• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Grade My - Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I has a small tear on the right hand edge front cover, but I am more interested in how the vertical lines on the front and back cover may effect the grade or if they are manufacturing defects. I have 2 copies and both seem to have these same lines on both the front and back covers that go the full length of the book. They appear flat and not like creases.

IMG_6295.JPEG

IMG_6309.JPEG

IMG_6326.JPEG

IMG_6328.JPEG

IMG_6329.JPEG

IMG_6333.JPEG

IMG_6334.JPEG

They look like manufacturing defects which would probably knock it down to a 9 or 9.2 (from my own experience) .. the tear is gonna knock it down, obviously, even more..my guess is 7 to 8 depending on the grader

Edited by Ed Hanes

i can't really tell if it's a small tear perpendicular to the edge & some sort of bend or crease parallel to the edge, or it's all a tear. Length here matters. How much of a tear is there?

On 5/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, scburdet said:

i can't really tell if it's a small tear perpendicular to the edge & some sort of bend or crease parallel to the edge, or it's all a tear. Length here matters. How much of a tear is there?

The tear is very small and runs perpendicular to the edge and then a color breaking crease that runs down from there.

Ok, I think the crease is worse than the tear, so that probably sets the ceiling. I think 9.0 is the allowable. I do think CGC tends to ramp up the harshness as books get newer, so I can se this coming in lower than allowable. 8.5/9.0. I'd avoid sending this for grading b/c there's not enough value if it gets handled by a tough grader

Polybag creases.

Book's an 8.0/8.5. Pressing them out probably won't matter much because of the tear and crease.

Thanks for posting.