• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Cover max grade
4 4

19 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 6:04 AM, ImAWookie said:

How much does a detached cover decrease the grade by?

Condition grading does not work this way; specific blemishes/defects do not carry fixed/invariant grade or point deductions.  For example, a stripped-logo remaindered comic with an attached cover should grade out at 0.5 PR.  That same copy with a completely detached cover would also grade out at 0.5 PR.  Condition grading works like this: the more perfect/pristine the book, the greater the downgrade for any specific blemish or defect.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:04 AM, ImAWookie said:

the cover is detached but the comic is in pretty good condition other than that.

Is the "pretty good" otherwise condition of your book better than, worse than, or about the same as these two examples?

CD-20x1.thumb.jpg.fd0edcbfc2ca7c009e8ab35390b88b75.jpg 20-2.jpg.c2d38fc2bf47e36eac0bd9cceab95e46.jpg

Edited by zzutak

On 6/2/2023 at 9:45 AM, grendelbo said:

4.0 Universal will be rare and probably reserved for GA. Typically you'd be looking at 3.0-3.5. If your book is in otherwise good shape you could receive a higher Qualified grade.

yes... @grendelbo is right :highfive:

the 5.0 is for golden age max grade

for anything outside golden age generally lower

Edited by Funnybooks

So this is the cover. As far as I'm aware everything in the comic is in good condition except the cover is completely detached.

The person I bought it from says the cover is completely detached and nearly split so yeah. I'm not bothered if it's a low grade just excited to own it but would like to know what the ceiling is.

c2faaeb8-8490-492a-ae27-9f41427134e0.jpg

On 6/2/2023 at 7:10 AM, ImAWookie said:

So this is the cover. As far as I'm aware everything in the comic is in good condition except ... the cover is completely detached and nearly split.

The "nearly split" part may be more critical than the "completely detached" part.  Put me in the 1.5 FR/GD camp.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:07 AM, rjpb said:

Nearly split is going to drop the grade harder than detached. You are looking at 1.5/1.8 

It's also a pence copy, produced for the U.K.

It presents reasonably well though. 

based on the wraps alone, likely 1.8

On 6/2/2023 at 9:19 AM, Funnybooks said:

based on the wraps alone, likely 1.8

Yeah, 1.8 tops if detached and split. Maybe a grade lower. But it'll present nice.

Let me start by saying...Congrats on your acquisition, Enjoy The Book!!!  :applause: (thumbsu :banana:

As already mentioned, a book is graded on it's entirety, not just one defect, there are a lot of gray areas in grading and nothing is etched in stone or written in black and white on how much a lone defect will affect the grade of a book, it is usually left to the discretion/perception of the grader along with the accumulation of any other defects.

If the book pictured had an attached cover without spine splits it would grade in the VG 4.0 range, with a completely detached cover or severe spine split the grade will drop from there.

If this book as it sits now has a completely split cover, the book, IMO, will probably grade at a FR/GD 1.5.

VG 4.0 - Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

GD/VG 3.0 - Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. be present. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

GD 2.0 - Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. May have up to a 2" spine split. Centerfold may be loose or detached.

FR/GD 1.5 - Cover shows considerable wear and may be detached.  May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book. Centerfold may be loose or detached.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:42 PM, rjpb said:

Advice to those new to grading, rigid interpretation of Overstreet guidelines as to what is the maximum grade individual flaws are allowed in will result in disappointment and confusion with books graded by CGC, CBCS and pretty much every major dealer in the hobby (not to mention just about everyone else). As marvelmaniac mentions, it is the accumulation of defects that contribute grade perception, not just acceptable flaws for a given grade, thus you will find books with fully detached centerfolds grading at 4.0 and above, depending on how the rest of the book looks, and books with detached covers grading at 3.0 and above. Conversely just because all the flaws in a book are acceptable at a given grade, does not mean the book achieves that grade, as the cumulative defects could knock it far below a grade in which any one flaw is acceptable. 

I just happened to see this on Instagram and it reminded me of this thread. Looking at what marvelmaniac posted and what you say here, is this an appropriate grade? I only have the front cover pic. Label notes are - small amount of dried glue on cover, 1 small piece of tape on interior cover, 2 center wraps detached. 

With the cumulative flaws and 2 center wraps detached, grade would seem high even though it may present as a 4.0 at a glance. 

Grader Notes
chip out bottom of spine
chip out top of spine
detached 2 centerfold
dried glue interior spine
heavy, multiple chews multiple wrap
indent right bottom of front cover
small split center of spine
small, multiple piece out interior
very small tape staple

Red Dragon 7.jpg

On 6/4/2023 at 12:38 PM, BriD. said:

I just happened to see this on Instagram and it reminded me of this thread. Looking at what marvelmaniac posted and what you say here, is this an appropriate grade? I only have the front cover pic. Label notes are - small amount of dried glue on cover, 1 small piece of tape on interior cover, 2 center wraps detached. 

With the cumulative flaws and 2 center wraps detached, grade would seem high even though it may present as a 4.0 at a glance. 

Grader Notes
chip out bottom of spine
chip out top of spine
detached 2 centerfold
dried glue interior spine
heavy, multiple chews multiple wrap
indent right bottom of front cover
small split center of spine
small, multiple piece out interior
very small tape staple

Red Dragon 7.jpg

With such a splendid-looking cover and most flaws being within the interior of the comic, I feel the grade is about right. Especially if CGC is still operating on the philosophy of giving a book the highest possible grade for it's condition. GA and a classic cover bump helps too. 2c