• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1ST appearance(s) of animated style Batman ?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just posted a couple of Batman The Animated Series pieces;
these might be the first published appearances of the Timm style Batman:

Bat_resized_0002.thumb.jpg.4e2fde26e3f11ddc3687f5c6b943c1bd.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1927396

and

Bat_resized_0001.thumb.jpg.d168f00043e3952442a1e9cca9aae59f.jpg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1927403

Both were created for the original series style guide and were later used in countless
merchandise items.

I have more details in my CAF posts, but I'm trying to figure out if the top image could be considered
the first published image of the animated Batman.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks !

Edited by Gal Schwartz

I believe the first published image may have been sold last year on Heritage.  It was a newspaper promotional ad with Harley as well. I could be wrong, but that's the earliest I have found.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/miscellaneous/batman-the-animated-series-joker-harley-quinn-and-batman-publicity-cel-with-key-master-background-warner-brothers-/a/7270-91002.s

Here is a video discussing the Wizard #12 issue for reference.  Your Batman image comes up at the 1:11:20 mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wizard+%2312+published+augugst+1992&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS953US958&sxsrf=APwXEdchGmQ2ny-ehD7gZuz7LrxzFhu6aQ%3A1685900636658&ei=XM18ZM_ZJ6_QkPIP6faF2AE&ved=0ahUKEwjP98uklar_AhUvKEQIHWl7ARsQ4dUDCBA&uact=5&oq=wizard+%2312+published+augugst+1992&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIFCAAQogQyBQgAEKIEOgsIABCKBRCGAxCwA0oECEEYAVCpBFipBGCdCmgBcAB4AIABeIgBeJIBAzAuMZgBAKABAcABAcgBAg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c539861c,vid:aagNkeKZ4VY

Edit: looks like your Batman head from Wizard magazine may predate this Batman ad by a week or two if you can figure out the release date, so yours could be first animated Batman, but the cel ad would be first Harley Quinn.

Edited by Xatari

Great images! Congratulations on adding them to your collection.

For those OA collectors who hunt first appearances, how much importance is placed on ads or promotional material? Will a first appearance in a comic book be viewed as more or less desirable than an earlier advertisement or promo? 

TL;DR I prefer the Comic appearance over everything in most cases.

It’s a tough call. I personally go after the first comic appearance myself. 

For example, Jim Cheung’s Young Avengers actually appear in the Marvel Young Guns Sketchbook as concept art. I own several pieces from that issue but place much great importance on first issue of the series in which they appear. 

Something like Harley Quinn is difficult because she appears on the ad, the. Animated cels, then a book/tape combo, then Batman Adventures #12. I couldn’t afford the ad that sold last year but would have been a buyer had it gone for much less. I own several cels from Joker’s Favor (her first animated episode) along with the actual sketch art used to make the cels. BA12 is still going to be more valuable than the cels but likely less than the ad in this particular case because of her origination in animation. She is really sort of the one-off character that gets very convoluted.

Edited by Xatari

On 6/4/2023 at 9:32 PM, Xatari said:

TL;DR I prefer the Comic appearance over everything in most cases.

It’s a tough call. I personally go after the first comic appearance myself. 

For example, Jim Cheung’s Young Avengers actually appear in the Marvel Young Guns Sketchbook as concept art. I own several pieces from that issue but place much great importance on first issue of the series in which they appear. 

Something like Harley Quinn is difficult because she appears on the ad, the. Animated cels, then a book/tape combo, then Batman Adventures #12. I couldn’t afford the ad that sold last year but would have been a buyer had it gone for much less. I own several cels from Joker’s Favor (her first animated episode) along with the actual sketch art used to make the cels. BA12 is still going to be more valuable than the cels but likely less than the ad in this particular case because of her origination in animation. She is really sort of the one-off character that gets very convoluted.

Do you have the Harley animation art posted anywhere? 
I have only one cel drawing from the episode  

The Jokers Favor animation art I’ve seen sell, goes for way less than BA12 art , or even her DCU 1st appearance in Batman Harley Quinn. Which I sort of get, there are hundreds of cels with her from the episode. (If they all survived)

… but is it mostly because more people collect comics & comic art than animation art. (Or just have deeper pockets?)

The Harley Quinn grail for me would be the Bruce Timm early version that appears in black and white , in the coloring book & style guide. The others from the golden book, or animation, came much after (and are even further removed from her creators, who had no hand in drawing)

IMG_8157.png

IMG_0568.jpeg

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

On 6/5/2023 at 6:24 AM, Xatari said:

Here are a few. I also have a shot from the front for the same scene. 

Resized_20220925_194118.thumb.jpeg.6c8665c54a3541e8e12d35a56f2c3ee2.jpegResized_1664123762844.thumb.jpeg.fdc3801f7baf2d63188c9b201150cd25.jpeg

Beautiful artwork ! Personally, I think the cells and style guide art represent her better than Batman Adventures #12.
I love Mike Parobeck's artwork, but his initial depiction of Harley was a bit rough (IMO, he got a better handle of her
in later issues).

On 6/5/2023 at 5:54 AM, Catwoman_Fan said:

Do you have the Harley animation art posted anywhere? 
I have only one cel drawing from the episode  

The Jokers Favor animation art I’ve seen sell, goes for way less than BA12 art , or even her DCU 1st appearance in Batman Harley Quinn. Which I sort of get, there are hundreds of cels with her from the episode. (If they all survived)

… but is it mostly because more people collect comics & comic art than animation art. (Or just have deeper pockets?)

The Harley Quinn grail for me would be the Bruce Timm early version that appears in black and white , in the coloring book & style guide. The others from the golden book, or animation, came much after (and are even further removed from her creators, who had no hand in drawing)

IMG_8157.png

Who did the art on this book ?

On 6/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, grapeape said:

These are terrific pieces thanks for posting them on CAF. Also love the Joker's Favor episode. I'd like to see more BAS art of all kinds appear on this thread.. 

the batman pieces are very nice, agreed.   Btw Mr Ape, your avatar reminded me that some original set Mtg Oa is on HA right now.   Lich, Swamp, Phantom Monster.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/5/2023 at 6:46 AM, Gal Schwartz said:

Who did the art on this book ?

The Golden book (with cassette) is Al Bigley pencils and Mike DeCarlo inks. 

Michael, Here is my animation from Joker’s Favor  ♦️🃏

Finally, here’s how Harley’s “first appearance” appears in the BTAS coloring book.

It’s always been attributed to Bruce, but who knows if it was re-inked for the style guide, similar to Gal’s published pieces.  Her pose and the HQ logo are straight from the guide  

IMG_3508.jpeg

DEFADE24-D207-4658-A06D-65A038BAC57D-3556-0000021A551D96BB.jpeg

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

Someone on FB brought to my attention that there was this press kit pop up book that has a trademark stamp of 1991.
I can't really tell when or where it was actually 
distributed, could anyone shed some light on this ?

q8qca3juvrd41.thumb.jpg.3a742c79c462c6c69285b06d3f018b85.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, Gal Schwartz said:

Someone on FB brought to my attention that there was this press kit pop up book that has a trademark stamp of 1991.
I can't really tell when or where it was actually 
distributed, could anyone shed some light on this ?

q8qca3juvrd41.thumb.jpg.3a742c79c462c6c69285b06d3f018b85.jpg

It’s just a guess, but judging from the date, and that piece in the lower right corner, I’d guess this was made for the TV upfront announcement for the show. (Usually in NYC in early May). They sometimes make presentation packets and promotional stuff for the press, and this could be that, imo.

the art is really nice, but boy those red lines are distracting.   I'm sure anyone who buys it won't care in the least, but it would hinder my personal enjoyment of those pages.    Do other people care?   Not care?   about redlines like that?