• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Connect June 5 Auction
2 2

25 posts in this topic

Some great stuff for the under $500 crowd tonight, picked up 2 fun pages! Was also tracking the Kubert B&B Hawkman page and saw it hammer at $5635 (w/BP), the lowest price I've seen in years for one of these -- and not much of a return compared to the HA sale seven years ago! 

Screenshot_20230605_214245_Chrome.jpg

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 6/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Was also tracking the Kubert B&B Hawkman page and saw it hammer at $5635 (w/BP), the lowest price I've seen in years for one of these -- and not much of a return compared to the HA sale seven years ago!

Looks like ComicLink has passed on the mantle of "The Auction House Where Bargains Can Still Be Found!" to ComicConnect.

On 6/5/2023 at 11:54 PM, tth2 said:

Looks like ComicLink has passed on the mantle of "The Auction House Where Bargains Can Still Be Found!" to ComicConnect.

What it suggests to me is a mature market. Instead of virtually everything going up a lot, buyers are differentiating, with older product that is less than premium grade not being bought as much as the population grays out. This has been predicted by some of us for a while. It would not surprise me if low grade Silver Age art begins to actually drop.

On 6/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, stinkininkin said:

All I know is that I targeted and bid super aggressively on one piece I badly wanted and still got beat out. Bargains for thee, but not for me.

HMMM, was it this beauty perhaps? Inks are very nice...

mar131.71.jpg

On 6/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, stinkininkin said:

All I know is that I targeted and bid super aggressively on one piece I badly wanted and still got beat out. Bargains for thee, but not for me.

Everybody got massacred on the Ploog-on-Ploog WWBN page. :ohnoez:

On 6/6/2023 at 12:26 PM, delekkerste said:

Everybody got massacred on the Ploog-on-Ploog WWBN page. :ohnoez:

Bingo! That's the one. What a great page. I told some friends a few weeks ago that it was probably going to take 20k plus to get it, but I didn't WANT to believe it! :facepalm: Sadly, I was on target. But it was such an A+ example, the type of art that's worth the "overpay".

On 6/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, stinkininkin said:

Welcome to my life! 

On 6/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, stinkininkin said:

By the way, one of the selling points Comic Connect was pushing was that it was the only Ploog pencils/inks Werewolf By Night issue (and I agree that Ploog on Ploog should be worthy of a premium). Technically true, but that said, there were several issues of Ploog on Ploog Werewolf stories in Marvel Spotlight where, like Ploog Ghost Rider, the character made his debut. I have a great example of one those Ploog squared Werewolf pages in my collection, and they are killer in person. You really see the Eisner manifest when Ploog inks himself... 

Ploog MS 3 page.JPG

That page is spectacular (worship)

I can't see what their auction results were. This is a first. In the past, I was always able to see the sold for price on CC's auctions. Why would they go through the effort of doing away with that feature? Are they scared to show the results?

Edited by KingOfRulers

On 6/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, KingOfRulers said:

I can't see what their auction results were. This is a first. In the past, I was always able to see the sold for price on CC's auctions. Why would they go through the effort of doing away with that feature? Are they scared to show the results?

Try this: https://comicarttracker.com/comicconnect-auctions/2023-06-06?results

Seems the average pages have definitely seen a major correction the great pieces seem to be holding or increasing… saw some of the walking dead con variants sell pretty light by solid artists great pick up to who ever got those… these auction houses need to get smarter and not do all their big auctions at the same time :)