• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piece missing out margin? If it affected story, shouldn't grader comments state that?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

I have an Avengers #4 (first Silver Age Captain America) graded 2.0 and the only grader comment was, "Piece missing out margin last page." It's a really nice looking cover and I thought the interior was nice, too. I'm not sure why it graded so low, but maybe that piece affected the story? I don't know because I bought this online at a reasonable price - but now I'm wondering how it got such a low grade. the CGC number is 0121531002. Any thoughts on why it might have graded so low?

s-l1600.jpg

Must have been a good sized piece for them to note it on the label. I think if it was a small chunk out here and there, it might be typical for the general condition or age. To note it specifically suggests to me something more significant. 

Maybe crack it to find out, not that big a gamble. Sure looks like it could grade higher on a resub. 

Would like to see a back photo. 

Edited by Lightning55

On 6/2/2023 at 7:16 PM, cannal said:

Any thoughts on why it might have graded so low?

Sure.  This book has a number of long color-breaking creases and scuffs (including a partial subscription-type crease), but your low-resolution scan is making this wear difficult to see.  Note also that the right edge of the front cover is not aligned with the right edge of the interior; this may (may!) indicate that the cover is detached from the interior.

A4b.thumb.jpg.467edcaa746eecaf5a16fbdc1b43fed6.jpg

The front cover wear that I can see by enlarging your image is significant enough to cap the grade at CGC 3.0.  When you account for the front cover wear that's obscured (plus the back cover, spine, and interior defects that aren't shown), an overall grade of CGC 2.0 seems reasonable.  On the other hand, this specific certification dates back to 2003.  I think most long-time users of CGC would agree that they were a bit harsher 20 years ago than they are today.

Remember, the quality of the feedback you receive here will be directly related to the quality and completeness of the images you provide.  :foryou:

Edited by zzutak

On 6/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, Pantodude said:

Agreed as to first part.  What did you mean by the highlighted part?  

I meant that the pages were cream to off-white, and none were loose or missing. The "piece missing out margin last page" was actually a clean cut of about 1" on the outside edge of the back cover. Maybe since it was the cover, it was treated as a more serious defect. In any event, it presents nicely. Here's the back view...

s-l1600.jpg

On 7/22/2023 at 4:18 PM, cannal said:

The "piece missing out margin last page" was actually a clean cut of about 1" on the outside edge of the back cover.

Hi.  Apparently, you resubbed the book?  Anyway, if it's the same book, the last interior page does appear to have a piece out at the bottom, left margin, so the highlighted remark was not about the cover.  The grade was largely due to how much was missing of the back cover, so yes, the book's front was nicer than a typical 1.0 (or even 2.0), likely due to that.  Nice overall for the grade, as the rear situation was at least neat.  (thumbsu

OMG. My bad. I did mix up the pictures. I had submitted an Avengers #1 as well, and my back cover picture is from that submission. Here's the back of the Avengers #4. It doesn't have anything missing from the back cover, so my bad. I confused the "piece missing out margin last page" with the back of my Avengers #1. Anyway, I ended up selling it on Ebay for a little over $700, so I'm happy. (That Avengers #1 sold for a little over $1600, so I'm happy about that, too).

s-l1600 (1).jpg