• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Am I Missing with Mile High Comics...
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2023 at 12:51 AM, valiantman said:
  • All comics guaranteed to be in very good condition
  • Please list alternate choices
  • All prices subject to change without notice

Even with a time machine, I'm not sure it would be worth playing this particular mail order game.

Possibly still better than the Ross / Crestohl ads from around the same time in terms of delivery on promise.

On 4/21/2023 at 10:01 AM, comicginger1789 said:

It would be kinda funny for someone with a VG copy of Brave and Bold #28 to go in and try to sell to them, quoting the store's own insane ask as their own (or even at a 40% discount). I am curious what the conversation would be like.

"When that one we have sells, we'll be looking for a replacement. Come back and see us then."

Edited by valiantman

Up until about 2017 or 2018 I ordered from MHC fairly often.  Filling runs of Byrne's FF, Alpha Flight, and other random titles was ok with his codeword sales but I probably won't order again.  They've been running a New Years 60% since January but anything I looked at was way too much with 60% off.  I have good memories of doing mail order from them in the 90s and early 00s.  It's not a good business model but his inventory is impressive for what it is.

Lots can be said about MHC. However to be fair - they disclose all info on their web-site - you just need to be familiar with website layouts from the 1990s to find the info.

As an example, lots of comment about grading - I bet few ppl knows that Chuck gives a grading guarantee for VF and NM books (from the website under NM graded books):
"Please note: for those of you who send older books in to CGC for professional grading, we only guarantee that our NM graded books will come back with CGC grades ranging anywhere from 8.5 (VF+) to 10.0 (Gem Mint). We actually believe that all our books in our NM category are at least 9.0 (Very Fine/Near Mint) by anyone's standards, but our experience has been that CGC grading can vary dramatically from day to day. If you were to receive a grade on a book you purchased from us, after January 1, 2003, that was graded as NM that came in below 8.5, return the book to us and we will refund you your cost, plus your cost of CGC grading."

For VF it is 6.5 to 9.4

His grading goes both ways - I have bought many books from MHC at VF which came back as 9.8 (in particular a lot of BP2 - shuri)

He has an X-Men #1 at $200k. If that came back as 9.0 or higher it would be a score at the usual discount he gives. If I lived in the US i would probably go there in person and check out that book (and if someone here on this site decides to go for it - happy to take a finder's fee :) )

Edited by Poka

On 4/24/2023 at 8:21 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

Was Chuck cool with you guys taking photos? For as outrageous as his sales are, I've gotten the impression he's very easygoing with people enjoying the store.

I never saw him, so I guess he was fine with us taking photos. Actually, the whole store was pretty laid back, can’t even remember seeing an employee.

On 4/25/2023 at 8:18 AM, Mucheee1 said:

I never saw him, so I guess he was fine with us taking photos. Actually, the whole store was pretty laid back, can’t even remember seeing an employee.

Chuck was with his pot. Err, excuse me, pots.:)