• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice surprise - Detective #473
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2023 at 6:40 AM, 1950's war comics said:

neat find !! 

when i was 16 i signed all my comics i bought that year on the first page (so my brother couldn't say they were his ) , so there are a 100 so comics with my signature on them for some lucky guy some day lol 

The first page? I was far more fearful of sibling theft and wrote my first name right across the cover to protect my comics (I was 7 years old at the time). So if anyone finds any comics with "Sean" on the cover, they're mine. :sumo:

Edited by Black_Adam

On 5/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Shadow said:

So, I bought this on a whim at the Motor City Comic Con a week ago. Thought it would be a NM 9.2 but the crease at bottom corner has a bit of color break (and I wasn't wearing my readers at that moment - note to my older self...lol) I like Roger's brief run on Detective as they tie into when I started collecting around 1978. 

This morning I opened it up to find two signatures inside. I believe they are Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin's. Pretty cool! Since not witnessed, no idea if they add to value? But I like it no matter what. 

DET473.jpg

DET473 Signatures.jpg

The “Austin” sig looks pretty legit. Haven’t seen Rogers’ before. Good find in any case

I bought some Punisher limiteds and found Zeck signatures on the inside of two of them - it's always fun to find those. As far as value, I've seen vintage Stan Lee and Jack Kirby sigs go for a premium - anyone else, not sure. I think signed inside pages are generally a sure sign its a vintage signature (pre-90s?) so I think they are cool and I'd pay a little premium for them if I was a signature collector.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:11 PM, Black_Adam said:

The first page? I was far more fearful of sibling theft and wrote my first name right across the cover to protect my comics (I was 7 years old at the time). So if anyone finds any comics with "Sean" on the cover, they're mine. :sumo:

I've posted this elsewhere recently, but I just can't help myself - from the Timmy and Mark Pedigree collection:

image.thumb.jpeg.7d5315b101609b0e68f2d8ce6cdf697c.jpeg

I've posted this before, many years ago I bought this book and after reading the issue (shockingly reading books I buy) found this receipt at the last page of the story. Obviously used as a book mark but the original owner never read the letters page. Always curious what the purchaser bought for the 24 cents?

Bright side, with the receipt I can at least take off 15 cents as I didn't get the receipt of the $25? Buying off Lone Star to get that removed for the price realized if I ever sell and calculate the tax I have to pay 🤪

Screenshot_20230603-145021.thumb.png.d29dc998868371ba4c90de0c80098f0d.png

Screenshot_20230603-145008.thumb.png.e60523921cced1481069963e2aef71bd.png

On 5/29/2023 at 9:12 AM, Shadow said:

So, I bought this on a whim at the Motor City Comic Con a week ago. Thought it would be a NM 9.2 but the crease at bottom corner has a bit of color break (and I wasn't wearing my readers at that moment - note to my older self...lol) I like Roger's brief run on Detective as they tie into when I started collecting around 1978. 

This morning I opened it up to find two signatures inside. I believe they are Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin's. Pretty cool! Since not witnessed, no idea if they add to value? But I like it no matter what. 

DET473.jpg

DET473 Signatures.jpg

There was a collection purchased recently by a Michigan dealer that had a ton of Marshall Rogers sigs and a  handful got sent in to a verification company and all came back 100% legit. If you know what booth it came from I can probably tell you if it came from that collection. 

Edited by SkOw

On 6/4/2023 at 10:27 PM, SkOw said:

There was a collection purchased recently by a Michigan dealer that had a ton of Marshall Rogers sigs and a  handful got sent in to a verification company and all came back 100% legit. If you know what booth it came from I can probably tell you if it came from that collection. 

Langes 

On 6/4/2023 at 10:27 PM, SkOw said: