• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

64 posts in this topic

Well, I have a neat test coming up. I sent in 2 very sharp books to PGX and they came back 9.6 and 9.0. If the 9.6 comes back a 9.6 from CGC I will be very happy as the value of the book jumps by about 35%. If the 9.0 comes back a 9.0 I would be just as happy but I think it will be a 9.2/9.4.

We shall see in some 50 days.

9.6 and higher is a tough call. I doubt you'll get a lower grade, unless something happened when you unslabbed the PGX. You'll likely get an upgrade on the lower graded book though. I predict it...we'll see.

I bought a Swamp Thing #9 CGG (old PGX) 9.6 White in 2003 when they didn't have a hard slab - only the inner well. I think (but am not positive - didn't record that info at the time) it was from an ebay seller whose CGG books/dealings have been discussed a lot on these boards.

Anyway, my point is that I put the ST through with a pre-screen submission this year and it came back CGC 9.6 OW-W blue label. Same grade, different page quality.

Hmmm.....It would be a shame if that was due to page degradation. That or PGX can't tell PQ from 893censored-thumb.gif! I brook open my Captain Marvel Adventures 51 PGX 8.0, read it and re-bagged and boarded. I ought to send it in to CGC for grading see, if I damaged it or that PGX really is grading more strict.

I can tell you from a consumer point of view that I only buy CGC books. To me they are a better investment and a more trusted and reliable service. I pay more for them and expect to get more out of them someday.

I just don't have consumer confidence in PGX. I seem to notice a lot of 9.9s in PGX that I believe would be 9.8s with CGC. They're a newer company trying to get a share of CGCs business, so they offer slightly cheaper rates, and possibly slightly better grades which would serve the purpose of swaying comic book sellers over to them.

This is just my opinion as a consumer and I'm sure I'm not alone as CGC graded books tend to sell for far more than PGX.

Pretty soon, more and more grading companies will pop up, just like they did with sports cards, and CGC will be the one that people trust most just like PSA is with sports cards.

I can tell you from a consumer point of view that I only buy CGC books. To me they are a better investment and a more trusted and reliable service. I pay more for them and expect to get more out of them someday.

I just don't have consumer confidence in PGX. I seem to notice a lot of 9.9s in PGX that I believe would be 9.8s with CGC. They're a newer company trying to get a share of CGCs business, so they offer slightly cheaper rates, and possibly slightly better grades which would serve the purpose of swaying comic book sellers over to them.

This is just my opinion as a consumer and I'm sure I'm not alone as CGC graded books tend to sell for far more than PGX.

Pretty soon, more and more grading companies will pop up, just like they did with sports cards, and CGC will be the one that people trust most just like PSA is with sports cards.

I'm curious...are you a comic collector or speculator? I ask because your post smacks of "I'm buying up CGC with hopes to flip them later to make some massive profit"

I'm curious...are you a comic collector or speculator? I ask because your post smacks of "I'm buying up CGC with hopes to flip them later to make some massive profit"

I think collectors are speculators for the most part. Id call true fans of just reading them and piling them up in stacks "readers."

i have only bought about 4 PGX graded books. 3 outof 5 were overgraded.One by a full point.Another was completely blown as it was miising a story page so they called a .5 poor a VF-!!!! . i do agree their price point and holders are better but I think CGC still has an edge in the grading department! I have bought 75 CGC books i have scored it this way:

42 times i agreed with CGC's grade

18 times i graded the book stricter

15 times CGC was stricter

the best part for me is that i have never gotten a CGC book that was off by more than 1/2 a point!!! CGC deserves to be the standard at this point in my opinion. Don't get me wrong i hope PGX succeeds and continues to improve, there is no better way to keep CGC honest than competition!

I'd tend to agree with Duneon. I do have stacks of ungraded books for reading and such. I think anyone who buys CGC or PGX 9.8 books isn't buying them to pop open and read. I collect them because I like them and hopefully they will maintain or appreciate in value down the road. I think the massive profit has already been made by the original owners who kept their books pristine for many years and submitted them, got 9.8s and sold them to people like me makepoint.gif

I do hope that by purchasing ultra-high grades from the most respected and best known company pays off for whoever sells my collection down he road, be it me or my family.

One other note on PGX books: Just to make a point with my earlier post about PGX 9.9s...go to eBay and do a PGX 9.9 search (in eBay stores). Now, look at the seller who seems to have a monopoly on those and how many BA books are in that group. You'll see many that have no CGC 9.9 on census in that group. This seller knows they would get a much higher premium if that book was in a CGC holder, yet they don't submit it to them, because it would most likely not come back a 9.9 from them. Hmmmmm. PGX just doesn't have my confidence yet, and I assume many others feel the same way, hence the lower realized sales for their graded books.

[

the best part for me is that i have never gotten a CGC book that was off by more than 1/2 a point!!!

i forgot to mention i do feel both companies overgrade on books under 5.0! i made a mistake before i said i never got a cgc book overgraded by more than 1/2 a point but i did get an FF#2 graded CGc 4.5(Q) that should have been called a 3.5(Q) --the more i look at books graded in 4.5 and under the more i tell myself i will only buy such books raw!

It seems to me that CGC grades fairly well in the 4.5 to 5.0 in the golden age category.I must admit that I can't back that up with too many personal examples but I have studied quite a few scans and the couple I have I'm VERY happy with.I must admit that I do BREAK sumo.gif golden age out of the slabs and slip the label into the back of the mylar.PGX, on the other hand is very soft on mid-grades.I sent a group of books to them when they were still CGG and everything that came back below 6.5 was overgraded by at least a full grade.Some people would have been happy but my intention in having the books slabbed in the first place was to avoid a lot of argument when trading at shows.I still found myself having to defend my books as they were all overgraded.CGG did OK on the higher grade stuff although they were still about a half grade over.I just price them accordingly when I list them.They were consistent,just not what I would call accurate.To me a VG+ should be a very presentable book,not too far from the fine category.The purpose of certification should be to aid those collectors AND dealers who don't have sharp grading skills and when overgrading occurs this objective is a failure.Both companies seem to be fairly consisitent in the 9.0 and higher grades,but how much trouble is it too agree that something is nearly flawless?I definitely feel most confident buying CGC books and have been very happy with their certification of 8.0 and higher.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Hi, honestly PGX Cases are not what they seem, uPVC attracts Acidic materials. Their inner sleeve is completly airtight and looks terrible. PGX label looks like it was cut with a childs Scissor. Their cases seems clear until you look in the light. PGX who? Their books sell like [embarrassing lack of self control]. It seems like they have multiple ebay accounts to give themselves hype. Daniel is the president, pre-grader, 1st grader, 2nd grader, senior grader, secretary, sealer, shipper, packer, Get it One Man Show, and I give them less than 1 year before they are put out of business, because people will find out he works himself. Can I ask how Many Giant Size X-MEN 9.8 PGX has graded, Ive seen numerous in last few months, all differnet ones by people in OR. Maybe I should go their to buy some books if they grade all 9.8's

Hi, honestly PGX Cases are not what they seem, uPVC attracts Acidic materials. Their inner sleeve is completly airtight and looks terrible. PGX label looks like it was cut with a childs Scissor. Their cases seems clear until you look in the light. PGX who? Their books sell like [embarrassing lack of self control]. It seems like they have multiple ebay accounts to give themselves hype. Daniel is the president, pre-grader, 1st grader, 2nd grader, senior grader, secretary, sealer, shipper, packer, Get it One Man Show, and I give them less than 1 year before they are put out of business, because people will find out he works himself. Can I ask how Many Giant Size X-MEN 9.8 PGX has graded, Ive seen numerous in last few months, all differnet ones by people in OR. Maybe I should go their to buy some books if they grade all 9.8's

27_laughing.gif but true.

I decided to give PGX a whirl and see what the cases were like. When the books came back 3 of the 10 books cases were not sealed. They were opened on the sides. I was not too happy about that.

if they were Golden Age books, it's because they only had the one size of holder, which is used for moderns or silver age, and is not as thick to accomodate a GA book, I too had sent them a GA book and when it came back, the sides were bowed out and it didn't look sealed, they have just now gotten the new GA size holders in (just yesterday) so that should solve that problem, I myself wonder what took them so long to get bigger size holders for GA or 100 pagers, etc.

but anyway,.. I intend on sending in a few more GA books to see what the new holders are like,... I've been happy with their service in every other way...and also the new inner wells are made of Barex not PVC, and have been for some time... I'm not a PGX defender nor a CGC one, I just want to give out the proper info so that collectors know they have more than one choice in the hobby...with all the shenanagans going on with CGC lately, what's the upside to sending my books to CGC anymore ?? trimming detection ?? book's full grade potential ?? SCS ???