• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$20,000 AF15 Comic Book STOLEN at MegaCon 2023!
7 7

184 posts in this topic

In the vid, Greg admits he was not vigilant enough and repeatedly blames himself for allowing the theft. He is around 70 years old, and treats the comics in a certain casual way I have noticed with some older comic guys that have seen and sold everything, under the sun.  Maybe not fair to call it a fogginess, but Greg has the relaxed demeanor of someone who is older and has done things in same

This show, a record attendance Megacon, where Saturday was so crowded you could not see past 1 booth to your left or right.  It is crazy pants for him not to have a more secure set up and hire another pair of eyes to help him. But I get how it happened, it always worked for him before, without incident.

The ugly characterizations of people who insist on piling on to a 70 year old who soloed megacon as a dealer, and suffered a loss, displays the worst of people, and of a mindset. Where are you in your path to think it is wise to kick a hard working old man who is down. As seen on vid greg has mature attitude of, I woke up today, and the sun was shining, so l am a little down but not out. I am not in a place in my head where i could take a hit like that so graciously.

On 4/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, gcstomp said:

The ugly characterizations of people who insist on piling on to a 70 year old who soloed megacon as a dealer, and suffered a loss, displays the worst of people, and of a mindset. Where are you in your path to think it is wise to kick a hard working old man who is down. As seen on vid greg has mature attitude of, I woke up today, and the sun was shining, so l am a little down but not out. I am not in a place in my head where i could take a hit like that so graciously.

Some might say it’s equally ugly to refer to him as an “old man”.  Just proves it’s very hard to judge others. 

Thoth, that is your take? Calling someone 70 something a hard working old man is "equally ugly" as the disparaging comments that have been lobbed at Greg? No chance Greg would feel that way, and yes, I have known him for decades as has most anyone else who has set up in southern state shows.This is not a serious take, this is a grasping lemme get a shot in, a whatabout ism. 

On 4/23/2023 at 10:32 AM, gcstomp said:

Thoth, that is your take?

When respected members of a public forum share their opinions, whether agreed with or not, their words shouldn’t be met with pejoratives. Obviously some boardies have issues with Mr. White unrelated to the theft. At least one of whom I have tons of respect for.  

I brought up the ageism only hoping you’d see the point of how hard it is to try and judge others words as it opens you up to the same. In this case how is Mr. White’s age related to his comic being stolen?  Obviously I’m defensive. 😊 

On 4/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, apollobuzz said:

Asking because I honestly don't know, but is there any such thing as dealers getting insurance for something like this? 

Of course there is.  

We often hear about these incidents - but never hear about their resolution as regards insurance.  There is much useful important information regarding that critical aspect of the hobby/business that could be passed on - if one was interested in being helpful, as well as being helped.

On 4/23/2023 at 8:32 AM, Dr. Love said:

Of course there is.  

We often hear about these incidents - but never hear about their resolution as regards insurance.  There is much useful important information regarding that critical aspect of the hobby/business that could be passed on - if one was interested in being helpful, as well as being helped.

I remember Redbeard got a GA Green Lantern #1 stolen at SDCC years ago. I expressed my sadness and sorrow. He just calmly looked at me and said. “Not a problem, it was insured”.

Now, Ron is in the position to have full insurance. Most dealers and even comic shop owners are not.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:56 AM, gcstomp said:

In the vid, Greg admits he was not vigilant enough and repeatedly blames himself for allowing the theft. He is around 70 years old, and treats the comics in a certain casual way I have noticed with some older comic guys that have seen and sold everything, under the sun.  Maybe not fair to call it a fogginess, but Greg has the relaxed demeanor of someone who is older and has done things in same

He's probably of a generation that makes it hard to perceive human beings crawling around underneath his tables like mongrel dogs looking for something to steal. Give it few more years and you'll just be able to rob someone at gunpoint at a convention with zero repercussions.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 4/23/2023 at 12:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

He's probably of a generation that makes it hard to perceive human beings crawling around underneath his tables like mongrel dogs looking for something to steal. Give it few more years and you'll just be able to rob someone at gunpoint at a convention with zero repercussions.

Oh... I've been a comic book fan since the mid-70's and have been going to shows since the mid-90's, and believe me, this stuff has been going on for as long as there have been shows. First time I remember hearing about someone getting a high dollar book stolen at a show was Dragon Con 1995.

There was no internet or social media to put the word out then either...

On 4/23/2023 at 12:18 PM, thehumantorch said:

For all his possible faults he didn't deserve to get ripped off.  Theft is theft and it's never okay.  And that thief got away with it and will likely target another dealer next time.

100% agree.  I don't know his history, i just know no one deserves to have a 5 figure book stolen from them. 

It's a shame and every one of these comic book theft stories we've been hearing lately makes me sick.  

On 4/25/2023 at 2:10 PM, MrBedrock said:

A few years ago Greg was set up in Houston at a Comicpalooza show. We were also set up there. One of my long-time customers asked me to come verify a book that Greg had offered. It was raw a supposedly unrestored. It was also priced very strongly. My customer was willing to pay the price if the book was as advertised. I walked up to Greg's booth and asked to see the book. He was very reluctant, and absolutely wouldn't let me take it out of the bag. But sure enough there was some fairly obvious spots of color touch. When I pointed them out to this kind old comic dealer he graciously threatened to jump his barefooted butt over the table and throw a punch at me. It was all I could do not to beat that kind old man's .

But I should feel bad he was robbed....right?