• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me make a decision on a ASM 129
1 1

48 posts in this topic

This sort of trade off is much more prevalent in sealed graded toys; that is overall you have a much higher presenting slab but one significant flaw in this case that chip piece missing. 

Personally I would take B in this specific scenario. I have tons of 70s comics with the white spine wrap, so I'm probably a little biased from a nostalgic perspective but also the staples are mounted better in copy B as well. 

On 5/12/2023 at 6:30 AM, KCOComics said:

Of the 3, I like option C. 

How are the colors? They don't look as sharp,  but that could just be the photo. 

A bit more faded colors on option C. Still looking for more copies in the same grade. 

On 5/12/2023 at 6:54 AM, Cushing Fan said:

A bit more faded colors on option C. Still looking for more copies in the same grade. 

OK - I'm back to option A. I have a preference for really sharp colors. 

But I do think you'll find more options in your price range. 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:21 AM, Black_Adam said:

I agree with those who vote for neither of the above copies. ASM #129 is plentiful in the mid-grades and based on current GPA you should be able to land a CGC 5.0 - 5.5 at your budget of $1,200. And for mid-grade copies I would try to hunt for copies where the major flaws are on the back of the comic. As an example I show my own copy which presents very well for its grade as the major flaw is a subscription crease on the back cover. Be patient and be picky and you will be rewarded. Good luck with the hunt!

ASM129.jpg.7d26eddbb1a8c1c3dd964912979015e8.jpg

I have to agree. I know there's a new TV show coming out and prices may rise but it's not a rare book and prices usually fall back down as the show airs or finishes. I'd be patient and find a copy that presents well for the grade.

Like @Black_Adam.

I too picked up a copy with a subscription crease on the back cover. The front cover though looks so sweet for $700 during the price surge craze of a year ago.

image.thumb.jpg.c4e6b491d74dcde08192105429a97552.jpg

Edited by southern cross
Typo

On 5/12/2023 at 11:21 AM, Black_Adam said:

I agree with those who vote for neither of the above copies. ASM #129 is plentiful in the mid-grades and based on current GPA you should be able to land a CGC 5.0 - 5.5 at your budget of $1,200. And for mid-grade copies I would try to hunt for copies where the major flaws are on the back of the comic. As an example I show my own copy which presents very well for its grade as the major flaw is a subscription crease on the back cover. Be patient and be picky and you will be rewarded. Good luck with the hunt!

ASM129.jpg.7d26eddbb1a8c1c3dd964912979015e8.jpg

Wow, they really hammered the back for the crease as the front looks like a 9.0+

On 5/12/2023 at 8:43 AM, maraxusofkeld said:

Wow, they really hammered the back for the crease as the front looks like a 9.0+

I'm no expert grader (as shown by my placing in the most recent boards grading contest) but I think for a subscription crease - front or back - the highest a book can reasonably be expected to grade is 5.0 so in this case I think they actually bumped up the grade based on how nice the front looked!

On 5/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, Cushing Fan said:
Here is a choice C in off-white to white pages in the same grade.

Grader Notes
foreign substance left center of interior front cover
moderate creasing to cover
moderate wear spine breaks color
staple tears

Screenshot_20230511_211903_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230511_211934_eBay.jpg

I'd go for option D: keep looking. So far I still like B the best, but I also believe you can do better.