• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The HA War Comics Showcase Auction
1 1

77 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2023 at 9:12 AM, buttock said:

I don't know that it's fair to call it label chasing when in many cases it's the only time a HG copy has been offered.  The next highest graded Marines in Battle 2 is a 7.0.  The last time a War 23 was offered in grade was over 10 years ago.  None of the HG Farrells have ever been offered in grade.  I could list a few dozen more examples.  

As I've pointed out, the upcoming War 11 in 7.5 is the ONLY copy ever publicly offered over 5.5, think about any other key you can say that about.  I really don't think there's another book you can make that claim for.  

I've been collecting 50s war comics aggressively for 15 years now and I've never had some of these opportunities.  So while it is chasing a HG copy, it's not the same as waiting for a 9.8 over a 9.6.  It's just simply finding a copy in grade period.  

Based on my father's collection I now own, which is full of superhero comics, SF, Westerns, Dell, etc. of the late 1940s and early 1950s, I just don't think War Comics were that popular a genre.  Only a small portion of the collection are real War comics - an Our Army at War 1, GI Joes, etc. - and some lighter military themed GGA titles. My guess is that by the time the Korean War rolled around that American's were largely sick of war.  Eisenhower after all ran and won on the platform of getting the U.S. out of Korea.  I suspect that kids largely weren't reading or saving those comics in the same number they did other genres which might have been more amenable to repeat reading. That may explain why War Comics are rarer in the Atomic Age than other types. 

On 5/19/2023 at 10:13 AM, sfcityduck said:

Honestly, I feel safer in SF than I did in Downtown LA the other weekday.  Felt more deserted than SF and has a homeless problem like SF.  Both SF and LA have seen better days and will again.  Of course I'm talking about the downtowns, the nice neighborhoods haven't changed at all.  Interestingly, I was on vacation in London, Porto, and Madrid in March.  All three cities were much better off than any American cities.  I'm talking clean, busy, and no different than they ever were.  Probably due to the fact that all three countries have extensive medical and financial safety nets that helps prevent the large populations of homeless folks impacted by mental illness and drugs that we see in the U.S. But, their comic book stores suck.  Link?  I think so. Folks there don't have the same quantity of excess cash and embrace of frivolity in acquisitions that we do.

I was “thumb in cheek” about SF. LA and just about any other large city are about the same. Big populations breed more crime and homelessness. I go almost any where I want. I don’t live in fear. But now, like any other time, I keep very vigilant.

And, yeah, comic book stores suk down here for vintage books as well…:sorry:

Back on topic. Yeah some still prices on War books especially in the “higher” grades. @buttock is right. Upper mid grade is often the highest you are lucky enough to get on a lot of these. Other than maybe Salidas, there are very few high grade copies of a lot of these.

I am a believer that on key issues, and rarer titles, big prices on the mid and HG copies, prop up lower grade prices as well. Like a lot of GA, for every well heeled HG buyer, there is a thousand buyers for more affordable lower grade copies.

I have always been a “collector of opportunity”. I have always bought whatever copy I could find at the moment and was happy to do so. At this point, I have searched out better copies of my favorites. Problem is, many, sadly, have risen out of my comfort zone. Nice to know I at least have any copy of a lot of these.

Still fun to watch the madness though…

On 5/18/2023 at 11:46 PM, adamstrange said:

DC prices were solid, better than I expected.

Agree, and it would be interesting to see what the DC character driven books do should be a follow-up to this auction with a focus on late 50s and early 60s war books. Interestingly, the “Korean War” era books aren’t Golden Age war books to me and I’m happy to see this time period of the genre getting a focused auction. 

On 5/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, buttock said:

I've been collecting 50s war comics aggressively for 15 years now

Newb :baiting:

On 5/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, october said:

That X collection was pretty great. I snagged a few, but I think they are all gone except for this one. 

image.jpeg

Off-topic, but do copies of Battlefront #15 exist without recessed staples? Every copy I've seen, high-grade or low-, has one or both pretty well recessed.

On 5/19/2023 at 8:37 PM, buttock said:

Passively for another 15 years? (shrug)

Welcome Mildly Serious Collector ^^

On 5/19/2023 at 9:52 AM, buttock said:

This was maybe the best deal in the auction.  That cover is so great in person.  

That Battle Action #15 is a great looking copy, but I'm really impressed by the coloring of this cover.  It's next-level quality in a world of mostly mediocre color work at the time.

Edited by *paull*

On 5/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, *paull* said:

That Battle Action #15 is a great looking copy, but I'm really impressed by the coloring of this cover.  It's next-level quality in a world of mostly mediocre color work at the time.

It's been said many times on here that Heath would color his own covers on occasion.  This is likely one of those. 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:52 PM, buttock said:

It's been said many times on here that Heath would color his own covers on occasion.  This is likely one of those. 

Super work.  I need to look up other covers he colored himself.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:53 PM, *paull* said:

Super work.  I need to look up other covers he colored himself.

Unfortunately there's not a list.  But if it really stands out, it's worth considering.  

Have war comics historically been slept on in the hobby or have they been a close third to costumed heroes and horror with respect to interest? The prices realized at this auction surprised me, but I have not been collecting comics for that long.

Edited by L'Angelo Misterioso

On 5/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

Based on my father's collection I now own, which is full of superhero comics, SF, Westerns, Dell, etc. of the late 1940s and early 1950s, I just don't think War Comics were that popular a genre.  Only a small portion of the collection are real War comics - an Our Army at War 1, GI Joes, etc. - and some lighter military themed GGA titles. My guess is that by the time the Korean War rolled around that American's were largely sick of war.  Eisenhower after all ran and won on the platform of getting the U.S. out of Korea.  I suspect that kids largely weren't reading or saving those comics in the same number they did other genres which might have been more amenable to repeat reading. That may explain why War Comics are rarer in the Atomic Age than other types. 

But are they actually rare, or do they just not get slabbed as often? We've seen other books that appeared to be rare until prices took off, and then census numbers skyrocketed, too.

On 5/20/2023 at 3:48 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

Have war comics historically been slept on in the hobby or have they been a close third to costumed heroes and horror with respect to interest? The prices realized at this auction surprised me, but I have not been collecting comics for that long.

If I am lucky, this brief burst of intemperance will be quickly forgotten, and the hobby will return to ignoring comics without superheroes in tights.

Edited by adamstrange