• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman #5 (1943) - Apparent Cut-Out Page, but no missing page? Is this a known issue?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. Recently picked up a copy of Wonder Woman #5 (1943) and am planning to send it off to get graded. While going through the pages and doing a page count, I noticed there appears to be a page cut out between page 14 of the "Mars Invades the Moon" story, and the start of the Susan B. Anthony story. Noticed the same thing between the 2 Hop Harrigan text pages, but checking page counts online, there is no missing pages, and no pages between those sections in the book. Just wanted to check and see if this is a known / common occurrence in Golden Age books, or maybe it's something I've never heard of but is a known defect? Thanks for the help!

WonderWoman5_1.jpg

WonderWoman5_2.jpg

WonderWoman5_3.jpg

WonderWoman5_4.jpg

Paper shortages.  They had to use the material they had on hand.  I have a nice Sensation with the same "half-leafs".  I wonder though, did DC relegate the half pages to WW books?  :grin:

On 5/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, Yorick said:

Paper shortages.  They had to use the material they had on hand.  I have a nice Sensation with the same "half-leafs".  I wonder though, did DC relegate the half pages to WW books?  :grin:

I think somewhere I have a very beat up Mutt & Jeff with the same half pages; plus a few examples from other publishers.  It was pretty common.  And it's really easy for those pages to get lost in a lower grade book.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:49 PM, lose your future said:

While going through the pages and doing a page count, I noticed there appears to be a page cut out

Many/most of the DC comics from 1943-44 were 60-page issues -- the standard 4-page cover plus 56 interior pages (also known as 28 interior leaves).  Those 28 leaves consisted of 12 wraps (at 4 pgs each) plus 4 "tipped-in" leaves (at 2 pgs each).  A 60-page DC should have 16 interior leaves (32 interior pages) before the center staple and 12 leaves (24 interior pages) after.

If you are only seeing a single tipped-in leaf (like you describe above) rather than four, your book will not have 60 pages.  So count up the interior leaves one more time.  :foryou: