• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you guys like this board software?

76 posts in this topic

• Administrator

I've heard a comment or two in the past about navigation issues from other areas, but we seems to get lots of happy traffic. SO:

1) Do you like it in general?

2) If there are some areas that need improvement, what are they?

3) Can you provide links to boards running other software that you like better (if there are any)?

please simplify the search function. that "older than," "newer than" thing takes a hella time to figure out.

oh, and doing a search for a thread, and having to wade through two hundred posts all from the same thread that isn't the one you're looking for...that's no fun.

being said, though, i find this board the simplest and most intuitive format of the five or six i frequent. so big ups to you for that

• Administrator
I like fact it auto jumps you to first post unread

Problem is, if you've visited a main page and don't click on a specific thread, it counts it as "read" even though you didn't.

It shouldn't, if you don't close your browser.

I don't have that much of a problem with the search function.

The key is to know a keyword from the thread you are searching for.

Would be nice if the search didn't return things that were inside quotes. So a thread with 1 instance of a search string doesn't return 10 results because that instance was quoted 9 times.

I like fact it auto jumps you to first post unread

Problem is, if you've visited a main page and don't click on a specific thread, it counts it as "read" even though you didn't.

It shouldn't, if you don't close your browser.

thumbsup2.gif

I like this software. I both run and use other board software and I think you can't do much better then what what you've got here.

As for the search function, just keep in mind that if it doesn't work like google then people think it sucks. If you actually know how to use a search function then it works well. poke2.gif

The one issue I've mentioned before when things were updated was....

If you use Mozilla, when you go back out of a thread (or to another page) it automatically puts you at the top of the page instead of where you were.

Minor annoyance. Doesn't happen with IE.

It is great. I think I'm spoiled now. I go to other boards and they seem slightly primitive in comparison as far as navigating the threads and sections is concerned. There are a few others that come close to this but nothing that I have found surpassing it.

Ok Arch. I agree that the boards work fine. Thank you thumbsup2.gif Glad you changed the timing out of posting / creating posts a while back.

As for the Search function - yeaaaaahh, I go both ways about it. As Norin said, if you know what you're looking for, it works great BUT for newbies, it must be terrible to find past topics or backstories. However, isn't it because we tend to use always the same "terms" as we are a topic-centered board? You can't do much about that.

I like the idea of returning only relevant threads and not all posts in a thread with the returned search would be great if it can be combined with a narrow in-thread search function (because we do have some monstrous threads in our history).

I've heard a comment or two in the past about navigation issues from other areas, but we seems to get lots of happy traffic. SO:

1) Do you like it in general?

YES!

2) If there are some areas that need improvement, what are they?

THIS MAY BE THE WRONG TIME TO ASK, BUT, WE ARE LONG OVER-DUE FOR AT LEST 1

NEW GREAMLIN, PLEASE.

3) Can you provide links to boards running other software that you like better (if there are any)?

www.Comicbookresources.com I like the way they give you for presenting spoilers.

I view many other sites, but this is the only one I post on as it is easy to, and well maintained.