• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC now adding image scans to cert lookup?
4 4

18 posts in this topic

I was searching some recently graded books and noticed scans of the books on the certificate lookup page. Only on some books though like an ASM 300 9.6 - so not sure if it's just for higher cost books? 

I have never noticed this before and think if this is going to be a normal thing now it would be great to have.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:53 AM, Timed said:

I was searching some recently graded books and noticed scans of the books on the certificate lookup page. Only on some books though like an ASM 300 9.6 - so not sure if it's just for higher cost books? 

I have never noticed this before and think if this is going to be a normal thing now it would be great to have.

Can you post a link to what you saw, please? 

Maybe the scans are visible on those submissions where the $5 imaging was added...part of what you get for the fee?

On 5/1/2023 at 2:42 AM, Lightning55 said:

Can you post a link to what you saw, please? 

Maybe the scans are visible on those submissions where the $5 imaging was added...part of what you get for the fee?

Here is an example: https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4234913003/

Maybe, but I thought scans were only emailed to the submitter. If this is a new thing it's really neat.

• Administrator
On 5/1/2023 at 4:33 AM, Lightning55 said:

Maybe @CGC Mike knows what's up with the photo lookup result.

All I know is, there should be an announcement about this coming fairly soon.  I do not know what it will say. 

This would be great!

I looked up verification for a couple of my Walkthrough books that were just slabbed -- imaging was paid for as well -- and I'm not seeing the scans there. Not the end of the world, but would be nice if it can get off the ground...? I'll look forward to the announcement.

I just looked up 2 books that I paid imaging for and were shipped out by CGC on April 10.  The images are on the cert pages.

My previous submission shipped out 29 March with no images paid for, and no images are on the cert pages (of the 3 books out of 25 I checked).

On 5/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, WilliamLunt said:

I recently received a shipment of 25 books. Every book has a front and back scan included when looking up the certification number. I did not pay for scans. I can see the scans whether I'm logged in or not.

Umm err are they your books specifically?  Maybe I missed that, so it's not just a raw or example of the book? But personal copy hm

That leads me to the next question...

Is it copy and pastable? Or downloadable? For per se the registry? I'm sure the news will be up pretty soon. But this "might save a lot of trouble."

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Actually I'll be curious to see if these are to help with QC. If you can see the scans before they ship, hopefully they can correct QC issues before they go out. They may also be able to automate label issues if basic AI can scan and read a label and compare existing pictures in a database.

On 5/1/2023 at 8:20 PM, WilliamLunt said:

Yes, they are scans are my encapsulated books (not stock images). I can zoom in but not download.

If this is the new normal, seems like another weapon to deal with forgeries like the Captain America #1 and Hulk #1 situation.

I'm sure a quality scan can provide a quality screenshot if need be, so that's interesting  :)

Thanks for the feedback!

On 5/1/2023 at 8:22 PM, Tnexus said:

Actually I'll be curious to see if these are to help with QC. If you can see the scans before they ship, hopefully they can correct QC issues before they go out. They may also be able to automate label issues if basic AI can scan and read a label and compare existing pictures in a database.

I contemplated this and guessed the same basically when it comes to mechanical errors. At the very least it would help when requesting an error shipment, that cgc would have photos already, and then perhaps can make in house assessments to an end that would eventually help minimize the process and amount of them. Pure judgement call, but sounds insightful , "May Be!"

On 5/1/2023 at 4:12 AM, Timed said:

Here is an example: https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4234913003/

Maybe, but I thought scans were only emailed to the submitter. If this is a new thing it's really neat.

That is neat but it reminds me how I have not really been pleased with the quality of CGC's scans (the add-on with grading)

Edited by Heronext

This is an interesting legal situation- who owns the rights to these images?  Do submitters sign a waiver for cgc to display photographs of their graded books?  Might they be legally required to?