• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

On 5/1/2023 at 8:34 AM, Dr. Balls said:

There's been 1 million people shot (wounded or killed) by guns since 2013, averaged down - that's 100,000 victims per year. It's hard to say how many gun "owners" there are, but there are over 400 million guns in circulation in the United States - so it's quite a few. Your chances are around .025% of being wounded or killed by gun violence in any given year based on that 400 M number.

Yeah, Captain Math would like to point out that you are not quite correct with that. I'm assuming you divided the 100,000 victims by the 400 million guns to get that figure (since that's what comes from such a calculation), which only gives you the chances of being wounded or killed by a particular gun in a given year. Which I am sure you will agree is pretty meaningless, as far as statistics go.

I remember Ted White used to do Market Reports in the now defuncted.Comic. Book Marketplace. He seemed okay, but every report essentially said the same thing. He seemed obsessed with the OSPG.prices. for.Marvet back issues. I didn't know how bad he was until boardie NearMint.purchased.a.book from him with non disclosed resto.  That seems to be a regular practice for him.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:19 PM, ttfitz said:

Yeah, Captain Math would like to point out that you are not quite correct with that. I'm assuming you divided the 100,000 victims by the 400 million guns to get that figure (since that's what comes from such a calculation), which only gives you the chances of being wounded or killed by a particular gun in a given year. Which I am sure you will agree is pretty meaningless, as far as statistics go.

All of it is pretty meaningless unless a LOT more data is provided. For example, are these shootings evenly distributed throughout the population? Are the shootings the result of participating in crime ? Are they the result of a citizen protecting their own life ? A raw total figure with no clarifying detail can be twisted and manipulated to suggest a myriad of causes and effects with nearly all of them hypothetical, even though they are often presented as "fact".The inference that so very very many firearms will never be used in a shooting is certainly not meaningless, unless of course that point doesn't flesh out someone's narrative.  If someone kicks in my door and tells me that I WILL submit to the Communist Party I would like to be able to perforate as many of them as I can before succumbing. Sorry, but that's where I stand on that. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/2/2023 at 6:03 AM, jimjum12 said:

The inference that so very very many firearms will never be used in a shooting is certainly not meaningless, unless of course that point doesn't flesh out someone's narrative.

Captain Math doesn't care about narratives, he only cares about math. And the point was not about how few firearms were involved in a shooting, but how likely one was to be a victim of one, so the statistic was meaningless.

As an example, in Canada from 2016-2020, 10,021 deaths and injuries due to firearms occurred, so 2004 per year. With 7.1 million privately owned firearms in Canada, a similar "statistic" as the one presented for the US would be 0.028%, vs the stated 0.025%. Does anyone truly think that this means your "chances of being wounded or killed by gun violence" are higher in Canada than the US?

On 5/2/2023 at 3:42 PM, ttfitz said:

Captain Math doesn't care about narratives, he only cares about math. And the point was not about how few firearms were involved in a shooting, but how likely one was to be a victim of one, so the statistic was meaningless.

As an example, in Canada from 2016-2020, 10,021 deaths and injuries due to firearms occurred, so 2004 per year. With 7.1 million privately owned firearms in Canada, a similar "statistic" as the one presented for the US would be 0.028%, vs the stated 0.025%. Does anyone truly think that this means your "chances of being wounded or killed by gun violence" are higher in Canada than the US?

I we're just talking math, then approximately 1 out of every 3400 people( in America) has the potential of being one who is shot by a firearm, at least according to incidents that are reported ... and naturally, we're not including the people who can't shoot and missed :bigsmile: GOD BLESS .... 

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/22/2023 at 5:04 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

So I learned here that the seller in question sells undisclosed restored raw books.

And that hot dogs are expensive at conventions …..

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 4/30/2023 at 1:29 AM, Robot Man said:

When it comes down to money, most people’s principles can go out the door quickly.

Case in point…

There is an older guy around here who has been caught stealing many times. From cheap books to some serious GA. He is a kleptomaniac. Everyone knows it. But he is real out of touch on pricing. He prices everything at Overstreet. He doesn’t use the internet nor does he travel out of the area just hitting shows and flea markets locally. I have known him for years and have bought a lot of “undervalued” books from him until he got caught twice. I cut my ties from him and quit buying from him. I also made it clear my disgust to his customers and that I would no longer deal with them if they continued to deal with this guy. A couple people agreed and cut him off as well.

But there are still people buying from him anyway knowing full well they are buying stolen books. This even includes a couple larger well known dealers.

There are apparently people who would buy from Satan if the price is right…

A butt-ton of Silver and Bronze books were affidavit "returns" that were purchased for pennies from the back of distributors' trucks. There would still be tens of thousands of these in circulation today. Stolen goods. Chuck R bought a warehouse full of such books at some point, the Mile High II collection. And a heap of the original Kirby art pages out there were stolen by Marvel employees in the '70s.

On 5/2/2023 at 1:19 PM, ttfitz said:

More Americans died of gun-related injuries in 2021 than in any other year on record, according to the latest available statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

On 5/8/2023 at 5:31 AM, Steven Valdez said:

More Americans died of gun-related injuries in 2021 than in any other year on record, according to the latest available statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

.WebApr 26, 2023 · On a per capita basis, there were 14.6 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2021 – the highest rate since the early 1990s, but still well below the peak of 16.3 gun deaths 

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/8/2023 at 8:34 PM, jimjum12 said:

.WebApr 26, 2023 · On a per capita basis, there were 14.6 gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2021 – the highest rate since the early 1990s, but still well below the peak of 16.3 gun deaths 

Guns are the leading cause of death for US children and teens, since surpassing car accidents in 2020.

Firearms accounted for nearly 19% of childhood deaths (ages 1-18) in 2021, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Wonder database. Nearly 3,600 children died in gun-related incidents that year. That’s about five children lost for every 100,000 children in the United States. In no other comparable country are firearms within the top four causes of mortality among children, according to a KFF analysis.

Edited by Steven Valdez

On 5/8/2023 at 6:40 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Guns are the leading cause of death for US children and teens, since surpassing car accidents in 2020.

Firearms accounted for nearly 19% of childhood deaths (ages 1-18) in 2021, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Wonder database. Nearly 3,600 children died in gun-related incidents that year. That’s about five children lost for every 100,000 children in the United States. In no other comparable country are firearms within the top four causes of mortality among children, according to a KFF analysis.

That's because of video games that teach our youngsters that guns are toys and death is a game. GOD BLESS ...

On 5/8/2023 at 8:08 AM, jimjum12 said:

That's because of video games that teach our youngsters that guns are toys and death is a game. GOD BLESS ...

Nah, we're in a mental health crisis. Too many people focused on others and inanimate objects rather than themselves.

On 5/8/2023 at 6:40 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Now where is that gun thread …

On 5/8/2023 at 8:08 AM, jimjum12 said:

Is that you Dr. Wertham?

On 5/8/2023 at 10:08 PM, jimjum12 said:

No-questions-asked access to military-grade battlefield assault weaponry for all citizens has a little to do with it.

On 5/8/2023 at 8:24 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nah, we're in a mental health crisis. Too many people focused on others and inanimate objects rather than themselves.

You can say that again. Mental Health has become the "hot potato" that no one on either side of the street wants to accept responsibility for, ... no profit in it. Also, rage has somehow been elevated to a pedestal ... people become almost intoxicated by it. GOD BLESS...