but it is not there yet.  

ws09_01photolarge.jpg

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

On 5/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, drdroom said:

Salute! The good old days, eh. I was prepared to go higher, was quite pleased with the price. Lucky I didn't consult anyone about it!! I've since shown it to a few people who seemed less impressed with it than I am, so I guess it's in the right collection. To me it's a treasure, but I have to admit, the market value is slight compared to a published cover from the run, even one of the less interesting later ones. 

I'm glad it ended up in a home where it's appreciated.  I bought that issue off the stands as a kid with a hard earned quarter and the story was so compelling that I remember much of the dialogue to this day.  It was one of several that Marvel did which made me feel that good stories can flourish in any format and maybe just maybe someone is affected by them to be a better person than they might have been without it.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:53 AM, vodou said:

image.jpeg.905d621c0ba8602eff62fa01d57d6a51.jpeg

Mixed signals lol Sigma reminds me of a guy who was in the banking business with me. If he showed up at a meeting, or at a branch wearing a green tie, it meant someone was getting fired that day. Young guy with the power of the Grim Reaper concerning employment. I digress, but these are crazy times. Glad we can have a little fun here. 

On 5/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, grapeape said:

Sigma reminds me of a guy who was in the banking business with me. If he showed up at a meeting, …

All due respect, a real Sigma would never work in reg-heavy banking to begin with… 😘

On 5/11/2023 at 10:44 AM, vodou said:

All due respect, a real Sigma would never work in reg-heavy banking to begin with… 😘

😆 That's sounds like, "Grapey,  I think you're a really good guy, but.........."lol