• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did You Meet Your Comic Book Heroes?
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Here are the Mid-Ohio Con program books I got signed.  These things just blow my mind a little more every time I pull them out.  I don't immediately recognize some of the signatures, but the guides list all the guests, so I can go back and figure out who most of them are.  All of these were free, so it was a great bonus when someone would knock out a quick sketch, too. (thumbsu

I don't know why I did this only these two years. (shrug)

MOC-96.jpg

MOC-96-2.jpg

MOC-96-3.jpg

MOC-96-4.jpg

MOC-97.jpg

MOC-97-1.jpg

MOC-97-2.jpg

Those are great!  Getting to meet all of those guys and handing them a (slowly decreasing) blank page to do their thing.  I do wish Martin Nodell had a little more time though as it took me a minute to figure out what he had drawn.  Almost looked like a... well, it seemed.... kind of like a...

johnson.gif

On 5/3/2023 at 9:00 AM, iggykoopa said:

If you seen Stan the Man in his last few years it was hard to watch him signing since he was just being pushed books in front of him and then passing them along, being directed by his crew to not interact (and for you not to interact with him) with his fans. 

Your interaction sounds like the exception, but it would’ve been disheartening for me to meet someone in such a mercantile manner, being herded along and what not, almost ensuring the most generic of experiences for everyone else. 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, PopKulture said:

Your interaction sounds like the exception, but it would’ve been disheartening for me to meet someone in such a mercantile manner, being herded along and what not, almost ensuring the most generic of experiences for everyone else. 

Yep, I was happy I got a small interaction with him but it was absolutely disheartening to see him like that. 

I too was slightly taken aback by the prominent green cylindrical object to the left of Nodell’s signature, saddened by the thought that someone had ruined this memento of a fantastic experience with a sophomoric and quite infantile act, until I thankfully recalled that Nodell was the creator of the original, Golden Age Green Lantern, and then the sketch made perfect sense.

Joking apart, those are absolutely superb. Congrats.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/2/2023 at 1:52 PM, drbanner said:

Yes - Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, and George Perez (multiple times, 1st in 1981). All 3 were nice and welcoming, even Neal Adams who had a bit of a rep for being short with fans. It was at one of the 1st Megacons and I was one of the last people that made the cutoff for a drawing but it wouldn't be ready until the next day. I told him I was only there the one day so he quickly drew out a little Batman head shot for me, still have it.

Met Jim Steranko at Dragon Con in Atlanta, he was a bit of a <dork>. I approached him at his booth for a sig on my Strange Tales 167 when no one else was around and he literally got up and told me to come back after lunch.

Sadly, never got to meet Herb Trimpe but I did correspond with him via email about commissioning a Hulk drawing. Not that I was looking for one, but under no circumstances was he going to do another Hulk 181 recreation! lol

Suprised about Jim Steranko. He is usually very engaging with fans. Loves to talk. Used to be he would sign one or two items at no charge. After that he would request $5. Per sig and donated the money to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund I believe. A very fun guy to meet with an sig that is a piece of art all in itself. 

He hit on my wife once at a show. Right in front of me. Almost hard to tell if it was legit or not. She called him a creepy, dirty old man which he seemed to enjoy. 

On 5/2/2023 at 4:32 PM, rexinnih said:

Jealous you got to meet Bellman. I discovered him about a year before he passed and was able to get a couple of commissions from him. Wanted to meet him in person and get a pic but unfortunately wasn't able to. Extremely nice and we even talked on the phone a couple of times while he was doing the commission. 

Growing up in San Diego and going to the Con in late 70's up to early 90's, I look back at some of the attendees who were there that I missed and am happy for those I met, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and others but can't lament those I missed. Back in the swing of cons now, I try to get the sig and selfie if they are open to it.

Pretty much everybody went to SDCC back in the day. Prowling Artist’s Alley was a rare treat. No lines, no fees, no “witnesses”. I met most of the GA & SA greats just sitting at a table. 

On 5/2/2023 at 2:14 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I realize now how I didn't appreciate enough at the time going to Mid-Ohio Con every year from the late 80s to the early 2000s.  I met so many amazing creators but was too shy to really speak to most of them, and a lot of them have now passed.  I never really liked getting comics signed, either, but I've got a couple convention programs with multiple signatures and sketches that I love looking at now.

John Byrne was not at all the curmudgeon I'd heard about when I met him.  He was always friendly to everyone I saw.  Walt and Louise Simonson were absolutely the nicest, most genuine people you could ever hope to meet.  Mark Waid was very cool at the time, although he's since, um, gotten a reputation for bad behavior.  Roger Stern was awesome.  I was always too shy to engage with the Golden Age guys, but I remember Martin Nodell and Sheldon Moldoff being really cool and gracious to me and my friends.  I had a very embarrassing encounter with P. Craig Russell when I tried to compliment him and confused some of his work with Charles Vess. :tonofbricks: He laughed it off, said he was honored to be mentioned in the same breath as Vess, and let me slink away with my dignity somewhat intact...

Nodell and Moldoff were at SDCC every year for many years. Got a lot of Green Lantern and Hawkman GA books signed. Carrie Nodell was a real sweetie. 
Great folks with limitless energy.

I also saw Kelly Freas and his wife many times. He signed a bunch of my MADs and did a cool Alfred E Neuman sketch for me. He told me a lot of stories about Gaines and Feldstein. 

On 5/3/2023 at 7:00 AM, iggykoopa said:

Bob Layton - One of the coolest guys I've ever met. He signed a couple books of mine and took a pic with me. He was very chatty to everybody and seemed genuinely interested in interacting with his fans.

Jim Starlin - I happened to be the only guy in the line and we talked for about 10 minutes. He signed my IM55 and it was ripped on the front cover. He talked about how bad he felt that it was ripped like that but that meant that it must be a well loved copy. He signed it and then took a pic with me and him holding it. He is a really cool, down-to-earth guy. 

Stan Lee - I had the chance to meet him in New Orleans in 2018 (I think). I was the very last guy in line on Friday night and as he was signing my FF52 I told him that I was very thankful for the world he helped to create and that he was there. He stood up and took my hand in both of his hands and said "you're very welcome" and nodded and smiled. He walked away after that since I was the last guy in the line. It was pretty cool and was happy that he took even a few seconds to say hi and shake my hand. If you seen Stan the Man in his last few years it was hard to watch him signing since he was just being pushed books in front of him and then passing them along, being directed by his crew to not interact (and for you not to interact with him) with his fans. 

Very sad what happened to Stan. I met him many times at con’s and got a signature for free. He always took his time with fans. Always made it memorable for them. Last time I took a couple copies of Margie #36. A 1947 book that was the first and only GA book with him featured and pictured throughout an entire story. I gave him a rather low grade copy and pointed it out. He was thrilled as he had forgotton  about it. He was waving it around and showing it off to his crew. Great guy. So sad that he was turned into nothing but a money making machine at the end. 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Suprised about Jim Steranko. He is usually very engaging with fans. Loves to talk. Used to be he would sign one or two items at no charge. After that he would request $5. Per sig and donated the money to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund I believe. A very fun guy to meet with an sig that is a piece of art all in itself. 

He hit on my wife once at a show. Right in front of me. Almost hard to tell if it was legit or not. She called him a creepy, dirty old man which he seemed to enjoy. 

Not surprised by the Steranko story at all.

had a negative experience with him at the Motorcity comicon nearly 20 years.  It was the only bad experience I’ve ever had with a creator.  

On 5/3/2023 at 9:06 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not surprised by the Steranko story at all.

had a negative experience with him at the Motorcity comicon nearly 20 years.  It was the only bad experience I’ve ever had with a creator.  

Wasn’t negative at all. Just a little weird. He does have a bit of a well earned ego but we just found it a bit amusing…

I’ve met a few of my heroes.

Neal Adams - Met him at HeroesCon 2019. It was a cool experience. He signed my Green Lantern #85. 

Jim Steranko - Met him at HeroesCon 2022. Super cool guy! Loves to chat and will easily make it a memorable experience. Just know that he WILL NOT take a photo with you. But I did get a pre-drawn sketch personalized to me.

Jim Lee - Met him at Baltimore Comic-Con 2022. Talked with him for a few short minutes and he was super nice.

Frank Miller - I also met him at Baltimore Comic-Con 2022. Wasn’t the best experience, but nonetheless, still cool to meet him.

I’ve met other comic creators and although wouldn’t call them my heroes, I do enjoy their work.

One of the best stories I've heard about meeting a comic book artist wasn't from a comic fan......but from another comic artist.  

It happened when Jim Steranko met Bob Kane for the very first time.  For those who aren't aware of it, here's what happened in Steranko's own words.  Keep in mind....when growing up, Steranko was a small child and became a target for bullies and young gang-members, so he studied self-defense and took up boxing to defend himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hadn't encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin' SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him, and walked me into a hallway.  There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes--and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f***ing Flintheart in a Dick Tracy cartoon.  

For years, I'd heard how he'd taken credit for Bill Finger's contributions (in addition to half his pay) and other despicable tales from his associates.  But nothing aces an in-person encounter.  We were introduced and Kane began talking about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully.  He felt I credited Robinson and Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much.  Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious, an intolerable ass as pompous as they come.  I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements.

The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened.  Our conversation ended, but not before he said: "See you later, Jim, baby", and cuffed me across the face--like some rat-pack street gesture he'd seen in some cheap flick.  The doors closed...

I was stunned by the sheer audacity of a stranger--like him--to lay a hand on me, and boiling with anger.  That night, I couldn't sleep, and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty.  Around noon, I found him in another group, which I walked into.  "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then b**ch-slapped him across the face.  But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us.  I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting.  He did nothing.

I turned and left.  But I regret it now.  I regret that he didn't do anything about it, even though he was at least a head taller than me.  I wouldn't have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of."

Edited by Domo Arigato

I've had instances where meeting heroes was a letdown, but most of the time they're amazing.

When I met Bernie Wrightson for the first time I stood in front of his booth with tears in my eyes and he looks at me and says, "Oh no, please don't cry." Absolutely one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Meeting Evel Knievel was straight from a dream. It couldn't have been more incredible.

Meeting John Byrne...hmmmm
I'd like to think it was just a bad day for him and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, Robot Man said:

Fun experience and a great guy!

IMG_0702.jpeg

On 5/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, Robot Man said:

comshowcase22a.jpg

Really great personalized books, especially that Panic!  (worship)

Man, it was almost as if Bill Gaines was anticipating it somehow all those years earlier...  hm

I know you've mentioned that there's some collecting blood that runs in your family, and not unlike the Verzyl's holdings, I hope your heirs see fit to hold back some of these uber-personalized books when you pass them on - many years from now.  :preach: