• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damage During Grading & Damaged Books getting 9.8
3 3

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

My latest submissions from C2E2 have been rolling in. 
In the first batch I had two books come back with the 9.8 that had massive spine tics. These damages were not present on the books when they were submitted which is more evident by them getting the 9.8. This means they were likely damaged prior to or during encapsulation. Support had me send in the two books with no indication of what the possible corrective action would be. I still have no idea if they are just going to regrade them and send them back or reimburse me for the damaged books.

Now today, I have just received my three signature series books back. One of them is the ASM 1 Skottie Young cover. Unfortunately, at C2E2 I got some tape stuck to the cover when placing the comic back into the bag (CGC observer would not let me go to a table to place it back so I had to try and juggle it back in on the show floor in a small isle full of people). I saw the damage and decided to submit the book anyway since I had already payed extra for 2 observed signatures. Imagine my suprise when it comes back a 9.8. 

So now I have had 2 perfect books come back damaged and 1 get a 9.8 when I knew it had tape pull... 

Has anyone else been experiencing issue like these lately? If you had damaged books come back, how was it handled by CGC?

I am beginning to loose all confidence in them handling my books (they damaged my first appearance of red hood on my first first submission) and their grading and QC capabilities. 

What are your guys opinions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

If 9.8s are not considered perfect, then there should be MANY MORE 9.9s coming from CGC.

I probably own thirty MODERN 9.8s and only two of them have a visible defect.

These are perfect books, many have never been opened.

Why are they not 9.9s?

Im not even asking for 10s.

I think some of the points are being missed.

I am aware 9.8s are not perfect. Two of three of the books mentioned however are NOT 9.8s. One has three color breaking spine tic's. The other has tape pull.

The other issue I have is that the books were damaged by CGC and this is the second time it has happened out of a relatively small run of submissions. When contacting support they were unable to provide me information on what is going to happen to the books once they have them in house (already mailed them back). 

Was more curious to see if others were experiencing these issues as well and possibly how they were resolved. 

Over the last three years, I have had approximately 500 comics graded - mostly modern and variant/limited covers. The most painful experience if you will during this time was an entire batch of comics that I pre-screened at 9.8 myself. I miss the mark every now and then and get back a 9.6 or even a 9.4, but not very often. All but three I believe it was had the same FC lower left impact crunch to varying degrees. Short version...those were definitely not there when I prescreened and boxed them, which I do very meticulously and solid. In my interactions with customer service the biggest thing is they wanted pictures if I had them of the comics' condition prior to shipping to them. Obviously I did not, so it was impossible to prove they had mishandled. After me being adamant several times that the likelihood of getting this many impact crunches would be rare to say the least, and even stating they could look at my average grades on previous submissions, why the heck would I send in brand new moderns that I expect to get only a 9.0 or 9.2 instead. Makes no sense, especially with titles such as Strange Academy #1. Ultimately, I think they got tired of me bugging them and said resubmit and they would press without charge and regrade.

Well, unfortunately - I don't think they tried pressing at all and they came back with the same grades.

Good luck~

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 5/15/2023 at 9:40 PM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Over the last three years, I have had approximately 500 comics graded - mostly modern and variant/limited covers. The most painful experience if you will during this time was an entire batch of comics that I pre-screened at 9.8 myself. I miss the mark every now and then and get back a 9.6 or even a 9.4, but not very often. All but three I believe it was had the same FC lower left impact crunch to varying degrees. Short version...those were definitely not there when I prescreened and boxed them, which I do very meticulously and solid. In my interactions with customer service the biggest thing is they wanted pictures if I had them of the comics' condition prior to shipping to them. Obviously I did not, so it was impossible to prove they had mishandled. After me being adamant several times that the likelihood of getting this many impact crunches would be rare to say the least, and even stating they could look at my average grades on previous submissions, why the heck would I send in brand new moderns that I expect to get only a 9.0 or 9.2 instead. Makes no sense, especially with titles such as Strange Academy #1. Ultimately, I think they got tired of me bugging them and said resubmit and they would press without charge and regrade.

Well, unfortunately - I don't think they tried pressing at all and they came back with the same grades.

Good luck~

That sucks.It's not surprising in the least, however.

Somewhat related...

I've heard stories like yours countless times since I've been here - the same corner damage to a whole submission.Never once, however, have I heard of CGC calling a customer to let them know that their stack of books was accidentally dropped on the floor, resulting in damage. I'd be curious to know if anyone has experienced this. Surely, there are honest employees working there - ones who will admit a mistake and report it to their supervisor. After all, as we are frequently reminded, there are hundreds of thousands of submissions every year.

When an employee consciously decides not to report an accident like this, it automatically becomes deceit. Perhaps the consequences of admitting an accident like this are very severe? Perhaps the employees are too dishonest to come clean to their supervisor? Perhaps the employees have been instructed by CGC to not volunteer any information regarding these accidents, CGC will deal with it if the customer complains? Regardless of the reason, it seems like CGC condones it.

On 5/12/2023 at 3:47 PM, Happy1Go1Lucky said:

Hey guys,

My latest submissions from C2E2 have been rolling in. 
In the first batch I had two books come back with the 9.8 that had massive spine tics. These damages were not present on the books when they were submitted which is more evident by them getting the 9.8. This means they were likely damaged prior to or during encapsulation. Support had me send in the two books with no indication of what the possible corrective action would be. I still have no idea if they are just going to regrade them and send them back or reimburse me for the damaged books.

Now today, I have just received my three signature series books back. One of them is the ASM 1 Skottie Young cover. Unfortunately, at C2E2 I got some tape stuck to the cover when placing the comic back into the bag (CGC observer would not let me go to a table to place it back so I had to try and juggle it back in on the show floor in a small isle full of people). I saw the damage and decided to submit the book anyway since I had already payed extra for 2 observed signatures. Imagine my suprise when it comes back a 9.8. 

So now I have had 2 perfect books come back damaged and 1 get a 9.8 when I knew it had tape pull... 

Has anyone else been experiencing issue like these lately? If you had damaged books come back, how was it handled by CGC?

I am beginning to loose all confidence in them handling my books (they damaged my first appearance of red hood on my first first submission) and their grading and QC capabilities. 

What are your guys opinions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

At least you can see what’s going on. I’m getting 9.6’s with no visible issues and no notes. & had 9.8 cgc took out of slab (no issues) had signed again no issues and something must of happened during shipping because both that where sent via grading/pressing had damaged corners!   Again pre graded before signature and witnessed by myself and cgc at megacon with no issue. Now get them back as 9.4 with major corner damage. Come on wtf  ask cgc about shipping policy when at these events and basically got the “handle with care” statement. Then asked about insurance on damaged comics and was emailed policy on slab removal. Not answering my question   Starting not to trust cgc.  Oh and by the way both were never pressed  just graded and shipped. Had to send back for pressing and re-grade. Hopefully they don’t damage further 

Kurt,

Appreciate your comment. Just received 3 books back that I was confident would be 9.8s, all 3. They came back as (2) 9.4s and (1) 9.2 and I can see any discernible defects on any of them. No notes on any of them. Without notes, how am I supposed to understand what they're seeing as a defect and I'm not seeing, so I can better screen for the future.

Thx,

Bob