• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most 9.8s
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I'm sure this question got asked somewhere and/or there's an easy way to look up this information, but I can't figure it out atm, so I thought I'd just ask if there was a way to know which books have received the highest number of 9.8 grades, period?

Like, I think I may have read somewhere that Spider-Man 300 was the book that has been graded the most, but I'm wondering specifically about the books with the most graded 9.8 copies recorded. 

Like is there a list somewhere?

Thanks! 

On 6/1/2023 at 4:59 PM, Axelrod said:

I'm sure this question got asked somewhere and/or there's an easy way to look up this information, but I can't figure it out atm, so I thought I'd just ask if there was a way to know which books have received the highest number of 9.8 grades, period?

Like, I think I may have read somewhere that Spider-Man 300 was the book that has been graded the most, but I'm wondering specifically about the books with the most graded 9.8 copies recorded. 

Like is there a list somewhere?

Thanks! 

Spawn 1 (1992).  As graded comics go there are almost as many in 9.8 or higher as there are grains of sand on the world's beaches. It also has the most pre2000 9.9's and 10's . 

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/

Book Total
Submissions
CGC
CGC
CGC
Spawn 1 (1992, Image Comics)
                1st appearance of Spawn (Al Simmons). 2nd Image "i" logo. Pull-out Spawn poster
30,797 6 77 14970
Edited by MAR1979

On 6/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, Panda2 said:

Cool site- didn't know it was out there.  I didn't see a way to sort by the fewest number in the census - does anyone know how to do that?

Cheers

What do you mean by 'fewest number in the census"?

The fewest is zero, and it's shared by thousands of books. lol

Edited by valiantman

On 6/2/2023 at 10:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 6/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, valiantman said:

What do you mean by 'fewest number in the census"?

The fewest is zero, and it's shared by thousands of books. lol

Even if we could sort out the 0s, there's got to be tons of 1s out there.

90,642 books graded only once.

That either means the books are worthless or "SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED!" (but probably both). :whistle:

Edited by valiantman

On 6/2/2023 at 11:53 AM, valiantman said:

90,642 books graded only once.

That either means the books are worthless or "SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED!" (but probably both). :whistle:

How do you do the search to determine books that have only been graded once?

On 6/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, Axelrod said:

How do you do the search to determine books that have only been graded once?

I have been building the database behind the website for 20 years. I query the database directly.

I was more interested in knowing which GA/SA titles have very few floating around in the census - there was a thread a while back about books with fewer than 50 in the census - and I seem to enjoy oddball books, so was just wondering if you could look at the other end of the spectrum.

Cheers

On 6/1/2023 at 5:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Spawn 1 (1992).  As graded comics go there are almost as many in 9.8 or higher as there are grains of sand on the world's beaches. It also has the most 9.9's and 10's . 

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/

Book Total
Submissions
CGC
CGC
CGC
Spawn 1 (1992, Image Comics)
                1st appearance of Spawn (Al Simmons). 2nd Image "i" logo. Pull-out Spawn poster
30,797 6 77 14970

Just looking at the "10" graded books is fascinating.  Apparently there's a whole thing with "Pure Silver Foil" editions of books that basically all get graded "10".  

I mean, Amazing Spider-Man 1 Pure Silver Foil (2023) has 745 graded copies in the census and 741 of them are "10"s.  And Incredible Hulk 1 Pure Silver Foil (2019) has 475 copies and 417 are "10"s.  That must have been some kind of pre-arrangement with CGC, yes?  

Looks like the book with the most "10" CGC grades that might have been from actual customers sending the book in could be Batman: Damned 1 (2018) and there are 379 CGC "10" graded copies of that out there, out of 3557 total graded.  And the "variant" cover for that book also has an absurdly high number of "10" grades, 319 out of 2452.  

Something probably going on there as well.

On 6/2/2023 at 2:52 PM, Axelrod said:

745 graded copies in the census and 741 of them are "10"s.

Wow.  That's bizarre.

That's like going on spring break in heaven.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, Axe Elf said:
On 6/2/2023 at 2:52 PM, Axelrod said:

745 graded copies in the census and 741 of them are "10"s.

Wow.  That's bizarre.

That's like going on spring break in heaven.

You guys know these are just sheets of silver and not comics, right? They should be perfect.

On 6/2/2023 at 7:46 PM, Lazyboy said:

You guys know these are just sheets of silver and not comics, right? They should be perfect.

I did not know this!

Seems silly that it's not an actual comic book, but is being graded like one.  

On 6/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, Lazyboy said:

Nope, I pretty much know nothing about comics that aren't Warrens.

But that does make a lot more sense.

Now the part that doesn't make sense is why are they being discussed in a thread about highly-graded comics...

On 6/2/2023 at 1:41 PM, Panda2 said:

I was more interested in knowing which GA/SA titles have very few floating around in the census - there was a thread a while back about books with fewer than 50 in the census - and I seem to enjoy oddball books, so was just wondering if you could look at the other end of the spectrum.

Cheers

About 37,000 different comics dated 1938 to 1959. Over 16,000 of those have between 1 and 3 CGC graded copies (around 44%).

About 16,000 different comics dated 1960 to 1969. Nearly 7,000 of those have between 1 and 3 CGC graded copies (around 41%).

Edited by valiantman

On 6/2/2023 at 7:49 PM, Axelrod said:

I did not know this!

Seems silly that it's not an actual comic book, but is being graded like one.  

Yeah I recently found this out. Even if they are 10's it doesn't interested me as they are not actual comics. You're buying a silver foil front cover of the old comic. Nothing else.