• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you guys like this board software?

76 posts in this topic

As of now when I log on I am sent home. From "My Home" I would like to be able to jump right away to the main list of the cgc boards. Right know you have to select which board you want to go to first. I never visit the other boards so I find this selection annoying.
From your display preference area, you can choose to go to the main index instead of your home section.

As of now when I log on I am sent home. From "My Home" I would like to be able to jump right away to the main list of the cgc boards. Right know you have to select which board you want to go to first. I never visit the other boards so I find this selection annoying.
From your display preference area, you can choose to go to the main index instead of your home section.

Thanks Greggy. That will speed things up.

i'd like to make a few requests.

firstly, i LOVE the HTML/UBB/both dropdown feature, and would like to see it incorporated into the Quick Reply section if possible, because i use the heII out of this thing...

I'd also like to have the ability to resize images, if UBB code will let you do that on the fly. i seem to recall seeing that feature somewhere else.

this isn't a quibble, but rather an observation; when you use HTML in a post, and that post is quoted by someone who doesn't specify HTML, the code, not the output, is what displays. is that something that can be changed without being too much of a pain?

and is there a way for me to globally save outgoing PMs rather than having to select that i want to keep them? i'm feeling rather lazy atm...

As for the search function, just keep in mind that if it doesn't work like google then people think it sucks. If you actually know how to use a search function then it works well. poke2.gif

see if you can search for "Go F!ST yourself." given your advanced board abilities, i think this wouldn't be a problem

poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

The only thing I really don't like is how some large scans, or scans put side to side, will expand the width of the pages beyond the screen width.

It is a complaint of mine, but my guess is that it's WAD (working as designed as software engineers like to call it).

Please keep the comments coming. I'd like to develop a feel for the consensus. So even if you don't have much to add to what someone else has posted, I'd like to know how you feel.

It's the best BB software around hands down; so good in fact I'm thinking of purchasing it myself and updating my own boards. The problem is I don't think there's a conversion from phpbb to UBB...

Ditto all the above. Very easy to use. Visually, it's pleasing. Not too cluttered and easy to follow.

Search function is a little tough, but not the end of the world.

Much better than any other message board I've been on. thumbsup2.gif

Ditto all the above. Very easy to use. Visually, it's pleasing. Not too cluttered and easy to follow.

I agree with Chrisco.

Just a little reccomendation though:

Ignore Sal. We try but arent really succesfull. poke2.gif

I agree with Chrisco.

why, I oughta...

*shakes fist*

I agree with Chrisco.

why, I oughta...

*shakes fist*

Your an old geezer, Ebenezer

I agree with Chrisco.

why, I oughta...

*shakes fist*

Your an old geezer, Ebenezer

i'm not going to let you hijack this thread, DB Cooper

• Administrator
I'd prefer that you stay with the same software unless whatever new software you migrate to would allow you to import the old posts. The many years worth of posts here are an important resource for the hobby, and keeping them available and searchable should be a primary consideration in any decision to move to a different setup.

Don't worry about that. We wouldn't move software or servers without preserving the history.

• Administrator
Please keep the comments coming. I'd like to develop a feel for the consensus. So even if you don't have much to add to what someone else has posted, I'd like to know how you feel.

I'll join in on the Searching function bashers. My most common aggravation is doing a search, forget to specify the appropriate board, go back and get it right and try to search again -- only to be told that I need to wait a while before doing another search. What's up with that? confused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

I can fix that. It's basically a time check on searching ot make sure the board performance doesn't get slammed by someone doing large searches repeatedly.

• Administrator
I might want to ask why you are even asking the question? I see no reason to quit this board software, unless you can help me understand what we have now vs what we could have. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a few general comments I've read in other areas about the navigation of the boards and whether it's "hard to use". I'm reality checking those ideas, as well as just looking for areas that need improvement. It could be that there are some things people don't like that I could fix within this same software even.

The boards are easy to navigate and a snap to use except for 2 glitches...

1) Search Function: Already mentioned a couple of times. Earlier software versions were much easier to use. ( and yes OG...I know how to use it tongue.gif)

2)Graemlins: I found this problem on differant browsers. Sometimes it takes forever for the compliment of graemlins to load. I'm no software expert but it seems that there should be a fix for this.

I might want to ask why you are even asking the question? I see no reason to quit this board software, unless you can help me understand what we have now vs what we could have. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just a few general comments I've read in other areas about the navigation of the boards and whether it's "hard to use". I'm reality checking those ideas, as well as just looking for areas that need improvement. It could be that there are some things people don't like that I could fix within this same software even.

Looking for a raise? grin.gif

Jim

• Administrator
The boards are easy to navigate and a snap to use except for 2 glitches...

1) Search Function: Already mentioned a couple of times. Earlier software versions were much easier to use. ( and yes OG...I know how to use it tongue.gif)

2)Graemlins: I found this problem on differant browsers. Sometimes it takes forever for the compliment of graemlins to load. I'm no software expert but it seems that there should be a fix for this.

On the graemlins thing, they should cache once loaded. If they repeatedly take a long time to load, check your browser cache settings. There are also several animated graemlins, on much older computers with slow processors, that can be an issue as the processor may bog down animating them. However, any hardware even marginally current shouldn't have that issue.