• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumpy lumpy dented cover ...... how to grade that!
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Well first of all I understand that many cover defects can be removed by pressing. But almost exclusively I collect silver age DC comics, and most are common and non key. So unless I want to invest my own time and money to buy my own press, paying others to do so on a non key raw never to be graded comic doesn't make a lot of financial sense.

But with all that said, that is not why I am asking this question. The question is simply how to grade a bumpy lumpy dented cover as it is, not how it could be if cleaned and pressed? And I'm not talking about water damage warping or folds and creases, just mishandling, opening the cover roughly, placing or even dropping objects on the book ....... how ever books get that way after 50 to 60 years of comic abuse. Thanks

Your best bet is to post in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ section.

Show/post clear pics of the book, front cover, back cover, inside front and back cover including the splash page, centerfold,  zoom on the "lumpy, bumpy" parts of the cover as long as the pics are clear.

If it's just bumpy, I think it could still earn an 8.0 or so.  But if it's progressed to bumpy lumpy, then I can't see much more than a 6.0, and in your case of a bumpy lumpy dented cover... well... I can't whitewash it--that's probably going to be less than a 5.0.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Your best bet is to post in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ section.

Show/post clear pics of the book, front cover, back cover, inside front and back cover including the splash page, centerfold,  zoom on the "lumpy, bumpy" parts of the cover as long as the pics are clear.

I appreciate the advice, but my question wasn't about a particular book, just all books in general that have a condition as I mentioned. I'm just trying to get a feel how other folks tackle this. I have some where otherwise they are a pretty decent book, but the cover just isn't smooth and looks abused and was wondering how others grade that sort of condition.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:04 PM, Mokiguy said:

I appreciate the advice, but my question wasn't about a particular book, just all books in general that have a condition as I mentioned. I'm just trying to get a feel how other folks tackle this. I have some where otherwise they are a pretty decent book, but the cover just isn't smooth and looks abused and was wondering how others grade that sort of condition.

It is really impossible to evaluate without seeing examples. The books are graded in totality and the overall condition and extent of the bumps and lumps have to be considered. 

If you post some examples in the spare a grade section, some very good graders can talk through how they evaluate the book. 

On 5/24/2023 at 9:04 PM, Mokiguy said:

While a specific example is always best, I think I understand what you are asking overall. An older book riddled with bumps and dings would probably fall in the 2.0-4.0 range depending on severity and if these were the only issues. I would think 4.0 would be best case scenario if not to many additional creases or flaws were present. Usually though such a book has other flaws too and the bumpiness is the only thing that can improve. Maybe that results in a 0.5-1.0 bump.

There have been cases though of dented books (with no colour breaking creases) that have been previously grade in the Fine range and gotten pressed all the way up to the 9's. So it really does depend on situation. A lot

Edited by comicginger1789

:bump:

On 5/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, Mokiguy said:

Overstreet comic book grading definitions & terms @ Collectibles Shop (tripod.com)

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

Just on cover flatness alone, without taking any other defects (or lack of defects) into consideration.

GD/VG 3.0 - Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. 

VG 4.0 -  Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples.

VG/FN 5.0 - Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples.

FN 6.0 - An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. 

FN/VF 7.0 - An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal.  Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases.

VF 8.0 -  Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. 

VF/NM 9.0 - Cover is almost flat with almost imperceptible wear.

NM- 9.2 - GM 10.0 -  Cover is flat with no surface wear. 

Unfortunately there are a lot of Gray areas in grading, just looking at the above, you need to know the definition of words like...almost, imperceptible, relatively, minimal, minute, moderate, minor, significant, above average, how those words are viewed/defined varies from person to person, none of these words have a definite "Black and White" meaning especially when used to describe comic book condition.

So sure, I was recommended to post a comment in the "Brother can you spare a grade" about this dents bumpy lumpy conditions ........ and I did .......................... and I got two comments, and neither addressed the bumpy lumpy dented condition. Don't get me wrong, a hearty thank you to the two that at least commented on that comic.. But it appears to me that this condition is difficult to assess for many, whether here where I asked about it generally, or there where I posted a lot of pictures and used a specific comic. I imagine that I will have to come to my own conclusion about how I address this in the future. But thanks, really thanks, to all the chimed in.