• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Newsstands ever get a separate census number?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Honestly I assumed that would be the case when this was rolled out. As simply denoting newsstand on the label isn’t really that helpful as most collectors can easily determine this for 99% of books. 

please consider adding this feature 

• Administrator

Hello @Hot Nickels ,

Thank you for your message. This is something that has been considered by our graders and is being worked on. But, at this time, we do not have a timeline for when this census report addition will be made available. Thank you for your patience!

On 5/25/2023 at 5:19 PM, Fraggy said:

They shouldn't.

On 5/26/2023 at 3:13 PM, Hot Nickels said:

Who shouldn’t what?

Doing so will create false perceived scarcity as all the many newsstands graded from 1999-2022 will not be listed separate in the census. Unless that 23 years of data is present then it is tantamount to encouraging a lie. Same as it is now with multi-pack stuff.  Unscrupulous sellers,dealers, auction houses and flippers will make a killing selling books to the uniformed advertising them as "newsstand 1/1".  Therefore I'm sure CGC will do it :(

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/26/2023 at 4:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

Doing so will create false perceived scarcity as all the many newsstands graded from 1999-2022 will not be listed separate in the census. Unless that 23 years of data is present then it is tantamount to encouraging a lie. Same as it is now with multi-pack stuff.  Unscrupulous sellers,dealers, auction houses and flippers will make a killing selling books to the uniformed advertising them as "newsstand 1/1".  Therefore I'm sure CGC will do it :(

Consider me humbled having received a non confused like from @greggy. So this is what its like to live the high life

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

I don’t disagree with your point however there isn’t any point in noting it on the label if it isn’t going to have its own sub catagory in the census as it’s very obvious if a book is a newsstand, with some exceptions like dark horse Star Wars and a few others

On 5/30/2023 at 8:36 PM, Hot Nickels said:

I don’t disagree with your point however there isn’t any point in noting it on the label if it isn’t going to have its own sub catagory in the census as it’s very obvious if a book is a newsstand, with some exceptions like dark horse Star Wars and a few others

Noting on the label might impede some dishonest sellers from advertising pre-June 1979 and pre-Oct 1980 DC's as newsstands. Something I've seen a lot of the past few years, including on this forum, as they lie with their hawks of "it's a newsstand baby" or some similar tripe.

@greggy man, hoping you'll back me up on this.

Edited by MAR1979