• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink lifting to cover?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,   i received a disappointing grade for my Amazing spider-man 298.  I didn't expect a 9.8 but it came back a 9.0 with a grader note of "ink lift to cover".  Firstly, what does this mean, and should i query as i didn't see any ink problems.  Just some stress at spine and cover was a bit yellow.  I put it in for a clean and press so could the CCS process have caused this issue?

Many thanks,

Duncan

Do you have any before pictures?  

I'll be curious to hear from others. When I hear ink lift, my mind goes to ink being removed from the cover due to moisture. 

For example, a stack of comics sit in a damp basement. You pick up one and the ink transfers from the front cover of the one on the bottom, to the back cover of the one sitting on top of it. You actually lift the ink off the cover. 

Screenshot_20230421-065349.png

On 4/21/2023 at 9:37 AM, Duncerman said:

Hi all,   i received a disappointing grade for my Amazing spider-man 298.  I didn't expect a 9.8 but it came back a 9.0 with a grader note of "ink lift to cover".  Firstly, what does this mean, and should i query as i didn't see any ink problems.  Just some stress at spine and cover was a bit yellow.  I put it in for a clean and press so could the CCS process have caused this issue?

Many thanks,

Duncan

Hi,  thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately i did not take a picture before submitting.  The only thing i can think of is that the cover is generally white and the ad on the inside of the front is/was slightly visible through the cover.  This is something I've seen before on other light covers and i didnt think it would be marked down as its down to printing/manufacture and the artists colour selection.  Does anyone know how to query with CGC?

Not altogether sure it's something to query with CGC, just post a decent scan on here and the grading experts will take a look and offer their thoughts. (I do not count myself among them!) Should be fairly easy for someone to see where and how extensive the lift is. Not sure it will have anything to do with being able to see the ghost of the ad printed on the inside cover.