• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its just to hard to do some art
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, BA773 said:

Men i taked 1h hour of time just to do this mess... that's just worth nothing. :cry:

With this topic, i'm not want to saying you can't criticize DC and Marvel artist but realize how lucky we are to have all of this very talented guys. Its a really hard work men!20230513_175705.thumb.jpg.399d28fadc877c01c695f034c5ec4b0b.jpg

Practice, practice, practice, though.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I don’t think that I can draw any better now than when I was 12.

Then again, I’ve always had problems visualising objects in three dimensions, working out what they look like when you move them around, which is a necessary skill here.

Same for me, have the sentiment to be better was i was a teenager. Probably because when we stop we lost.

Edited by BA773

On 5/13/2023 at 12:01 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I don’t think that I can draw any better now than when I was 12.

Then again, I’ve always had problems visualising objects in three dimensions, working out what they look like when you move them around, which is a necessary skill here.

You need to draw, in order to get better.   Too many people try something, see they aren't any good and give up. 

Only by doing something badly can you get better.

I started painting toy soldiers almost two years ago and was horrible at it. They looked okay when wet but dried terribly. Twenty-five years ago, I had the same results when I started and quickly gave up. This time I stuck with it, and after painting over 500 figures, some several times, I'm at a point where some come out decent enough.  I've progressed enough that I'm beginning to paint more expensive things like tanks and houses.  I suspect in another dozen years or so I might be considered competent.  Last week, I was invited to see a diorama of the battle of Tarawa that a gentleman's father started in 1978 and left unfinished when he died in 2005. It was over 800 individual soldiers, pill boxes, cannons and the like. Each figure had the completion date on the bottom of the base and comparing a few you could see how the man progressed.

You may well not draw any better than when you 12 now,  but give it a half hour a day for six weeks and I highly suspect you'll find the statement is no longer valid. 

Doing something you enjoy badly is better than not doing something you like because you are bad at it.  

Think about singing. Most people enjoy singing, but rarely do because they aren't very good.

On 5/13/2023 at 10:06 AM, BA773 said:

..realize how lucky we are to have all of this very talented guys.

I spent most of my adult life working as an artist and in art-related fields. The ability to story-tell and make sequential art is a developed talent I respect and admire in comic artists, and would love to devote 10-20 years in learning how to do. In my experience, the guy who draws comic books has a skillset that goes much deeper than all the traditional artists I've met in my lifetime.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:48 PM, Doctor Dositheus said:

Put it on ebay as some "obscure artist, very rare, one of a kind". 

Yeah im probably will try to smoke dumb on Ebay. You never know what people are ready to pay for strange arts.

Edited by BA773

On 5/13/2023 at 1:49 PM, Bookery said:

You're lucky to have had a ruler!  When I was young we were so poor two of my friends would have to catch and stretch out a copperhead snake while I drew a line beside it.  One of the lads spent a week in the hospital after we dared for an isosceles triangle!  But... good times, good times.

image.png.72988c02738a7e2b5cd209484dec9df4.png

John Buscema used to use empty newspaper margins and inside of cereal boxes to practice sketching on when he was younger. 

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, shadroch said:

This time I stuck with it, and after painting over 500 figures, some several times, I'm at a point where some come out decent enough.

Post some pics. :popcorn:

On 5/13/2023 at 9:25 PM, shadroch said:

You need to draw, in order to get better.   Too many people try something, see they aren't any good and give up. 

I started painting toy soldiers almost two years ago and was horrible at it. They looked okay when wet but dried terribly. Twenty-five years ago, I had the same results when I started and quickly gave up. This time I stuck with it, and after painting over 500 figures, some several times, I'm at a point where some come out decent enough.  I've progressed enough that I'm beginning to paint more expensive things like tanks and houses.  I suspect in another dozen years or so I might be considered competent.  Last week, I was invited to see a diorama of the battle of Tarawa that a gentleman's father started in 1978 and left unfinished when he died in 2005. It was over 800 individual soldiers, pill boxes, cannons and the like. Each figure had the completion date on the bottom of the base and comparing a few you could see how the man progressed.

You may well not draw any better than when you 12 now,  but give it a half hour a day for six weeks and I highly suspect you'll find the statement is no longer valid. 

Doing something you enjoy badly is better than not doing something you like because you are bad at it.  

Think about singing. Most people enjoy singing, but rarely do because they aren't very good.

Bro, you saved my desginer career! 

Draw to became better at drawing. Thanks to say that. 

Practice is the key to success, (im an athlete, i do run and powerlifting) to became better in this activites i just practised a lot, there is no secret! And same for every activites!

So now i recently started to draw what i usually does when i was young, some charachters. I already see some real progress! 

This morning i decided to start an instagram account to publish my creations. I almost finish my first. Its a vilain, very bad and ugly :canofworms:

On 5/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, BA773 said:

Men i taked 1h hour of time just to do this mess... that's just worth nothing. :cry:

With this topic, i'm not want to saying you can't criticize DC and Marvel artist but realize how lucky we are to have all of this very talented guys. Its a really hard work men!20230513_175705.thumb.jpg.399d28fadc877c01c695f034c5ec4b0b.jpg

Looks like Brav is an butthead cousin

On 5/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, shadroch said:

Spot on