• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Day After. The Brutal Betrayal of the fast flip.
3 3

129 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2023 at 9:55 AM, KirbyJack said:

I sold a Sal B Defenders page to a guy who posted a WTB here. His love of the subject matter seemed genuine. 
8 years later, I’m pleased to say that it’s still prominently displayed on his CAF with NFS status attached. 
He is the exact collector for this page.

(thumbsu

On 7/3/2023 at 10:35 AM, christosgage said:

You make allowances for the greats, especially if they're nice. One SDCC I bought a Cap page from Gene and Mrs. Colan but didn't have enough cash so I wrote a check (I think it was $250...this was early to mid '00s I believe.) They said when it cleared they'd mail the page to me. They...didn't. I called or emailed (again, forget which) and was told they had sent it. I asked about a tracking number so I could track it and Mrs.Colan said she wasn't sure where the receipt was but it should be there any day. I knew it wouldn't but chalked it up to the Thanks For Your Service to Comics Fund. (To be clear, I never got the impression any shenanigans were going on beyond the effects of old age I'll be dealing with myself soon enough.) And Gene had done a signing at my local store and did a great Dracula sketch for ten bucks which was a steal even then, so no complaints from me.

You have the right temperment for this situation. Age and health no doubt were contributing factors in what happenned. I am sorry you did not receive the page. Your forgiveness of losing out is sincerely touching. I know in my heart it was some kind of mix up. (thumbsu

Really enjoyable thread. I can't say that I have been on the extreme side of either scenario. I can't say I haven't expressed how much a piece would mean to own, but never coupled with any logic suggesting it should be sold for a steal of a price. I feel fortunate if showing your hand gives you a shot at something that isn't for sale - the price comes next (I have been on both sides here - prices in the FMV+ range and prices in the multiples of FMV range). I don't sell a lot and only get the random occasional inquiry for something listed NFS - if truly NFS I just say I am not looking to sell and that usually ends the conversation. 

On 7/2/2023 at 12:55 PM, KirbyJack said:

I sold a Sal B Defenders page to a guy who posted a WTB here. His love of the subject matter seemed genuine. 
8 years later, I’m pleased to say that it’s still prominently displayed on his CAF with NFS status attached. 
He is the exact collector for this page.

This sounds like me and a NFS Sal B Defenders page I inquired on and ultimately was able to buy. Still in my CAF gallery but only from a couple years ago. 

On 7/5/2023 at 7:51 AM, grapeape said:

You have the right temperment for this situation. Age and health no doubt were contributing factors in what happenned. I am sorry you did not receive the page. Your forgiveness of losing out is sincerely touching. I know in my heart it was some kind of mix up. (thumbsu

Much appreciated! Honestly, I've never given it a second thought. If I'd gotten the page it would have been one of the ones I sold a few years later to pay medical bills (but it wouldn't have brought that much at the time). It's just life. I'm just glad I got to meet Gene.