• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PBA galleries auctioneers new collection 40000+ Every DC
9 9

328 posts in this topic

Here's a peek inside of the huge auction catalogue for the Batman sale (over 200 pages!). My goal in creating this catalogue was to capture as much data, folklore, legend, and obscure facts about Batman as possible, culled from dozens of sources, so that Batman fans will have a handy compendium of info that might otherwise be difficult to obtain. When the DC Universe Collection has been sold off, the dozen or so catalogues will be a monument to Ian Levine's collecting passion. These are the sort of catalogues I always wished other auctioneers would produce. Instead, I'm doing it myself.

The limited hardcover version of the catalogue is already sold out at $200 a pop, and the softcovers are disappearing fast. I'm glad that folks seem to enjoy these catalogues, as it's a huge effort to create them!

batman1.png

batman4.png

batman5.png

batman6.png

batman7.png

batman8.png

batman9.png

On 11/10/2023 at 12:12 PM, circumstances said:

how are the results so far?

am i missing the thread where the Bats and Tecs are being discussed?

Check out the pre-Robin Tec thread. A few discussions regarding the Bat and Tec books.

I'm wondering if anyone know what the final bid was for the Flash Comics #1 Ashcan? I saw that it didn't meet reserve. Thanks!

On 11/10/2023 at 5:15 PM, Dark Knight said:

Check out the pre-Robin Tec thread. A few discussions regarding the Bat and Tec books.

I'm wondering if anyone know what the final bid was for the Flash Comics #1 Ashcan? I saw that it didn't meet reserve. Thanks!

Thanks.

Why didnt I think to look there? Lol

On 11/10/2023 at 3:43 PM, circumstances said:
On 11/10/2023 at 2:15 PM, Dark Knight said:

Thanks.

Why didnt I think to look there? Lol

Because maybe it is the very last lot of the auction lol, which I think is quite unusual given that is one of the more important and high valued books in that auction.  It should be given priority and should've been sold at one of the earlier lots.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:24 PM, Dark Knight said:

Because maybe it is the very last lot of the auction lol, which I think is quite unusual given that is one of the more important and high valued books in that auction.  It should be given priority and should've been sold at one of the earlier lots.

I meant why didn't I look in the pre robin tec thread for any convo about the start of the PBA auction!

On 7/9/2023 at 3:43 AM, Ian_Levine said:

So by the year of 2004, I had whittled the list down to just twelve comics missing, before the collection could be officially declared to be complete. All of the comic dealers around the world knew of my quest. I took a big colour advert in some of the main comic trade magazines, and one by one I started to get the list down to the very last two, which were New Adventure Comics numbers 26 and 27, which I guess would make them the rarest of all of the DC comics. After so much publicity, I soon found a number 27 which just left number 26 to locate. Finally word of my quest resulted in someone coming forward at last. In the hot summer of 2004, Harley Yee collected this last comic for me, from that year’s San Diego Comic Con, and after that convention, he came back to London, bringing my last treasured prize with him.

Ian, I think your details are a little fuzzy.  "Someone coming forward at last" with the New Adventure 26 is not exactly how it went down.  I located the book and told you about where it was in February 2005.  You asked Harley to broker it for you and he finally secured the book for you in mid-2005, not 2004. 

All these years later, I am still very proud of the fact that I located the last book for your incredible collection.  :acclaim: