• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Day After. The Brutal Betrayal of the fast flip.
3 3

129 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2023 at 11:17 PM, babsrocks31 said:

Rolled, that's such garbage! For a print or poster, I get it, but for OG art (heck, even a monoprint), rolled should never be the way!

I got a nice Tom Mandrake page that primarily features Zatanna and Phantom Stranger. If I wasn't always looking for a Mandrake Zatanna, I'd have told you to snag it.

I'll post mine in the Morlock, you post yours!

He did mention that when they are sent flat, they break. If the Italian post office is anything like their cars, he may have a point. 

Mike Mayhew once sent me an unused Pulse cover of Spidey and the Vulture (later used as an interior pin-up), which he air-mailed to me (I'm in the UK) in an oversized jiffy bag with no stiffener to help keep things rigid.  It was an eBay win at a great price.  Thankfully, the artwork arrived intact!

Edited by The Voord

On 6/27/2023 at 12:22 AM, The Voord said:

Mike Mayhew once sent me an unused Pulse cover of Spidey and the Vulture (later used as an interior pin-up), which he air-mailed to me (I'm in the UK) in an oversized jiffy bag with no stiffener to help keep things rigid.  It was an eBay win at a great price.  Thankfully, the artwork arrived intact!

I never know how to feel when artists themselves do this.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, babsrocks31 said:

One time Gene Conan sent me a Silver Age DD page in a priority mail box....folded over to fit. 

On 6/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, comix4fun said:

One time Gene Conan sent me a Silver Age DD page in a priority mail box....folded over to fit. 

I find it especially strange when it's an expensive or classic artist... Like, shipping it that poorly suggests it has little value, and if it has little value why are you charging so much for it?

On 6/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, babsrocks31 said:

Angry. Fred Kida, or his son, folded up Spider-Man strips and sent them in a flimsy envelope. Love the artist but h8 the crimes against the strips.

I bet it was Mrs. Colan who packed it. Very sweet lady. 

On 6/28/2023 at 7:42 PM, grapeape said:

I bet it was Mrs. Colan who packed it. Very sweet lady. 

Likely was,  so much so that I didn’t even complain about it. They’d given fans so much over their lives. 

On a completely unrelated to comics note, I used to work at a hydraulics company and one of our customers ordered a custom made hose assembly for his steering system. A new shipper cut the hose into three pieces to get it to fit inside the shipping box and sent it to the customer.   :facepalm:

On 6/30/2023 at 1:13 PM, Black_Adam said:

On a completely unrelated to comics note, I used to work at a hydraulics company and one of our customers ordered a custom made hose assembly for his steering system. A new shipper cut the hose into three pieces to get it to fit inside the shipping box and sent it to the customer.   :facepalm:

I shouldn't laugh, but that's fricken funny. 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:41 AM, comix4fun said:

I shouldn't laugh, but that's fricken funny. 

We all laughed pretty hard when the customer told us what he'd received. The shipper was pretty embarrassed and never heard the end of it.

On 6/25/2023 at 12:47 PM, comix4fun said:

Wait, you mean you would NOT create an (ill-advised and short-lived ) business based entirely on data-mining everyone you meet in the hobby to find out what they have and what they want so you can hold that information for a ransom "finders fee"?  Here I thought I was alone in wanting to avoid becoming a remora leeching on the underbelly of collector's hopes and dreams. 

You may be joking about this but I have heard of a collector that will ask for a fee to let someone know where a piece they may want is….

On 6/30/2023 at 11:49 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:
On 6/25/2023 at 11:47 AM, comix4fun said:

Wait, you mean you would NOT create an (ill-advised and short-lived ) business based entirely on data-mining everyone you meet in the hobby to find out what they have and what they want so you can hold that information for a ransom "finders fee"?  Here I thought I was alone in wanting to avoid becoming a remora leeching on the underbelly of collector's hopes and dreams. 

You may be joking about this but I have heard of a collector that will ask for a fee to let someone know where a piece they may want is….

This at least would be more transparent than the many storied instances, some more brazen than others, especially in the late 90's of collectors using their knowledge of what people had, and what people wanted to pry the art out of the hands of the unknown owner by whatever mean necessary solely to flip.  It was more frequent pre-auction house, CAF, etc. Heck, some "dealers" used to circulate marked up lists of art for sale via subscriber mail lists featuring art they did not own that was sitting on Burkey, Moy, or Horvitz website.  Once they caught a fish, they'd then purchase the art from the actual dealer. Some of those guys are still operating like that today to some degree when they can pull it off. 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:49 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Oh no, not joking. People have done this for decades. Many in private, some as an actual business model. 
worse are the folks that data mine fellow collectors for what they have, want, and have or would pay for pieces then seek to acquire their wants purely to hold for ransom.  I’ve seen that over the years too. 
Everyone seems to bring their own personal issues to their collecting/business behavior.