• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 3
14 14

188 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2023 at 7:52 AM, AJD said:

It is a very bright and glossy GA book with good structure. The missing pieces for me suggested 6.5 (I have a WDC&S about the same age with similar issues that is a 6.0 and this one looked a touch brighter). I was still a bit surprised at 7.0, but it's not outrageous.

The one corner that is still on looks like it's ready to fall off, and there is all kinds of funky things going on at the top staple.

Boo, CGC grader, Boo!!!

:fear:

Edited by sledgehammer

On 5/3/2023 at 1:56 PM, sledgehammer said:

Boo, CGC grader, Boo!!!

I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at that comment. Boo! The height of dissatisfaction lol

• Administrator
On 5/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, sledgehammer said:
On 5/3/2023 at 8:41 AM, namisgr said:

The grade that shocks me in this group is the Looney Tunes and its 3 significant missing corner chunks.

Agree completely. So many 7.5s with 1 tiny minor piece missing.

7.0 on that is just completely bewildering to me.

Looking at the grades that everyone submitted for that book, I am guessing the average is around 7.0  When I post the results thread for this round, and if we are blessed with @zzutak's great commentary, we will find out the average grade submitted.  Plus, it will show the grades given for that book in the spread.  Time will tell...

Well, sure.

There are people saying that it's an 8.0.

:baiting:

On 5/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing at that comment. Boo! The height of dissatisfaction lol

Bad CGC grader! BAD! NO DINNER!  (tsk)

On 5/3/2023 at 7:41 AM, namisgr said:

To my eye, the DD168 looked lower grade than the ASM78.  The crunched lower right corner on the DD was, for me, a more substantial defect than any on the ASM.

The grade that shocks me in this group is the Looney Tunes and its 3 significant missing corner chunks.

I thought we learned from the Promise books the ones on the spine side would be ruled to be bindery tears/chips and not counted off

On 5/3/2023 at 9:01 AM, CGC Mike said:

Looking at the grades that everyone submitted for that book, I am guessing the average is around 7.0  When I post the results thread for this round, and if we are blessed with @zzutak's great commentary, we will find out the average grade submitted.  Plus, it will show the grades given for that book in the spread.  Time will tell...

Because the name of the game is not, put down the grade that YOU think it is, it's guess what a CGC grader would grade it. I had it as a 7.0 originally because I guessed that was what they would say...but I hated the corners,  personally 6.0 would have been high for me, so I lowered my guess to 6.5. 

Same with the DD, I had 8.5, because that's a double crease, not just one, but I bumped it because I'm usually too low on my guesses at least with this current cycle of grading.

Edited by skypinkblu

On 5/3/2023 at 8:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

Because the name of the game is not, put down the grad that YOU think it is, it's guess what a CGC grader would grade it.

Well, ok, but the guy that was leading the contest after 2 rounds, called it a 6.0.

:devil:

On 5/3/2023 at 9:13 AM, skypinkblu said:

Because the name of the game is not, put down the grad that YOU think it is, it's guess what a CGC grader would grade it.

I'm not in the contest, but have been coming up with grades I'd assign the entrants and comparing them with CGC's for fun.  Personally, I'd never consider a book with significant cover pieces missing from 3 corners of that size to be anything over a Fine.

I admit to being terrible at trying to anticipate how CGC will grade from looking at two dimensional scans.

Edited by namisgr

On 5/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, sledgehammer said:

Well, ok, but the guy that was leading the contest after 2 rounds, called it a 6.0.

:devil:

Good grading, lol...maybe next time we should have a contest...have the boarders grade the books and have the graders guess;)

On 5/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, skypinkblu said:

Good grading, lol...maybe next time we should have a contest...have the boarders grade the books and have the graders guess;)

Happens with every submission.  :devil:

On 5/2/2023 at 5:17 PM, fastballspecial said:

Funny say that when I looked I couldnt find a copy with it. Now I see a couple on ebay today.

Best place to look for example graded copies are the Heritage Archives...lots of any book in all grades...

On 5/2/2023 at 8:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Looney Tunes #5

[...]

Staple tear bottom staple

Staple detached front cover

I'm most curious about these ^ graders' notes on the Looney Tunes. These don't sound like flaws you'd find on a 7.0 book, unless (I'd think) it was virtually perfect otherwise.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:41 AM, namisgr said:

I'm totally with you on this.  I had the LT MUCH lower than what it got.  The comment said corner damage - there are NO corners!  I don't get that....

On 5/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, universal soldier said:

I wasn't sure what the white spots on the ASM were about but only dropped it down to a 9.0. Wasn't harsh enough on the DD with a 9.2 :pullhair:

14-spidey78front.jpg.9eecedb534a5c4903a0a8f78fb42a660.jpg.3aa16eabbd6df30a94772f48e8e2b4be.jpg

I saw from other posts that there are a bunch of books with these spots, but the one I located on-line was a 7.0 and didn't have these and looked very similar.  Maybe I should have looked harder, but how can they not be some kind of defect?  And I know the way it's cut isn't a huge defect, but the top of the logo was snipped too.  I certainly had this lower than the DD and it killed me!  :( 

Thanks for this cropped pic, BTW!  

On the + side, maybe a bunch of my copies would grade a LOT higher than what I'd have them at!  hm