• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLink June 7 auction thread
4 4

93 posts in this topic

On 6/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, Xatari said:

I think a lot of collectors aren't paying attention to the description of the Batman Adventures #12 page (Harley baseball bat).  2/3 of the page is stats.  I spoke with several people who had placed tracking bids, but they didn't dive into the details.  

I guess because I swim in the shallow end of the pool I paid attention to the details. I thought, how ironic that the first interior appearance of Harley to have 2 stats. What is a collector to do? I guess I would be happy to have it—no different than a 1-panel 1st app?

On 6/4/2023 at 6:48 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Why do you think the price is astonishing?

its currently at $20K for three connecting covers, which is still cheap for JSC stuff

To be clear at time you wrote your post and time i am writing this post it is not at 20K. 20K is the Reserve which has not yet been met. In addition it is 1 of the 3 covers not all 3, they are being auctioned separately.  

Will it make the reserve is the ?  IMHO it should have been sold as a 3 cover lot, which may have been the logic you employed

Edited by MAR1979

I dropped my final bid on the piece I'm going for - we'll see how it shakes out tonight!

Looks like the big JSC signed cover is one bid under the reserve, and the other two are in the $5k-$6k range.

Batman Adventures N12P7 is at $29k with 2/3 of the page as a stat (as another boardie mentioned) I don't know much about pages from that issue, but holy cow: $29k for mostly glued on reproductions? It's talking head counterpart page later on in the issue is at $26k - so it seems that maybe people don't care as long as they can get a page from that issue? I admittedly don't know much about the collectability of the "first appearance" or "birthing" aspect of original art - that seems to be really driving these two pages.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I dropped my final bid on the piece I'm going for - we'll see how it shakes out tonight!

Looks like the big JSC signed cover is one bid under the reserve, and the other two are in the $5k-$6k range.

Batman Adventures N12P7 is at $29k with 2/3 of the page as a stat (as another boardie mentioned) I don't know much about pages from that issue, but holy cow: $29k for mostly glued on reproductions? It's talking head counterpart page later on in the issue is at $26k - so it seems that maybe people don't care as long as they can get a page from that issue? I admittedly don't know much about the collectability of the "first appearance" or "birthing" aspect of original art - that seems to be really driving these two pages.

Think you nailed it with the part I bolded.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:15 AM, MAR1979 said:

Think you nailed it with the part I bolded.

That's one of the many facets of original art that I enjoy watching from afar. There are a lot of variables that open up collector potential for a page. First appearances. Art teams. Eras. Fan favorite issues. Stylistic choices. One of those attributes can bring up the value, but combine several of them for an even wider audience appeal and it starts to go crazy. The more I look at it this morning, the more I think Batman Adventures 12 hits all of those things and is really making those pieces move because - like we talked about - people want a piece of that issue.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Already outbid. lol

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dglory%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1683957&id=1683957&itemType=1#detail

I'll admit, I am a novice to what this page might fetch - it's a pretty well-recognized Image piece by Deodato, which was a splash page, not a cover - which I thought might work in my favor on final cost. However, it was also made into a poster - which was a popular seller in the 90s. I thought it might hold strong at $2200 - but I have no idea if it will sell at $2400 or get to $5k.

I won three of his Purgatori covers in the last auction, which I like to think I got at a fair price because people might have been waiting to throw down on this Glory piece (the preview for this Glory piece came out two weeks before the auctions for the three covers ended).

On 6/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Wow went for $25,837... time to get signatures across all my art lol

On 6/7/2023 at 7:03 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Wow went for $25,837... time to get signatures across all my art lol

It will be interesting to find out if same buyer snagged the other two covers!

Mike Parobeck Harley..... $97k + on 12 pg. 7 absolutely the page for me if I had that kind of cabbage stored in the refrigerator. Pg. 9 a healthy $67,000. Comiclink storming back with a results oriented homerun auction.

That 16x21 Frank Miller Punisher at under 4900 was a great buy. 

On 6/7/2023 at 6:45 PM, tth2 said:

It was only a matter of time before a Sandman page broke $100k.

This is a page that really makes a fan consider mortgaging the home. Might not see this one again for twenty years.

I ended up not going on anything tonight.

The Glory pinup just because the character isn't around much anymore since the complete redesign in 2012.

The two Bruce Timm pieces just because I have a few and decided to hold off.

The Adam Hughes Ghost cover because I already have a different Ghost cover that I like better by Hughes - though that one I was very on the fence on, but decided not to after flipping through the Heritage book in the mail today. And there are a few other characters by specific artists that I'd like to get out there.

Congrats to anyone who picked up what they were waiting gunning for.