• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors Comics - How do they make money?
2 2

63 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Not sure what you mean by entrapment. Almost everything in their auction is CGC graded.

Yes, it was in past.  I bought few raw books from the same sellers but nearly all of them were overgraded.  The sellers trapped me few times so I decided not to purchase their books anymore.

I think they are trying to make it up and bring relationships back.  No thanks.

Has anyone has any luck getting in touch with them? I had a couple of questions a couple of months ago that I sent using their links at the bottom and I never got a response. I just tried again but will probably give up if I dont get a response this time around.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:29 AM, JollyComics said:

Yes, it was in past.  I bought few raw books from the same sellers but nearly all of them were overgraded.  The sellers trapped me few times so I decided not to purchase their books anymore.

I think they are trying to make it up and bring relationships back.  No thanks.

I see. Sorry that happened to you. 

On 8/15/2023 at 11:41 AM, Stefan_W said:

Has anyone has any luck getting in touch with them? I had a couple of questions a couple of months ago that I sent using their links at the bottom and I never got a response. I just tried again but will probably give up if I dont get a response this time around.

Email them directly. 

On 8/16/2023 at 12:26 AM, Larryw7 said:

Isn't Mark Wilson involved with them?

On 8/16/2023 at 4:52 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

doh!

I cringed when I read your post. After a quick visit to Google, I see that Collectors Comics is run by Thomas and David Wilson - Mark's sons.

I'm assuming this is the same guy. I'm not a big fan of one of his son's youtube channels, but I'm not about to judge someone based on how closely related they are to a possible crook. I'd hate to be judged by my closest relatives instead of by my own actions. Unless I hear that the sons are dirtbags, I wish them the best of luck with collectors comics. I've used them before and was happy with my winnings, but I've yet to sell some of the dreck I've listed there.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Flanders82

From watching a few of the auctions, it seemed like some went a bit below what I would call "fair price" while others went at or above.  So pretty much like every other auction.  I was tripped up by the countdown timer on each of the books because when as I scrolled down, I didn't realize the countdown timer for each auction was on top of the comic, not the timer on the bottom.  So I would see an auction say ended but a timer I thought was for that comic was still ticking away. lol.  Maybe throw some boundaries around the comics and associated timers would be my only suggestion thus far.  Well, that and I wish they would make use of a hover-over zoom on their main images on the auction pages.  That way I don't have to click the comic which opens another tab where I can see the comic a bit closer.

Edited by Telegan

I bid on dozens of books in the latest auction, but only won one book, only book that actually went for around the 90 day gpa average. A couple things, the no fee thing is mostly true (assume it is for sellers) but there was a 3.5% buyer premium added unless I opted to send him PayPal directly using “friends and family”. I didn’t really care about the 3.5%, just felt odd to me that a legit business was asking me to PayPal them directly using friends and family on the checkout page, so I just paid normally and took the fee.

The website is incredibly buggy. Constantly signed me out, often wouldn’t even let me sign in on mobile, and for the love of god anytime you load any page it throws a pop up for a giveaway. Searching, sorting, filtering all suffer tremendously as well but that pop up was by far the most annoying thing.

So when you consider all of that I’m not surprised he’s not charging seller fees, I’m more surprised the prices he’s hitting on auctions. There were a number of books I was bidding on that were in identical grade as the CL auction that ended a week ago that all went higher than CL’s hammer price. It did seem to me though that books that were sub 1k all were doing very well, anything over that and it was coming close to last GPA but not usually getting there and if it did barely. That’s just my anecdotal take from the 50 or so books I was tracking or bidding on over the last few days. But I do think the YT and social media carried some books, and I do think like whatnot there are people that want to buy a book from the person they watch on YouTube.  Which is exactly why I probably will stay away altogether in the future. 

Generally speaking I think it’s a good plan to hook sellers with no fees. Buyers will come if you get the sellers but you have to fix this website. But I can’t see myself wanting to fight with people who just want to buy a book from this site because they like his YT channel. 

On 8/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, wiparker824 said:

I bid on dozens of books in the latest auction, but only won one book, only book that actually went for around the 90 day gpa average. A couple things, the no fee thing is mostly true (assume it is for sellers) but there was a 3.5% buyer premium added unless I opted to send him PayPal directly using “friends and family”. I didn’t really care about the 3.5%, just felt odd to me that a legit business was asking me to PayPal them directly using friends and family on the checkout page, so I just paid normally and took the fee.

The website is incredibly buggy. Constantly signed me out, often wouldn’t even let me sign in on mobile, and for the love of god anytime you load any page it throws a pop up for a giveaway. Searching, sorting, filtering all suffer tremendously as well but that pop up was by far the most annoying thing.

So when you consider all of that I’m not surprised he’s not charging seller fees, I’m more surprised the prices he’s hitting on auctions. There were a number of books I was bidding on that were in identical grade as the CL auction that ended a week ago that all went higher than CL’s hammer price. It did seem to me though that books that were sub 1k all were doing very well, anything over that and it was coming close to last GPA but not usually getting there and if it did barely. That’s just my anecdotal take from the 50 or so books I was tracking or bidding on over the last few days. But I do think the YT and social media carried some books, and I do think like whatnot there are people that want to buy a book from the person they watch on YouTube.  Which is exactly why I probably will stay away altogether in the future. 

Generally speaking I think it’s a good plan to hook sellers with no fees. Buyers will come if you get the sellers but you have to fix this website. But I can’t see myself wanting to fight with people who just want to buy a book from this site because they like his YT channel. 

I was on my desktop and didn't really have any issues with being logged out, but yes... that ad for the giveaway was a bit annoying.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:58 AM, wiparker824 said:

The fee is probably because Paypal charges a fee for G&S transactions but no fee for F&F. Since there is no commission that cost would have to be eaten by Collector's Comics which would make absolutely no sense. There is a world of difference between not making any money and losing money. 

I had 3 books in this just closed auction, as a trial. Nothing worth more than $150-$200.

The first ended where I thought it would, almost to the dollar.

The second book ended at 40% of where i expected. Puke.

the third book ended at about 75% of what I expected. Blah.

All in all I would consider the experiment a failure but won't rule out sending books in the future if the site gets more traction.

I was very disappointed with last month's Clink results,  these for the most part met or exceeded my hopes on finishing bid.  For example my X-Men #50 in 5.0 ended at $210, one dollar less than an X-Men #50 in 5.5 ended for on on Clink. An X-Men #7 I had in 4.5 sold for $215.  The last Clink sale of a 4.0 went for $153.    Again these results could be a one time anomaly. I was very happy with the raw books.Again,  if the buyers do pay I will be happy. 

That contest book though was super annoying.

On 8/21/2023 at 12:35 PM, Stefan_W said:

The fee is probably because Paypal charges a fee for G&S transactions but no fee for F&F. Since there is no commission that cost would have to be eaten by Collector's Comics which would make absolutely no sense. There is a world of difference between not making any money and losing money. 

I get it, but it’s also against PayPal’s user agreement to abuse the F&F like that, and why you don’t see most businesses ask you to send them money on F&F anymore.