• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did You Meet Your Comic Book Heroes?
1 1

80 posts in this topic

Yup.

Stan Lee, Garth Ennis, Jim Steranko, Dave Stevens, Bernie Wrightson, Matt Wagner, Kyle Baker, Mike Mignola, Geof Darrow, Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, George Perez, Brian Bolland, Barry Windsor Smith, P. Craig Russell, Jill Thompson, Michael Kaluta, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Nelson DeCastro, Sergio Aragones, Alex Ross, Mark Millar, Grant Morrison, Dave Gibbons, Garry Leach, Charles Vess, David Lloyd, Eddie Campbell, Kevin O'Neill, Steve Dillon, Walt Simonson, Peter David, Steve Rude, Glenn Fabry, Chris Weston, John McCrea, Los Bros Hernandez, plus Matt Groening, Ron English, and Stephen King,  All of them were kind enough to sign autographs for me, a few did sketches. Most of them seemed like pretty nice people. Some didn't talk much, but only Grant Morrison seemed a little annoyed by the whole business. 

I guess Alan Moore, the King of them All, is the main one who got away.

I'd also like to shake hands with Gilbert Shelton, Neil Gaiman, Chris Ware, Frank Miller, Tim Truman, Brian K. Vaughan, and John Bolton at some point, maybe Jim Lee and the Toddfather, too.

On 5/3/2023 at 5:42 PM, Domo Arigato said:

One of the best stories I've heard about meeting a comic book artist wasn't from a comic fan......but from another comic artist.  

It happened when Jim Steranko met Bob Kane for the very first time.  For those who aren't aware of it, here's what happened in Steranko's own words.  Keep in mind....when growing up, Steranko was a small child and became a target for bullies and young gang-members, so he studied self-defense and took up boxing to defend himself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hadn't encountered Kane in my travels, but at one rockin' SDCC, an associate asked me if I wanted to meet him, and walked me into a hallway.  There he was, in a small group of people, wearing patent-leather shoes--and an ASCOT, like he was Vitamin f***ing Flintheart in a Dick Tracy cartoon.  

For years, I'd heard how he'd taken credit for Bill Finger's contributions (in addition to half his pay) and other despicable tales from his associates.  But nothing aces an in-person encounter.  We were introduced and Kane began talking about my Batman chapter in the HISTORY OF COMICS, which treated him--and everyone else--very respectfully.  He felt I credited Robinson and Finger (both of whom I knew intimately) too much.  Kane (aka Kahn) was beyond pretentious, an intolerable ass as pompous as they come.  I bit my tongue while he regaled us with his many achievements.

The group was waiting for an elevator, which they stepped into when the door opened.  Our conversation ended, but not before he said: "See you later, Jim, baby", and cuffed me across the face--like some rat-pack street gesture he'd seen in some cheap flick.  The doors closed...

I was stunned by the sheer audacity of a stranger--like him--to lay a hand on me, and boiling with anger.  That night, I couldn't sleep, and the next morning began combing the halls for his Bat Majesty.  Around noon, I found him in another group, which I walked into.  "Good to see you, Bob, baby!" I said, then b**ch-slapped him across the face.  But this time, there was no elevator door closing between us.  I stood there for about 15 seconds, waiting.  He did nothing.

I turned and left.  But I regret it now.  I regret that he didn't do anything about it, even though he was at least a head taller than me.  I wouldn't have minded bleeding at all for one more opportunity to give Kane the kind of Bat Lesson that Finger, Robinson, Sprang and others only dreamed of."

I dig Steranko, but he has a very, very vivid imagination. 

Only ever met one, and thankfully it was Stan Lee here in the UK. 

I was 13 years old and he was friendly, charming and charismatic. I’d never met an American before never mind the co-creator of all my favourite characters. 
He signed my Silver Surfer #1 and the 30 years of Marvel book by Les Daniels. 

an experience I’ll never forget. 

Been going to conventions since the early 90s - Met most of my comic book heroes over the years.  Most of them were extremely nice.  Couple tidbits of note:

• Chris Claremont - As you can probably guess by my avatar, he was a big one for me.  He was totally nice but he didn't bother to ask how to spell my name and used the less common variant.  So I have a personalized X-men 101 with my name misspelled.  Amusing story anyway.
  • Paul Smith - Another biggie for me - Didn't realize he would be at the show I went to, so I had to dig through vendor boxes to find a book for him to sign. Couldn't find any of his X-men run, had to settle for a fill in Iron Man issue he did.  So I have a Iron Man with a little Lockheed drawing on it.

I would have loved to meet Byrne and Austin at some point, maybe one day....

Paul Smith is one of the very few creators on my bucket list.  He was supposed to be at the Motorcity con in the early 2000’s, but couldn’t make it due to inclement weather.  

Marie Severin was supposed to be at that show, too, but likewise cancelled due to the weather.  I never had the opportunity to meet this talented lady, but I’ve heard about so many good experiences from others who met her.

As a huge Wolverine fan growing up, Larry Hama has always been one of my all-time favorites.  I've had the opportunity to meet him three times, in three separate years, at three different conventions...and each time he's been pissed off.  It makes me sad.  The guy just doesn't seem to want to be there, ever.  

Luckily, my positive con interactions far outweigh the very few negative ones that I have had.  If I had to name one creator I still want to meet (again, Wolverine-centric), it's Mark Texeira.  

So far, I've met and spoken to Stan, Neal, Roy, Herb, Steranko, Root, and Claremont. I've met others but basically in passing. I got to speak to Adams and Trimpe at length, both were very cool. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/8/2023 at 12:32 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Roy Thomas was a really nice, engaging guy.  We had a long chat about the Justice Society, how it had always been one of my favourite teams since childhood, reading the Golden Age reprints of the team members in the Bronze Age 100 pagers, then the Conway / Wood / Levitz All-Star Comics, the later Infinity Inc stories, and through into the 90s with Strazewski / Parobeck / Johns, and so on for absolutely ages.

Then, noticing my accent, he changed the subject and started talking about how much he liked visiting England, including my home city, Manchester, as he’d done the Granada Studios tour and had visited the set of his favourite British soap opera, Coronation Street. Apparently at the time I met him, mid-2000s, he had a large collection of videotapes of the show, which started back in 1960. Quite a fan of it.

So, incredible conversation, which went in a completely surprising, unexpected direction. Very memorable.

Man City or Man U, Ken?

On 5/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, seanfingh said:

Man City or Man U, Ken?

Always been a non-sporty nerd, sadly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/2/2023 at 1:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Some of the nicest creators I've met were those pictured below: Pablo Marcos, Allen Bellman, and Ron Wilson. I wouldn't call any of them among my "hero creators", but I will say that Marvel 2-In-1 Annual #7 pencilled by Ron Wilson is among my favorite comic books.

Other creators that I always had great interactions with that come to mind are: Neal Adams, Bob Camp, Dave DeVries, Mike Perkins, Arvell Jones, Joe Giella, Carl Potts, Khoi Pham, Sean Chen, and Mike Mayhew.

20160904_153531-1.thumb.jpg.bd70d068bc0121efd261fbfc769ac5c8.jpg

Wow you got to meet Allen Bellman!  He recently passed.  One of the great artists of early timely. http://allenbellman.com/ 

He did a lot of captain america, bucky, young allies, human torch namor in the early days ... as in back in World War 2!!