• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed about cleaning a solid black comic
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Advice needed about cleaning a solid black comic.

I have a really nice Akira #1, which is a square bound book with pretty much all black cover.

On the back of the book, its only flaw is that it has some white rubbing from sliding on a backing board.

The white rubbing marks are right on the spot where the binding would bend when you open the book.

Is this possible to clean?  If so, what tool do you recommend?  (I will be careful)

On 5/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, Jon Thor said:

Advice needed about cleaning a solid black comic.

I have a really nice Akira #1, which is a square bound book with pretty much all black cover.

On the back of the book, its only flaw is that it has some white rubbing from sliding on a backing board.

The white rubbing marks are right on the spot where the binding would bend when you open the book.

Is this possible to clean?  If so, what tool do you recommend?  (I will be careful)

:thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics:

I think your saying that it's "more likely" that all the black ink rubbed off (on the book) than it is that some of the backing board rubbed off on top of the black cover?

Edited by Jon Thor

On 5/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jon Thor said:

I think your saying that it's "more likely" that all the black ink rubbed off (on the book) than it is that some of the backing board rubbed off on top of the black cover?

It's very unlikely that a board would transfer anything to a book. Unless the board is dirty and shouldn't be used.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, Topnotchman said:

What you’re describing sounds like the black back cover has rubbed off exposing the white paper stock. If that’s the case, no it can not be cleaned or improved. 

That's what I inferred, too.